AFC Bournemouth v Arsenal

I may be alone in this, but I reckon PhilBill could do a job at 9

He’s pretty quick, pretty physical and has a great shot on him

Apart from his hexagonal head he has the attributes to play up front
It's an interesting thought and could work a little, but overall I don't buy it. He has the striking/finishing skill and can link up well with other players on the ground, but I barely ever see him excel in physical battles and his speed doesn't seem to be applied in beating players with quick bursts (maybe he is capable, just feel I haven't seen much of it). Without being able to physically battle center backs or blaze past them, he would be bullied off pretty much any long ball and we'd be losing ability to hold up play with aerial balls or stretch them by running down the channels. If anything, he'd play more as a false 9, linking up and getting his own shots off but avoiding direct confrontation with CBs in the way Solanke does currently. I'd love to see it work just as I'd love to see anything work for us, just don't think it would.

I think you would be alone in that. Could never see him holding the ball up with his back to goal, running the channels etc. it’s such a different skill set. His strength is late runs into the box from deep. He’s our Frank Lampard equivalent, Lampard was clearly a far superior player but despite how clinical he was he never played up front either. Not a chance Billing could play that role imo.

Not a bad idea, his talents are wasted in midfield. He wouldn’t have to be scared of heading the ball either as we never swing crosses in despite having 17 wingers (ND)

Is Christie the current scapegoat?

Probably one of the first names on the team sheet, and understandably so.
It’s a tough one and certainly not a scapegoat. Also hugely improved on last season and works harder than anyone. It’s difficult to write this without it looking like having a pop which isn’t intended. Can’t fall out with what he is doing on the pitch just that as a number 10 it’s not for him unless something clicks soon.

The number 10 is your slide rule pass and the second top scorer. A reliable finisher and an unlocker of defences. Christie is none of those things.

You could just about get away with it if the front three were prolific but they’re not. You could also convincingly argue they might be more prolific if they had a number ten that actually created chances with their vision.

Billing is not perfect but he is up there with top scorers and in tight games last year he was often the difference. We’ve sacrificed all that to play Christie because he leads a press well. To me it’s a mistake.

Well I'm looking forward to the match, the more I see of Andoni's team, the more I see us trying to win not trying not to lose. No matter what squad we've got, who can play, who won't play, , who's the bestest 10, who's a better 8, it doesn't worry me. I'm more interested in seeing us trying to outscore whoever, it's obvious it won't happen all the time but it's what motivates to get out the house and be part of it : )

I love watching A.F.C.B play and I appreciate how lucky I am being able to do it. I love being part of the crowd home and away. I enjoy being part of the community on here ( even if I don't have time to post on here as often as I'd like). We're all entitled to express opinions on here ( it's why Vitals exists), my opinion is, we're looking to win by being bolder not not lose ala the past 2 seasons : )

Things are progressing off the pitch, the club are spending £30 million, that's £30 flippin' million on a state of the art training ground. Since we stopped chugging along in the 3rd and 4th division and joined the Soccerati Elite a decade ago, it's obvious the ground's not big enough. A new, bigger ground is getting closer to the horizon, there's every chance we'll be able to see it coming over the horizon sometime. I really want other families and fans to be able to experience what I do in watching our local club. Until then, we are were we are, the club owners won't get everything right, they won't get everything wrong either. Imagine if a Brit went over there and bought a sports franchise, there'd be ( as they say) a lot of "churn". One way to judge the owners is, if they make mistakes, how do they deal with it : )

C'mon on you REDDDDSSSSSS : )

Edited to add this was written before I'd read the past 24hours posts on the Tedshed update thread : )

Last edited:
It’s a tough one and certainly not a scapegoat. Also hugely improved on last season and works harder than anyone. It’s difficult to write this without it looking like having a pop which isn’t intended. Can’t fall out with what he is doing on the pitch just that as a number 10 it’s not for him unless something clicks soon.

The number 10 is your slide rule pass and the second top scorer. A reliable finisher and an unlocker of defences. Christie is none of those things.

You could just about get away with it if the front three were prolific but they’re not. You could also convincingly argue they might be more prolific if they had a number ten that actually created chances with their vision.

Billing is not perfect but he is up there with top scorers and in tight games last year he was often the difference. We’ve sacrificed all that to play Christie because he leads a press well. To me it’s a mistake.
Agree with all of this. Christie doesn’t do his job but is worthy of his place in the 11 due to effort and commitment, just swap with Billing?
It’s real difficult to call this, for some 40 years he’s the man we would’ve loved at DC, we’re better now and have to compete with a different standard of player, it seems cruel to leave him out but the team matters more and he, in my opinion has to be the one to go

Just managed to sit down and read the last 3 pages of the usual drivel from the 4 posters who clogg this message board up....God it is boring......
We have a great shot tomorrow....expect nothing, anything is a bonus, we have a good shot at getting a point...maybe more...if we don't it certainly isn't the end of the world...am glad the normal life long supporters aren't like the t@ats that post on here looking for reactions......that's social media I suppose
UTCIAD

Some really good points there Neil. I still think that Billing can play the 8 role, and he's clever enough to eventually find the space to chip in with goals.

You are reality and realism and I claim my £10
Haha, no. I’m just optimistic.

The team is starting matches well. I’m confident that if the team makes it with a lead to the break, Tyler Adams playing a good part of the second half can help secure that first win.

We also have our own pessimist in the Athletic Bilbao forum btw!!

Thing is though, he doesn’t actually work harder than anyone. Well, by that I mean he doesn’t cover the most ground of all the players in our team, that accolade goes to Phillip anyway. So I just don’t understand why he wouldn’t play Billing there.

As well as Christie has played I agree we need to play Billing there, or even Traore. Christie just doesn't pose enough of a threat in the final third.

I agree. Billing is far better being utilised further up the pitch. He is certainly not a central midfield player and has a goal or two in him when used further forward.

Well I'm looking forward to the match, the more I see of Andoni's team, the more I see us trying to win not trying not to lose. No matter what squad we've got, who can play, who won't play, , who's the bestest 10, who's a better 8, it doesn't worry me. I'm more interested in seeing us trying to outscore whoever, it's obvious it won't happen all the time but it's what motivates to get out the house and be part of it : )

I love watching A.F.C.B play and I appreciate how lucky I am being able to do it. I love being part of the crowd home and away. I enjoy being part of the community on here ( even if I don't have time to post on here as often as I'd like). We're all entitled to express opinions on here ( it's why Vitals exists), my opinion is, we're looking to win by being bolder not not lose ala the past 2 seasons : )

Things are progressing off the pitch, the club are spending £30 million, that's £30 flippin' million on a state of the art training ground. Since we stopped chugging along in the 3rd and 4th division and joined the Soccerati Elite a decade ago, it's obvious the ground's not big enough. A new, bigger ground is getting closer to the horizon, there's every chance we'll be able to see it coming over the horizon sometime. I really want other families and fans to be able to experience what I do in watching our local club. Until then, we are were we are, the club owners won't get everything right, they won't get everything wrong either. Imagine if a Brit went over there and bought a sports franchise, there'd be ( as they say) a lot of "churn". One way to judge the owners is, if they make mistakes, how do they deal with it : )

C'mon on you REDDDDSSSSSS : )

Edited to add this was written before I'd read the past 24hours posts on the Tedshed update thread : )
What a great post. I'd have you in my lifeboat Table (after making room for Mrs Table of course)

Some of the repeated arguments against Christie are plain wrong.

Obviously performances are subjective, but claiming he doesn’t create enough through balls (hes played one through ball less than James Maddison this season and more than anyone else in our side) is just nonsense.

He’s also got the highest key passes in our squad to date (which on average is 0.5 higher per game than Billing’s average last season).

Some of the repeated arguments against Christie are plain wrong.

Obviously performances are subjective, but claiming he doesn’t create enough through balls (hes played one through ball less than James Maddison this season and more than anyone else in our side) is just nonsense.

He’s also got the highest key passes in our squad to date (which on average is 0.5 higher per game than Billing’s average last season).
Its clear he's up there with Dom as AIs favourite players. His pressing and work rate are clearly what's admired. Regardless of running stats etc, its clear from watching who is implementing the style AI wants.
There's no way he'll be dropped, i get the arguments for Phil but he also I'd integral in the team.

Reactions: DJ

;