AFCB v Liverpool - Fourth Round League Cup

Enjoyed watching it from afar, sat in my kitchen with red army on YouTube and the occasional walk outside with a brolly… was able to swear too and don’t think Mrs D has called the hotline…

Fluid display, you can see the plan. Much better game from Kliuvert, Zab looked all at sea a number of times, thought Scott was excellent again. Semenyo is a feast or famine player I think and how he didn’t go across goal is beyond me… difference was their subs vs our subs but they are a top four club.

Definitely see what the plan was and like others said I’d rather press a top team in their half and take some stick than sit in our own half hoping to break against them. Nine times out of ten you lose to them anyway so might as well have a bit of fun.

I hate losing, especially to these shitty global superclubs but that said I was quite pleased with tonight.

It really felt like you could see what the manager wants them to do and in the main they did it. We were the better side for large parts of that game with most of the players performing well.

I wondered if Scott was going to struggle with the step up in quality from Burnley but he settled into the game brilliantly and looked the part.

Semenyo and Kluivert were really positive and I thought the defence was decent.

Other than Tavernier the subs were poor though. None of Moore, Brooks or Traore will force their way into the side with that performance, sure the whole team looked disjointed at that point and Liverpool had brought on their strongest players but still none of them did anything of note.

Harsh on Brooks, he laid it on the plate for an equalizer with a brilliant run. Sadly none of our players anticipated the pass.

Enjoyed the game...quite high quality for the conditions.

For those that were not there...the back row of the North Stand needed waterproofs...it was shocking weather,.

I don't think Zabarnyi is at sea at all I think he has been instructed to come out into the hole in front of the defence. He followed Salah into that space a number of times and it kept him quiet. He also did it loads of times on Saturday. I suspect picking Kelly at LB is all part of the set up.

First half we gave them room to play their football, second half we got into them making them hurry and thus winning the ball back.

Harsh on Brooks, he laid it on the plate for an equalizer with a brilliant run. Sadly none of our players anticipated the pass.

Enjoyed the game...quite high quality for the conditions.

For those that were not there...the back row of the North Stand needed waterproofs...it was shocking weather,.
Thats all he did, and should of let the ball run out for a corner.

What's your issue with Zabarnyi? He's played very well last three games. One error tonight but I think it was definitely one of those occasions where you had to be there to appreciate the conditions.
I don't think he's very good.....it's not just the errors it's his positioning ......a ball came into box tonight that was headed towards goal by the massive mo salah.... Zabarnyi was stood in no mans land marking nobody.

Substitutions blew it.
Taking kluivert, Scott and semenyo off just destroyed the energy.
Absurd
Totally agree - we couldn’t understand it when he did that - almost seemed like it was subs for the sake of it….
The threat disappeared after that … very disappointing.

I don't think he's very good.....it's not just the errors it's his positioning ......a ball came into box tonight that was headed towards goal by the massive mo salah.... Zabarnyi was stood in no mans land marking nobody.
Salah was in between Mepham and Smith for that header. Nothing to do with Zabarnyi who did very well throughout aside from one particularly poor (first time) pass out to Kerkez in the second half where he played it straight back to a liverpool player.

The one when he was Mephams man and Smith got into him enough to stop him getting anything decent on it?

Is zabarnyi just going to be your scapegoat? He's played pretty well last few games. Not many big errors, nothing has really got past him, not done for pace. He has definitely had dodgy moments in previous games but looks promising to me. The manager clearly likes him as he's played him every minute.

Last edited:
I wasn’t there tonight so you can take my opinion with a pinch of salt but to lose narrowly to a top team that has only lost one game this season and that was when they were down to nine men isn’t all bad and to try and blame individuals for little mistakes seems a bit unfair.

I wasn’t there tonight so you can take my opinion with a pinch of salt but to lose narrowly to a top team that has only lost one game this season and that was when they were down to nine men isn’t all bad and to try and blame individuals for little mistakes seems a bit unfair.
Well said. I was there and thought it was a good game, good performance from the lads. My jeans are still drying out!

Good game overall tonight , enjoyed it !
Not long been home , shocking conditions out there..
I was back row north stand and it wasn't until the end of the game and walking out in it you realise quite how tough those conditions were ..
As others have said , we didn't take our chances tonight.. wouldn't say we deserved to lose in the 90 mins .. draw would probably have been a fair result ..
Then it would have been pens !
Scott looks class , for someone so young , Meps had a good game and ended up being captain, so pleased for Justin , you could see how much it meant to him and hopefully that will give him confidence..
Keeper wise , I'm still unsure , does Rudu speak much English, only he seems very quiet ?! As in you don't see him shouting out instructions etc?
When Neto gets fit , let's hope he comes back like the old Neto of last season.. otherwise I'd like to see Super Mark Travers in goal !
Shame we are out , but you can see what Andoni is trying to instill , next two games super tough , I'd take a point now !
I think we should stick with AI, Once it all clicks I think we will be fine .. also this season I think we will be OK as I think there certainly is 3 teams worse than us .. and given time we will start working our way up that league table.. might not happen before Xmas, but let's all stick together, support the team and AI and onwards and upwards . Utciad .

Hey...I'm terribly bloody sorry if this is once again off on a tangent....but it was nice to see Eddie Howe get what I think is his 3rd Win over that awful club !

;