AFCB refuse to allow charity collection from West Ham fan

Nope didn't make it in, I was somewhat wobbly, longest charge I've ever had

'Attempting to gain entry to a sporting venue with the intention of watching a sporting event whilst under the influence of alcohol'

I'm never gonna write that out on a job application, at least GBH/ABH is less writing

Al says...

"I've ignored your pathetic jibes over the last few months."
You can't take a joke, especially if it's accurate

"Another one who will say nothing against official policy"
Jackanory, Jackanory, Jackanory...

"Rarely has a charity turned up and circled the ground every week"
Because they're not allowed to, that's exactly the point. Thank you.

"Chuggers? You fight them off that often when you attend do you? LIAR"
I didn't say that, read it properly. As I know they're not allowed

"Says pretty much the same thing as paragraph 2. Repeats are boring"
And your posts repeat more than UKTV Gold

"Club approved charities only then?"
Yes

"...away from Kings Park they have no shout."
Correct, never said they didn't.

"I wish I was home this weekend as I would have taken this chap around the local bazzars…"
OK, if you insist. After all, you're a better fan than everyone else!

"Get back to hoping Labour topple the government tonight."
Ha ha, evidence enough that you don't actually read what others post

"I and many others have your card well and truly marked"
There he is. The real Al. Trying, badly, to intimidate

There's loads of children, and adults, in this area who need help and many charities that are raising money for them.

Knowing that, I'm curious, do you think they should all be allowed to come to the ground, whenever they like, to try and collect money, even it that means loads of people rattling tins and taking names on match day?

I am slightly concerned that you think a fellow club trying to save the life a one little girl can be viewed in the same way as students desperate to get you to sign up to a DD each month outside Kings X station. Total cobblers. This is a total football related, fan driven collection on behalf of a small young fan who is dying. If you don't want to put a quid in the bucket then don't. You won't be judged or 'chugged'. Not everyone has either the time or inclination to go online to give money they'd rather do it the old fashioned way.

It's just a shame that my (now) home town club, that has spent many many long hours collecting in buckets (for their own benefit if I remember rightly) can't support such a simple and nice cause.

It's just another example of how the club always throws the baby out with the bathwater. It's not intended to be malicious, but we're still a cottage industry of a club struggling to come to terms with where we are.

Back in League One if a couple of opposition fans turned up with a bucket to shake as 5000 odd of us wondered past, nobody would have given it a second thought. Now we are where we are, the club worry the limelight of the PL would bring all sorts of constant charity requests that we couldn't cope with. So they feel the need to setup a policy (and I'm sure all PL clubs have similar) but then wield it heavily without common sense or discussion.

The club, many players and Howe himself are significant supporters and patrons of Julia's House, a local charity dedicated to children with life-limiting conditions who are unlikely to survive into adulthood. I don't know Isla's story but it sounds along similar lines. Perhaps something could be sorted out using the club's connections with Julia's House, to assist with Isla's cause.

How the flying fu#k can an Afcb 'fan' ..Link.. a child's charity collection to how it might affect the performance of the professional players in the Afcb v West Ham game.
I was Shocked and Upset by this! To be able to reduce a thread to that level of selfishness and crudity!
A child's illness was the prime and only subject to consider!

Although if you look at the results against Southampton, Fulham, and Leicester, it does seem that WHU performed above average, those three sides have been pretty terrible this season mind

How the flying fu#k can an Afcb 'fan' ..Link.. a child's charity collection to how it might affect the performance of the professional players in the Afcb v West Ham game.
I was Shocked and Upset by this! To be able to reduce a thread to that level of selfishness and crudity!
A child's illness was the prime and only subject to consider!

Once again you have taken my comment our of context. What I meant to say was if such a charity say for sick Bournemouth children was refused ouside of an opponents ground. Surely this would fuel the player to put one over them. As would bad comments from an opposing manager.

Once again you have taken my comment our of context. What I meant to say was if such a charity say for sick Bournemouth children was refused ouside of an opponents ground. Surely this would fuel the player to put one over them. As would bad comments from an opposing manager.
Nothing to add or take away from my previous post...just you carry on being 'correct'..I'm sure everyone will be fine with that!

So you don't think that it might inspire us if we found out that a collection for a good cause (say Julias House) was refused at West Hams ground.
I tell you what, Minty. If you're that concerned by it, why don't you personally arrange to collect donations somewhere outside the ground. Then you can publicise it through your well known contacts in the Echo. That will surely then inspire the AFCB players to beat West Ham?

I am slightly concerned that you think a fellow club trying to save the life a one little girl can be viewed in the same way as students desperate to get you to sign up to a DD each month outside Kings X station. Total cobblers. This is a total football related, fan driven collection on behalf of a small young fan who is dying. If you don't want to put a quid in the bucket then don't. You won't be judged or 'chugged'. Not everyone has either the time or inclination to go online to give money they'd rather do it the old fashioned way.

It's just a shame that my (now) home town club, that has spent many many long hours collecting in buckets (for their own benefit if I remember rightly) can't support such a simple and nice cause.

I am afraid you are dealing with AFCB Lost in Brum.
I am sorry that out of so many good folk on here, you get the views of this individual.

Hope something is sorted Anyoldiron.

I am slightly concerned that you think a fellow club trying to save the life a one little girl can be viewed in the same way as students desperate to get you to sign up to a DD each month outside Kings X station...

Firstly, maybe you and I can exchange views without the interference of a certain someone?

The club obviously gets far more approaches from charities, wishing to collect on site, than it feels is safe and/or manageable to accommodate on it's premises/land (as NornIron's posts about the four nominated charities already explained).

As I previously stated, there are loads of children and adults in the club's local area who also need help, with many charities that are raising money for them. As NornIron explained some of those have also been rejected in the past, which leaves the question - how does any organisation pick or choose which charities are more deserving than others?

I understand that some will say that there shouldn't be a limit and that any charity should be able to just turn up at a football club's premises, anytime they like, and start collecting. It's my opinion that if that was the case then, potentially, you might have twenty different groups all collecting at once on match day and ultimately that would probably include chuggers.

Either way, while you can't collect on the area's belonging to the club that doesn't prevent you from collecting in other parts of Kings Park (as NornIron also suggested on this thread).

I don't know exactly which bits of land the club does and doesn't own but there are plenty of places that will have a significant footfall, both before and after the game. Again, NornIron might know where those boundaries might be.

I'm happy to talk with you further on this subject.

Firstly, maybe you and I can exchange views without the interference of a certain someone?

The club obviously gets far more approaches from charities, wishing to collect on site, than it feels is safe and/or manageable to accommodate on it's premises/land (as NornIron's posts about the four nominated charities already explained).

As I previously stated, there are loads of children and adults in the club's local area who also need help, with many charities that are raising money for them. As NornIron explained some of those have also been rejected in the past, which leaves the question - how does any organisation pick or choose which charities are more deserving than others?

I understand that some will say that there shouldn't be a limit and that any charity should be able to just turn up at a football club's premises, anytime they like, and start collecting. It's my opinion that if that was the case then, potentially, you might have twenty different groups all collecting at once on match day and ultimately that would probably include chuggers.

Either way, while you can't collect on the area's belonging to the club that doesn't prevent you from collecting in other parts of Kings Park (as NornIron also suggested on this thread).

I don't know exactly which bits of land the club does and doesn't own but there are plenty of places that will have a significant footfall, both before and after the game. Again, NornIron might know where those boundaries might be.

I'm happy to talk with you further on this subject.

I refer you to post No 11 on this thread.

Surprised by some of the reaction on this thread.

I'd stand at the bottom of Thistlebarrow at the entrance to the club land and / or Kings Park Drive at the alleyway by the flats and before the players car park. Two decent choke points (just dont block them ;) ).

Just wing it, the council won't be anywhere and its not on club property..

Surprised by some of the reaction on this thread.

I'd stand at the bottom of Thistlebarrow at the entrance to the club land and / or Kings Park Drive at the alleyway by the flats and before the players car park. Two decent choke points (just dont block them ;) ).

Just wing it, the council won't be anywhere and its not on club property..
Used to be a good place for selling fanzines ;-)

My God ..a couple of these posts have gone down some strange avenues! The initial scenario.....what amounts to prim and proper / petty bureaucracy on behalf our club is bad enough..

If was able to Be there and had Five spare £1 coins ...one into each of the 4 ' legit' tins and one into Isla's.......that would be £15 less than I put in the Buckets to help save a penniless, dying Football club who now have Millions!
I still don't regret that...but it's helping me see some perspectives!

Last edited:
My God ..a couple of these posts have gone down some strange avenues! The initial scenario.....what amounts to prim and proper / petty bureaucracy on behalf our club is bad enough..

If was able to Be there and had Five spare £1 coins ...one into each of the 4 ' legit' tins and one into Isla's.......that would be £15 less than I put in the Buckets to help save a penniless, dying Football club who now have Millions!
I still don't regret that...but it's helping me see some perspectives!

I can't be bothered to read the whole thread here. I'm sure a fair percentage is cringeworthy. But looking at the initial post, there's a "just giving" page there, and its connected to the Bradley Lowery Foundation. I for one will donate a few £ on there. So why doesn't any like-minded soul on here do the same. And spread the word about the good cause amongst anyone else who you think may be interested? Just as a reminder it's https://www.justgiving.com/campaigns/charity/thebradleyloweryfoundation/islacaton

;