AFC Bournemouth v Newcastle United - Live On Sky 5.30 pm

You have to feel a bit sorry for EH really.
He spent all those years at AFCB trying to get a tune and some goals out of Dom with little success. It looked like we'd bought a pup.
Then he comes to DC and the same bloke pops up and scores two against his new club.

Funny old game !
Unfortunately he joined us having missed a lot of games through injury and was still injured when we signed him (yes, it used to happen under Eddie too) and was slow to regain match fitness given he was behind other players.

No doubt confidence was impacted too but that Leicester match when he scored twice helped him and, no doubt, as did 2 years at a lower level

I watched the game again last night. Some things stood out:
1. We never got exposed 4-on-4 in acres of space after opponents beat our high press, unlike previous matches. A lot due to:
2. Our back 4 stepping into midfield to close down attackers. First goal came from that by Kelly then Senesi then Cook (who had covered for Kelly)
3. Most of our chances came from early pressing. And rapid counter-attacks in the last 20 minutes, especially involving Sinisterra.
4. Newcastle didn't look like they fancied it. They didn't press our back 4. It was 4-6-0 or similar
5. Someone should do a highlight reel of Eddie and Jase puffing out their cheeks, shaking their heads, grimacing, shrugging their shoulders.
6. The opposing players were smiling with each other, helping each other up, concerned for injuries etc. It all looked very good-natured.
7. Christie wasn't actually involved very much in the first half (fewest touches in first 30 min), apart from his 2 shots. I guess he was closing gaps. He then turned into Duracell bunny on steroids in the second half. He gave the ball away badly a couple of times but raced around to solve the problem himself. For me, its the first time we've had 2 defensive midfielders.
8. Les Ferdinand and Jamie Redknapp gave Dom a hard time in his post-match interview. Dom confessed he wasn't single-minded enough when he got his first-half chance.
9. I like the way (it seems from a distance) that Iraola deals with the players, his coaching staff, everybody. He is very smiley but respectful and they respect him. He was having deep discussions with Elphick and Cooper and really listening to them. When he was giving messages to players on the field, he knew what he wanted and he said it briefly. (That isn't necessarily the impression I got a few games ago when players would look to the bench and look frustrated).
10. The formation worked well, it will be difficult to leave Kluivert out now, but Sinisterra's impact was dramatic

I watched the game again last night. Some things stood out:
1. We never got exposed 4-on-4 in acres of space after opponents beat our high press, unlike previous matches. A lot due to:
2. Our back 4 stepping into midfield to close down attackers. First goal came from that by Kelly then Senesi then Cook (who had covered for Kelly)
3. Most of our chances came from early pressing. And rapid counter-attacks in the last 20 minutes, especially involving Sinisterra.
4. Newcastle didn't look like they fancied it. They didn't press our back 4. It was 4-6-0 or similar
5. Someone should do a highlight reel of Eddie and Jase puffing out their cheeks, shaking their heads, grimacing, shrugging their shoulders.
6. The opposing players were smiling with each other, helping each other up, concerned for injuries etc. It all looked very good-natured.
7. Christie wasn't actually involved very much in the first half (fewest touches in first 30 min), apart from his 2 shots. I guess he was closing gaps. He then turned into Duracell bunny on steroids in the second half. He gave the ball away badly a couple of times but raced around to solve the problem himself. For me, its the first time we've had 2 defensive midfielders.
8. Les Ferdinand and Jamie Redknapp gave Dom a hard time in his post-match interview. Dom confessed he wasn't single-minded enough when he got his first-half chance.
9. I like the way (it seems from a distance) that Iraola deals with the players, his coaching staff, everybody. He is very smiley but respectful and they respect him. He was having deep discussions with Elphick and Cooper and really listening to them. When he was giving messages to players on the field, he knew what he wanted and he said it briefly. (That isn't necessarily the impression I got a few games ago when players would look to the bench and look frustrated).
10. The formation worked well, it will be difficult to leave Kluivert out now, but Sinisterra's impact was dramatic
Decent summary and all very positive but funny how we got beat 6-1 the last game before this ! I do think there were signs of improvement in that game though

You have to feel a bit sorry for EH really.
He spent all those years at AFCB trying to get a tune and some goals out of Dom with little success. It looked like we'd bought a pup.
Then he comes to DC and the same bloke pops up and scores two against his new club.

Funny old game !
EH didn't help himself by picking the out of form & sometimes not interested King & Wilson ahead of Solanke a lot of the time.
Especially in that relegation season.

EH didn't help himself by picking the out of form & sometimes not interested King & Wilson ahead of Solanke a lot of the time.
Especially in that relegation season.
Agree. That season King was already checked out and it looked like Callum was giving about 50% most games. A 100% Solanke would almost certainly have been a better option.

But maybe by then EH had already slightly lost faith in Solanke’s attributes.

Last edited:
I still don’t believe that was the case with Callum, more a distracted player in a squad that had lost interest.
I think that there is a fairly even split about that amongst our fans.
I am firmly in the camp that after the restart he really couldn’t be bothered, he probably already had his move lined up.
Too many times he jogged to get on the end of an overhit through ball and obviously didn’t get there, whereas previously he would have bust a gut and got on the end of it. For me he was clearly no longer committed to the cause towards the end of that season.

So that’s my opinion, others are available and equally valid because we’ll never know for sure ;)

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but I dont think it has... Was anyone surprised that Howe didn't offer any acknowledgement at all to the home fans...? I don't know if I am or not...

I think there was a moment when Howe an Iraola were with their respective players towards the North Stand and everyone singing Iraola, and rightly so... As Eddie gathered his team to head towards the away fans, he quickly stopped and looked towards the NS and looked like he was about too acknowledge us but quickly had second thoughts about clapping, be that because we were focused on Iraola (again, rightly so) or because he felt applauding us before them, having lost 2-0 to us is not the right thing to do... Who knows...

It think most were expecting something as Newcastle trudged off (with Iraola having already left), but nothing... and maybe the right thing to do given the circumstances... Maybe this is the time Eddie moved on...

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but I dont think it has... Was anyone surprised that Howe didn't offer any acknowledgement at all to the home fans...? I don't know if I am or not...

I think there was a moment when Howe an Iraola were with their respective players towards the North Stand and everyone singing Iraola, and rightly so... As Eddie gathered his team to head towards the away fans, he quickly stopped and looked towards the NS and looked like he was about too acknowledge us but quickly had second thoughts about clapping, be that because we were focused on Iraola (again, rightly so) or because he felt applauding us before them, having lost 2-0 to us is not the right thing to do... Who knows...

It think most were expecting something as Newcastle trudged off (with Iraola having already left), but nothing... and maybe the right thing to do given the circumstances... Maybe this is the time Eddie moved on...

Last time around was different, it was a draw and the first time he had come back since covid. He hadn’t had the chance to say goodbye and the afcb fans hadn’t had the chance to thank him. He will always be loved by us.

The Newcastle fans know he will always have that connection to us, but he needs them to like/want him and so he does what’s right by them. Why annoy any of them especially when some had already had a pop at the captain? It just wouldn’t have looked right for him and as always he reads every situation correctly.

I was a little surprised and sad to see Eddie trudge off without any nod. But having since heard about the altercation between some Newcastle fans and players after the final whistle, I can understand if Eddie thought it wasn't a good idea.

I hope and expect that behind the scenes Eddie would have made a point of shaking a few hands with club staff. Although come to think I guess there's been quite a turnover in recent years.

Don't worry. I'm sure that the love is still mutual but it is an awkward situation now. Last season, the first season where we faced him as a rival, was different.
Back then, displays of mutual respect and admiration were acceptable.
By now, both he and we should have moved on. We are PL rivals.
But on both sides the mutual love and respect will still be there, I'm sure.

:love: and respect will always remain.
Now is our time to get behind the Iraola era.
Now is EH's time to continue the good work he has started at NUFC.

There’s no chance this is accurate. Absolutely none, exhausted, exasperated at trying to get a bunch of players to assemble some personal pride maybe, but lost interest and was the main reason for the players lack of interest? No way.
You could tell Eddie wore the pain of relegation unlike many players

Pre covid thought callum was poor in his defensive duties leading to goals but reckon he just lost confidence.

Seemed no team spirit around Christmas time but after that watfird defeat but we had got it back together just as covid struck; beat villa Brighton and drew with Chelsea with narrow defeats at liverpool and Sheffield.

Thus, a quarter of our total points pre covid had just come from our last 3 home games. We were on track to stay up while Villa and Brighton in a nosedive. Wheels came off big style during lockdown whereas Villa and Brighton regrouped better.

Eddie looked broken at the end - in later interviews he said he wondered if players stopped listening to him. He hadn’t given up though.

;