Adam Smith

It’s obviously a cliche saying oh Bournemouth has a nice beach I’ll sign for them then. But there is some merit to it as well.

Yes there are some really nice expensive villages within an hour of every club but that’s not necessarily what every family wants. If they have kids they might prefer living in a city or large town with all the amenities it has to offer.

If you are coming from abroad, somewhere like Bournemouth with its language schools and expat communities might be more attractive than a small village in Yorkshire.

There’s nots of reasons why a player wants to join a particular club, but since a nice house is a given then there’s more to it than that.

Genuinely has to be the best place to live in England when including sandbanks and surrounding area.

It’s obviously a cliche saying oh Bournemouth has a nice beach I’ll sign for them then. But there is some merit to it as well.

Yes there are some really nice expensive villages within an hour of every club but that’s not necessarily what every family wants. If they have kids they might prefer living in a city or large town with all the amenities it has to offer.

If you are coming from abroad, somewhere like Bournemouth with its language schools and expat communities might be more attractive than a small village in Yorkshire.

There’s nots of reasons why a player wants to join a particular club, but since a nice house is a given then there’s more to it than that.

Yeah, I doubt many are living in sleepy villages as such. They'll be close to Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, London etc. Kids going to private school, socializing in similar circles.

Reality and evidence indicates that most professionals enjoying a lucrative, but short career aren't picking clubs for having a nice beach or language schools.... and tbh outside of the beach, the major cities offer a lot more than this area does.
If a bigger club, paying more money comes in for them they're going to choose Man Utd/City, Liverpool, Chelsea. Even Palace, West Ham, Villa will be a bigger draw to many as probably pay a slightly more and living in one of the worlds major cities probably more exciting to most loaded 20 year olds for one reason or another.

Howe indicated over the past few close seasons that a lot of players chose other teams and weren;t interested in joining us. I;m assuming he's talking about fairly realistic players as well and not battling it for the likes of Aubameyang or Alisson.

Last edited:
Can't see him going to Burnley as he can't play Rugby and he's 5 foot 5.

As others have said, I don’t think the fact it’s Burnley would be the draw - it’s the fact it’s PL football and wages that would be the lure.
AFCB players/staff have form for making the move... Howe & Tindall, Elliott, Spicer, O’Connor.

Would like to see him stay - as others have said, he’s got that drive to push the team forwards. His versatility is also useful. He’s a bit like today’s version of Steven Purches.

Last edited:

You're aware that Manchester is less than 20 miles away from Burnley? Leeds less than thirty miles away?

Bournemouth is warmer than Burnley and surrounding area. No argument there. But apart from that, there is nothing in the Bournemouth area that can't be found in and around Burnley too. We're all entitled to believe that we live in earthly paradises, and I certainly wouldn't swap where I live for Bournemouth any more than you would go the other way; but to a footballer, Bournemouth does not have material advantages (apart from weather) over the North West.

Errrr what.

You're aware that Manchester is less than 20 miles away from Burnley? Leeds less than thirty miles away?

Bournemouth is warmer than Burnley and surrounding area. No argument there. But apart from that, there is nothing in the Bournemouth area that can't be found in and around Burnley too. We're all entitled to believe that we live in earthly paradises, and I certainly wouldn't swap where I live for Bournemouth any more than you would go the other way; but to a footballer, Bournemouth does not have material advantages (apart from weather) over the North West.

Yes. I didn’t even mention Burnley. The point remains some footballers would prefer to live in Canford Cliffs despite Corfe Castle being less than 20 miles away from Bournemouth. For others it might be the other way round. Thanks for the geography lesson though :rolleyes:

I went to your village in 2005 in the FA Cup game, phucking grim, no prospects there, a thoroughly depressing place, full of foreign nonces and I was genuinely insulted that Eddie and Wade Elliott choose you because you were a league higher in the Championship. And as you say your not far from many massive clubs so you have by far reached your ceiling, you'll never be any bigger and don't have any potential and you had wooden seats in the away end and I thought these bastards are hoping an away fan lights up a fag and lights the place up like what happened at Bradford, probably some insurance scam, that said I felt lighting myself up in the 3 hours I was in Burnley

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I didn’t even mention Burnley. The point remains some footballers would prefer to live in Canford Cliffs despite Corfe Castle being less than 20 miles away from Bournemouth. For others it might be the other way round. Thanks for the geography lesson though :rolleyes:
Sorry. What were you talking about on the thread headed "Adam Smith - Burnley"?

I went to your village in 2005 in the FA Cup game, phucking grim, no prospects there, a thoroughly depressing place, full of foreign nonces and I was genuinely insulted that Eddie and Wade Elliott choose you because you were a league higher in the Championship. And as you say your not far from many massive clubs so you have by far reached your ceiling, you'll never be any bigger and don't have any potential and you had wooden seats in the away end and I thought these bastards are hoping an away fan lights up a fag and lights the place up like what happened at Bradford, probably some insurance scam, that said I felt lighting myself up in the 3 hours I was in Burnley
This is what you post after editing? :confused:

Sorry. What were you talking about on the thread headed "Adam Smith - Burnley"?
My point was not to compare Bournemouth to Burnley it is that there are various reasons why players might choose to join a particular club. For some a perceived “earthly paradise” might be irrelevant but you can’t discount that factor entirely either. Some players will just go where the money is. Others will feel a connection with one place over another.

Agree, unless you're really into watersports or the beach it doesn't have more to offer than other places, in fact a fair bit less on a lot of activities/leisure pursuits compared to living in or near the major cities.

A generalization that is often cited is we're not as friendly, sociable, more reserved compared to people further up the country.

I know people will cite they've lived elsewhere and this place is a paradise compared to those areas, but equally I have friends/acquaintances that have moved down from Manchester, Essex, Shropshire etc and overall they prefer where they originated from.

Last edited:
I know I'm going to be in the minority on this one but Bournemouth is my least favourite place that I've lived in.

Couldn't wait to leave when I turned 18. Came back in my mid-late 30s thinking it would feel different now I was older and had young children but we both quickly realised it was a big mistake.

I know I'm going to be in the minority on this one but Bournemouth is my least favourite place that I've lived in.

Couldn't wait to leave when I turned 18. Came back in my mid-late 30s thinking it would feel different now I was older and had young children but we both quickly realised it was a big mistake.
Any particular reason K? I left Bournemouth & Poole when I was ~ early 20s for city life, work and relationship etc reasons, and soon realised I wasn't happy away from the place. Moved back full time in early 30s bringing family with me.

IMHO it's got the right balance of being urban enough without being as oppressive and stressful as a proper city. I also realised the value that seeing our beach/sea and local countryside semi regularly had on my mood/health.

Each to their own and all that!

I dont find living in the conurbation very pleasant anymore. Altho it has/had natural beauty, its too busy, roads are not great, people are generally not the best for a variety of reasons. I would almost certainly move elsewhere if it wasn't for part time caring for an elderly parent. There are lots of great places in this country, and bournemouth is seriously overrated imo.

Agree, unless you're really into watersports or the beach it doesn't have more to offer than other places, in fact a fair bit less on a lot of activities/leisure pursuits compared to living in or near the major cities.

A generalization that is often cited is we're not as friendly, sociable, more reserved compared to people further up the country.

I know people will cite they've lived elsewhere and this place is a paradise compared to those areas, but equally I have friends/acquaintances that have moved down from Manchester, Essex, Shropshire etc and overall they prefer where they originated from.

Nowhere is paradise is it. I know countless examples of people who moved down south and would never go back, my parents included. Personally I love the North too and would live up there no problem if all my family weren't here. I wouldn't say they were better by any stretch though.

Quality of life is more about the people you spend time with rather than the places you spend time in my book.

;