Ajani Burchall turned down contract?

Good luck to him in his recovery. I hope he makes it back soon.

He must wonder a little. If he'd have stayed here he'd probably have 20+ first team appearances under his belt by now, and a promotion.

It could still turn out to be the right call for his career long term but at the moment he's well back from where he likely would be had he stayed. Maybe something for some of our other youngsters to bear in mind when the Category A pirates next come reaving.

Putting him on the pitch for the first team when a contract wasn't yet signed is right up there for AFCB's greatest face palm moments. Ranks alongside nearly selling Jason Pearce without realising he had a sell-on clause in his contract.

Last edited:
Good luck to him in his recovery. I hope he makes it back soon.

He must wonder a little. If he'd have stayed here he'd probably have 20+ first team appearances under his belt by now, and a promotion.

It could still turn out to be the right call for his career long term but at the moment he's well back from where he likely would be had he stayed. Maybe something for some of our other youngsters to bear in mind when the Category A pirates next come reaving.

Putting him on the pitch for the first team when a contract wasn't yet signed is right up there for AFCB's greatest face palm moments. Ranks alongside nearly selling Jason Pearce without realising he had a sell-on clause in his contract.

I suspect we put him on the pitch to try to persuade him to sign a contract because there would be first team opportunities. Ultimately didn’t work but I highly doubt Villa signed him on the back of one first team appearance.

I suspect we put him on the pitch to try to persuade him to sign a contract because there would be first team opportunities. Ultimately didn’t work but I highly doubt Villa signed him on the back of one first team appearance.
This. Of course Villa and others would have known all about him long before his brief substitute appearance. The big clubs have huge networks of scouts who’s job it is to identify the best youth talent out there. Giving him a few minutes in a game which had already been won was clearly a desperate attempt to get him to sign on.

;