AFC Bournemouth v MK Dons - League Cup First Round

I emailed the club just over a fortnight ago asking what safety measures would be in place when the league games start (masks etc).

Mentioned that some of our elderly/underlying health conditions ST holders/fans, may be apprehensive in attending games even though outside are packed in tight without much space between rows/seats.

Had a very polite reply saying that the club were going through safety checks and he will be in touch and it will be announced on the official website.

Personally when I return I will wear a mask to protect myself and other fans nearby.

Seeing one or two pics of the game, I didn’t see many masks being worn except by the police.

This para was on the COWS website re the game today.

On arrival at Vitality Stadium, the club strongly recommend that face coverings continue to be worn and we would ask that you respect other supporters’ space and continue to practice good hand hygiene protocols.

Sanitiser will be available prior to entry via the turnstiles and again on the concourses.

Saw a lot more masks at the Chelsea game than today. Only saw a few older fans wearing them this afternoon . No one wearing them on concourse/ going in.

Are you going Friday Billy or inclined to stay away at the moment? I can certainly see your way of thinking and concerns.

Friday the game is in the evening and also on Sky, so may watch it that way, which saves my chauffeur (wife) coming out later to pick me up.

The following home game is against Blackpool on a Saturday 3 pm, which I intend to go to, but also clashes with my wife’s birthday and son coming down from London for it, so may be tricky. :grinning:

Friday the game is in the evening and also on Sky, so may watch it that way, which saves my chauffeur (wife) coming out later to pick me up.

The following home game is against Blackpool on a Saturday 3 pm, which I intend to go to, but also clashes with my wife’s birthday and son coming down from London for it, so may be tricky. :grinning:

Goodness me :grinning:

So impressed with the youngsters today.
I just thoroughly enjoyed the bloody game.
Didn’t have an orgasm but came close.
It is just so good to be back.
Loved Saydee’s celebrations…it made me believe in the romance of football again.
One word though:
Doesn’t Lloyd Kelly look so self assured and competent. He was a class above everyone else for me!

spot on, Snoots. Making Kelly captain is a good choice - should keep the armband when cookie returns.

the enthusiasm of the kids puts the pressure on the stars to step up their game. I am happy watching the youngsters give it a go.

however this means there needs be patience shown by the fans through as the kids will make errors. I like JZ as he flies into tackles like a human wrecking ball as he gets man and ball but you know he will be defensively exposed at times.

Up to you if you want to put your life on ‘Hold’ excuse the gag! Covid was the 26th cause of death in the UK last month. Flu was 7th. If you are worried about dying from something caught at an outdoor sports event it’s far more likely to be the common flu in which case nobody should ever leave their house between October and April.

Anyway, that aside and respecting people’s wishes if they want to stay at home I can’t believe the thousands of people who used to clamour for tickets are all shelterers unless we are going to have the same attendance for West Brom? More likely the gloss has gone and people can’t be arsed, even after 18 months away which to me is a poor show.
That wasn't very respecting of peoples wishes really.

Couldn't be there today but it was nice that we saw off a lower league side when it the recent past we've struggled to take this seriously.

Are the goals on YouTube?

Enjoyable. Not sure why so few people here after this long without competitive football. Good job we didn’t build that 20000 seater. Our fans are so disappointing sometimes ( not the ones here obvs).
Think you’re probably underestimating the affect of a League Cup 1st round tie being rearranged for a Saturday in July. Especially in a summer when many have rearranged holidays, weddings, events etc. Many will have I’m sure tried to keep the first Saturday of the season free (though clearly no longer needed thanks to the sky move), but I highly doubt many kept this Saturday free for football. I know I certainly didn’t.

What was the attendance? COWS has nothing.
League cup home attendances recently, 1st home game only.
16/17 R3 h v PNE 7595
17/18 R3 h v seaweed 10372
18/19 R2 h v MKD 9747
18/20 R2 h v forest green rvrs 9657

We weren't in round 1 of course.

It was the Betway cup final all over again, only I don't see MKdons challenging for Europe next season : )

After all the "boring Parkerball" talk from Fulham fans, I must admit I'm pleasantly surprised at how we've played in the last 2 matches. So long as the team work hard without the ball and try to get it forward fairly quickly, I'll be happy to go along and give as much support as I can : )

It reminded the Good lady of our League 1 days, an hour gone, 2 goals to the good, by far the best team and still going flat out for goals : )

Think I could count on one hand the number of masks I saw today.

Completely different to say a supermarket where most are still wearing them.

TBF they do ask that you move outside from the concourse swiftly unless you're eating/drinking. In which case (eating/drinking) why would you be wearing a mask anyway.

It felt absolutely back to normal and I treasure that personally.

16/17 R3 h v PNE 7595
18/19 R2 h v MKD 9747

Looked about 5,000

16/17 R3 h v PNE 7595
18/19 R2 h v MKD 9747

I'd estimate it at 7000.

For fear of turning this into a covid thread I don't think your point is the reason people are not taking risks.

Yes flu has a higher death rate, but it does not nearly affect you severely and for a prolonged period like covid can. The affects of long covid can be very debilitating and even life changing.
I disagree. There was a clinically obese guy just down from me, wearing a mask, eating a hot dog, with a bottle of coke followed by a family size Snickers. If ever there was someone that needed a lesson in risk it’s him! Protecting himself against the 26th cause of death last month while drastically increasing his chance of the number one cause of death. Modern Britain for you… go figure. At least he was there!

Anyway, back to the point. Unless you are telling me the West Brom game will have the same attendance (which we both know it won’t) and that all the people moaning about not being able to go last year are sheltering (which we both know they aren’t) then it’s a simple case of can’t be bothered.

The way to get a stadium built is not to whinge at a Russian oligarch for not doing it. It’s to turn up in numbers that would suggest to him he is mad not to.

The way to get a stadium built is not to whinge at a Russian oligarch for not doing it. It’s to turn up in numbers that would suggest to him he is mad not to.
Very true. A bigger stadium would be a vanity project and we‘ve seen plenty of those end badly. Max doesn’t strike me as that kind of guy. We should just hope for a stadium we own, in good condition and with all of the amenities players and fans require. Finances permitting, I‘m sure that’s the plan. But clearly now is not the time for bold decision making.

It really is hard to make the case for a brand new, much larger stadium at the moment. At least DC can generate a decent atmosphere, even with a relatively low number of fans in attendance.

I'm quite happy with DC just as it is, maybe the south end & corners can be improved one day. The training ground was always a PL keeping up with jones vanity project, very happy without it. Maybe improve the facilities at the existing Canford Arena site owned by the council.

On a separate note, what the heck was going on with the turnstiles today? Tickets not scanning, ticket holders being sent back to the ticket office, very large queues building and all this with the ground only two-thirds full? Friday night is going to be, ahem, ‘interesting.’

;