Alex Scott

We don't know what other options they are persuing though do we? We may end up paying the original asking price but if it's more that we think he's worth then it should only be paid if there are no other options.

I think the transfer window has to be judged after it has closed. Of course it's not ideal to not start the season with a full squad but that is how it always is.

We had all the same criticisms in January about signings not being sorted early enough but as your comprehensive 'results are in' thread showed it was an excellent window in terms of filling in the gaps in the squad. The gaps in our squad are fairly clear and we shall see if they do as well.

Exactly. With ffp it's even more likely to see more action on deadline day as sellers obviously want max price, whereas buyers try to save millions (in context of larger fee deals like this).

Of course in ideal world, you'd want all signings reporting for pre season day 1, but given general lack of activity I'd say the ongoing ffp squeeze has changed the dynamics of the transfer market for most clubs (apart from Chelsea).

We may have offered very close or the amount city want, but we may be unable to offer whst they want up front as we'd breach fairplsy (without selling more plsyers that we'd rsther not do.)
I imagine getting the numbers to stack up.is a nightmare for clubs with ffp. Expect we have the funds, but simply can't do it without clever accounting/moving into darker shades of grey areas or breaching ffp.

So I don't think it's as simple as give em what they want so he can train with us ASAP.

Last edited:
Exactly. Saw an interview with him and think it may have been city manager or some coach that says he pretty much has it all, and can reliably deployed I'm many central roles.
Speak to City fans. Fans know. We might not know the intricacies of the game but we know special players. We knew with Bishop, Teale, Redknapp, Ake. You don’t need a coaching qualification when players are that good.

I know a city season ticket holder who says in all his many years he is the standout best player he’s ever seen in their shirt. That’s enough for me (along with all the more professional peoples opinion)

Speak to City fans. Fans know. We might not know the intricacies of the game but we know special players. We knew with Bishop, Teale, Redknapp, Ake. You don’t need a coaching qualification when players are that good.

I know a city season ticket holder who says in all his many years he is the standout best player he’s ever seen in their shirt. That’s enough for me (along with all the more professional peoples opinion)

City have consistently produced some excellent players too haven't they... for 2nd tier level anyway.

I don't just go by football manager, but when you couple that with what their gfans say, the media and other sources I'm convinced this guy is something very special and we'll live to regret it if we don't make it happen and get beaten to it by other clubs.

It's all refreshing to see us going in for bright English talent rather purely signing a load of players from overseas for 20- 30 mill like many others seemingly do.

One factor none of us know is the FFP situation given no doubt there will be some more transfer activity in January.

That's a thing I suspect we'll see much more of.

Loan deals with option/mandatory agreement to sign permanently further down the line.

Can still pay a a heftyy loan fee to keep sellers happy...then it becomes permanent, and heavier payments a year or so down the line as it moves into new financial year.

When we signed Kelly Ian Holloway was amazed he came to us as he thought he was the best prospect in the Championship.

I assume many city fans/media experts are thinking/saying the sane now about Scott!

Tinpot tag/image due to ground and club stature keeps that perception which is evident when you read about 'bigger' but lower tier champ clubs fans say when we signed plsyers, or Scottish pl clubs.

When we signed Kelly Ian Holloway was amazed he came to us as he thought he was the best prospect in the Championship.
He captained a team to promotion and in the premier league so he wasn’t far wrong.

I’d love to have seen Kelly had he not got injured and missed a year have a season with Eddie. I think that really set him back that incident with Arter.

I assume many city fans/media experts are thinking/saying the sane now about Scott!
My mate was pretty praising about Kelly but nowhere near as much as he was about Scott.

He couldn’t believe we signed someone with a touch as poor as Semenyo and yet to see anything that says he is PL quality. Caveat to the fanboys, of course this all may change and let’s hope so!!

My mate was pretty praising about Kelly but nowhere near as much as he was about Scott.

He couldn’t believe we signed someone with a touch as poor as Semenyo and yet to see anything that says he is PL quality. Caveat to the fanboys, of course this all may change and let’s hope so!!

Yeah agree. Surprised we paid that much for senenyo In Jan... particularly given ffp rules limiting going all out in the market even if yku have rich owners. Also as he didn't seem anywhere near ready to make an impact in the pl, which I thought we desperately needed in Jan and still do now... assuming he's considerd as a striker, and not winger

Obviousky has raw pace Nd other other attributes, but seems a fair bit off with other stuff like technical side, mental ability like composure, decision maker, anticipstion to fill me with any confidence that he can be relied on right now in pl matches. Hopefully scouting team identified a bit work needed, but with decent coaching, gradual exposure could become a very good player at some point.

As a 3rd/4th choice striker option with potential ti become effective over next 2 or 3 years it's fair enough and hopefully it happens! Think perhaps similar to Ings... who's finishing was awful that first few months, then something clicked and if it wasn't for injuries, who knows how far he'd gone.

Last edited:
Here's a list of the 20 highest transfer fee paid, in descending order and according to Transfermark, players that were transferred directly from the Championship to PL with no (or minimal) PL experience

Ryan Sessegnon
James Maddison (to Leicester)
Saïd Benrahma
Adam Webster
Jarrod Bowen (did have 7 PL appearances)
Keane Lewis-Potter
Eberechi Eze
Daniel James
Adam Armstrong (15 PL appearances when he was about 17)
Harry Souttar
Ché Adams
Chris Wood (did have 10 PL appearances over a few seasons at different clubs)
Matty Cash
Neal Maupay
Lloyd Kelly
Djed Spence
Gareth Bale
Nathan Collins (to Burnley)
Chris Mepham
Benik Afobe

Some excellent names in there. Some in between. Some failures. Being the bright young thing in the Championship doesn't guarantee a player can make the step up.

If we do go for Scott, let's hope he's more on the Gareth Bale end of things...

Here's a list of the 20 highest transfer fee paid, in descending order and according to Transfermark, players that were transferred directly from the Championship to PL with no (or minimal) PL experience

Ryan Sessegnon
Saïd Benrahma
Adam Webster
Keane Lewis-Potter
Eberechi Eze
Daniel James
Harry Souttar
Ché Adams
Matty Cash
Neal Maupay
Lloyd Kelly
Djed Spence
Gareth Bale
Chris Mepham
Benik Afobe

Some excellent names in there. Some in between. Some failures. Being the bright young thing in the Championship doesn't guarantee a player can make the step up.

Not many of these made an instant impact.

Last edited:
Two in depth articles on the player, especially first link.

That's a good point. Whoever we bring in needs to be ready to potentially start 30+ league games and be effective enough to influence the matches.

Honestly not sure that is Scott. Although at 25 Mill, I doubt the expectation is an ongoing kilkenny style project...

May well step up, but it is big step. Fans will need to be patient but no doubt the twitter brigade will be slagging him off he doesn't look like a world beater within a few games... particularly if we start poorly which coukd easily happen.

Level of intelligence, technical ability etc needed to influence ganes from centre mi against some of best midfiekders from sround the world d means you usually need stuff that comes from experience or be exceptional talent for someone still young.

Hopefully it will be a Brooks like step, although think Brooks was a couple of years older, and wingers don't need the sane skill set as cm's and being out of your depth marked out of games as winger/ nulfied by better players doesn't mean your team totally overran due to soft/weak cm.

Last edited:
I've no doubt Scott is a great prospect, my concern would be blowing 25m on another under 21 player, who would not be a guaranteed starter, if that meant we couldn't afford a Jeff replacement, who will be straight into the team. That's not going to be cheap either.
We need experienced, proven players in a couple of positions, that's not scott.
If we get them and still have money over then fine.

Ryan Sessegnon
Saïd Benrahma
Adam Webster
Keane Lewis-Potter
Eberechi Eze
Daniel James
Harry Souttar
Ché Adams
Matty Cash
Neal Maupay
Lloyd Kelly
Djed Spence
Gareth Bale
Chris Mepham
Benik Afobe

Shouldn't we be looking at DJed Spence as right back. Very mobile

;