AFC Bournemouth v Blackpool

billythekid

UTC Legend
Our referee is Stephen Martin.

He only was referee for one of our games last season at home against Bristol City.

Battle Of The Seaside Towns

The Cherries are back home at Dean Court on Saturday at 3 pm after their two away trips and two wins. It was a goalless first half at St Andrew’s which didn’t see a shot on goal from the Cherries. But two well timed substitutions by Scott Parker in the second half on the 60th and 69th minute bringing on Junior Stanislas back from injury and Ben Pearson from illness, their experience changed the game in AFCB’s favour. It was Ben Pearson’s 77th minute through ball that put Dominic Solanke away down the right, under pressure from a Birmingham player Solanke coolly slotted the ball into the far corner from an acute angle to give AFCB the lead. Then 10 minutes later it was the turn of two inexperienced younger players Ibsen Rossi and Jaidon Anthony to get our second goal and put the game to bed. Rossi’s knockdown was swept into the back of the net by Anthony.

Our next opponents are from another seaside resort, Blackpool. Blackpool’s manager is Neil Critchley, he took over from Simon Grayson in March 2020. Critchley had previously been in charge of the Liverpool Under 23’s. In Critchley’s first full season (20-21) in charge, Blackpool were promoted up into the Championship, when they beat Lincoln City in the League 1 play-off final. Critchley’s club have made a number of signings in the transfer window for this season.

The last time they were in the Championship was in AFCB’s Championship winning season of 2014-15, as the Cherries went up, Blackpool went down into League 1 after finishing bottom, they had been in the Championship for four seasons. Ian Holloway was appointed manager for the 2009-10 season, in his first season in charge, he got Blackpool into the play-offs and into the final where they beat Cardiff City 3-2, to go up into the Premier League for the first time.

In their opening game Blackpool drew 1-1 away at Bristol City. In their first home game they lost 0-2 against Cardiff City.

We last played Blackpool at Dean Court in March 2015, AFCB won 4-0, this included a first half hat-trick from Brett Pitman, in our previous away game at Fulham, he scored a brace. In the second half after Marc Pugh was brought down in the box, Callum Wilson converted from the spot.

In our home games in the league against Blackpool, AFCB have W 7, D 4, L 7.

All competitions, AFCB have W 14, D 10, L 17.

AFCB Team News
David Brooks will be available again after his one match suspension. After the return of Ben Pearson and Dominic Solanke our side could have one or two more senior players available after injury, plus one or two new faces.

AFCB Player To Watch
So far it has been about a team performance rather than individual performances. But again it was the younger players who caught my eye, especially Jordan Zemura. He worked tirelessly and made one great stop to avert a second half Birmingham City goal. He also has a good understanding with Jaidon Anthony.

Blackpool Team News
Players who have been out injured. Daniel Gretarsson, Gary Madine, Kevin Stewart Matty Virtue and Demetri Mitchell.

Blackpool Player To Watch
Jerry Yates 20 league goals in 43 starts and 3 as a sub, helped his team win promotion via the play-offs, he also had 8 assists. Another player and what looks like could be an exciting prospect for them, is 22-year-old Shayne Lavery their signing from Linfield of the Northern Irish Premier League where he was a prolific scorer. Last season in the league, he scored 23 goals in 17 games. In all for his old club over two seasons, he scored 33 goals in 27 league appearances.

If everything comes off then... Cahill, Rogers, Pearson, Stanislas and Brooks. No matter if any are shuffled into the starting XI, it will be nice to have options on rhe bench. You can see the difference it made last night.

Wonder if Rogers and/or Cahill will be ready to be involved. I wouldn't throw them straight into start (no need), but having them on the bench would be a massive boost to our matchday squad.

Brooks will come back, that helps.

Pearson and Stanislas having played 30 minutes will be options as well, again perhaps from the bench.

So I'd guess the same starting lineup again just with Brooks returning, but with more options for later in the game.

Blackpool....if only we had their FA Cup history pedigree on our CV...the 53 Final...
..mind you the great Stan Matthews did play at DC. once as a Schoolboy International int' 1929 ..mesmeric player...like Ibe and Danjuma on the ball ...but with a very decent 'passing' element...if he got stuck !

Thankfully they only have the 'donkeys' off their beach and a few northern comedians to bring down on Saterdy ..to give it soom wag !

Shut up Brian ...that's asking for trouble !

Bringing my boy down for his first ever home game, which he is really excited about (as am I!). Does anyone know if the players are currently stopping and signing autographs/taking selfie’s etc at 1ish?! I know this used to happen but presume it had stopped due to COVID?

Sounds like Cahill won't be on the bench and no Rogers yet so there will be three 'first team' players on the bench. Still a big improvement.

I suspect the only change to the starting XI will be Brooks for Davis. That's no slight on LD, he gave it his all playing horribly out of position but he never looked comfortable there. I'm interested to see how ge gets on at LB when given the chance as he looked to have an engine on him.

Davis, Pearson and Stanislas as tactical options if we need to change something during the match. Feels like a luxury!

Here is our exclusive interview with the amazing Lee Charles TV! Find out about Blackpool's struggle with their owners, to the Championship - League 2 and the journey back with the Premier League years thrown in and more!

Watch here -

I fink if the Cherries gets 3 points v Blackpool..I will shift my thinking from mid - table to play- off near certs...because I see signs of Parker being a lot tougher and resolute than I thought weeks back...his interviews have been quite strong and convincin'...and he is getting 'sensibly' active in the player market !
I'm veering away slightly from Moansville ...it was starting to impinge on my good constitution !

I vaguely remembered this but had to google it to check. League cup second replay. Just over 2,000 in Villa Park must have been surreal.

Anyone alive then who wasn’t there is a plastic :)

5729DAA3-349E-4196-94D7-C7142721AA0D.jpeg

David Brooks is a key returnee for AFC Bournemouth as the Cherries look to maintain their unbeaten start on Saturday when they entertain Blackpool.

Brooks returns from his one-game suspension and could return to the starting line-up, while Jefferson Lerma is two games away from completing his own ban, which will conclude following Tuesday night's Carabao Cup tie at Norwich City.

Adam Smith remains absent through illness while Jack Stacey is unlikely to feature as he tries to shake off his quad injury.

https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/first-team/team-news-brooks-back-for-tangerines/

;