AFC Bournemouth v Watford

Maybe we should try and get away from playing from the back and get back to the attacking style of football that got us promoted and was criticised by some pundits saying it won’t work in the PL.
Bit of a contradiction there as playing from the back was precisely what the pundits criticised back then...and still do now.

If you stand still in football then you go backwards. Going back to a style which was successful 5 years ago with new players won’t work. Clearly some evolution was necessary.

What you should do is keep the effective aspects of our play and eliminate the weaker aspects. We appear to have scrapped the parts which were effective, but stubbornly stuck with what wasn’t working

Travers practically kicked that ball into the goal himself....Even the best defence is going to get deflated when a goaltender gifts goals away

I was watching Callum's movement when our players had the ball,he never made any diagonal runs across their back line or looked for space to receive the ball,He stands with his back to goal with a marker tight on him then gets outfought for it when it comes.What has happened to his game,is he told to receive the ball constantly with his back to goal and not to make runs

Bit of a contradiction there as playing from the back was precisely what the pundits criticised back then...and still do now.

If you stand still in football then you go backwards. Going back to a style which was successful 5 years ago with new players won’t work. Clearly some evolution was necessary.

What you should do is keep the effective aspects of our play and eliminate the weaker aspects. We appear to have scrapped the parts which were effective, but stubbornly stuck with what wasn’t working

Ok, but we are not moving it quickly enough from the back. I remember when Francis alongside Ritchie used to get down the flanks at pace and get the ball into the danger zone, that’s not happening now.

The build up is so slow passing the ball around at the back and then as we have seen before we get punished like today.

I didn’t think Watford looked that good either for a lot of the game.

This game was being given a big build up with flags etc, but when push came to shove the players really didn’t join the ‘party’.

I was watching Callum's movement when our players had the ball,he never made any diagonal runs across their back line or looked for space to receive the ball,He stands with his back to goal with a marker tight on him then gets outfought for it when it comes.What has happened to his game,is he told to receive the ball constantly with his back to goal and not to make runs
Its called giving up, not the Callum we used to know.
But its up to Eddie to point this out to him.

Watford bossed us all over the pitch. I am usually optimistic but it's getting hard to be positive now, we offered sweet FA and 3-0 probably flattered us more than it did Watford.

That comment shows a certain lack of maturity I'm afraid. The first goal was all down to Francis throwing Travers under the bus.
It's not like Boruc is known for being good with his feet either. An incident against the very same side we lost to today springs immediately to mind...

Before the match I was concerned that Francis was going to be a full back but as it happened Ake played LB.
Disappointed that Stan wasn't at least on the bench, in fact I saw him walk around the pitch before the game.
Rambo was in the North Stand as main cheer leader in the first half apparently.

As many people have said already, we lack creativity. Confidence is so fragile. I was hoping we'd make HT at 0-0 but unfortunately we gifted them the first goal having escaped with a similar thing a bit earlier.

You just felt that we'd not get back into the game and at 0-2 that was it.

Smithy and Ake looked knackered.

Like the person next to me, we just wanted the game to end and be put out of our misery.

Let's revert back to our attacking football and go down fighting, rather that than how we're playing now.

I want Eddie to stay but I think he'll walk if things don't improve over the next 2-3 games.

Last edited:

Running the channels needs good quick service instead of the negative square and back passing that has failed to create chances and goals.
Playing from the back needs width, movement off the ball and pace with accurate passing to feet or into space, the team cant produce that.

Running the channels needs good quick service instead of the negative square and back passing that has failed to create chances and goals.
Playing from the back needs width, movement off the ball and pace with accurate passing to feet or into space, the team cant produce that.
But if he made the run then maybe they would pass it forward to him

#AFCB reflections

• Big stage today. Fluffed their lines completely

• Returns of Ake & Smith the scant positives

• This battle is unfamiliar territory in PL for most in squad - needs a lot more than today

• Signings look an absolute must now

This above from Kris Temple.

I recorded the game before leaving to go to Dean Court.

Not been brave enough to watch it yet.

Did notice Graeme Souness was on the panel as I saw on the TV monitors at Dean Court.

What was his opinion on Eddie and our present form?

Didn’t notice who else was on panel J Redknapp?

I recorded the game before leaving to go to Dean Court.

Not been brave enough to watch it yet.

Did notice Graeme Souness was on the panel as I saw on the TV monitors at Dean Court.

What was his opinion on Eddie and our present form?

Didn’t notice who else was on panel J Redknapp?
Souness was berating eddie for the playing it out the back and continually conceding soft goals

;