Andoni Iraola

I feel for Iraola as he really has been given a tough hand in pretty much every sense (not having his preferred back room team, injuries, fixtures and all compounded by the continued inexplicable brain farts from those on the pitch).

If the players aren't on board then he ultimately will go and we will never know what was meant to be.

If he stays, I really hope things turn around for him and all of us. I supported and still support the idea and thought behind his appointment.

If he goes, I really don't see what would change and I wouldn't want us to be that kind of club, not without much deeper change.

As it stands, both options seem to be a gamble.

I'm of the opinion that we should stick with Andoni for the foreseeable.

He's a proven manager with a philosophy of attacking football (and well respected in Spain - I was with some Spanish friends this weekend who rate him highly). However, he is young and new to the English game. He's also working with players that are, perhaps, new to his methods/tactics and trying to implement them without his own backroom staff. All of that, to me, suggests a long-term project. If we weren't ready for that, and were expecting quick results, then that's on those who appointed him.

Personally, I'd rather a season of struggle with the aim of creating a ong-term identity and, hopefully, success. No guarantee of that, of course, but nine games is too soon to judge a long-term project.

If the players aren't on board then he ultimately will go and we will never know what was meant to be.

I know this happens but it really shouldn’t.

Bugged the heck out of me during the relegation season under Howe. So many players with eyes on their next move, others taking zero professional pride in their performances.

I haven’t seen that with us this season. What I’ve seen is a total loss in confidence.

That might be a total loss in confidence and belief in what they’re being asked to do. But they should suck it up, or shift out.

It can’t always be the manager that goes and the players just sulk until the next manager comes in because ultimately that’ll just be a cycle that never pushed on towards something better.

Let's put this in some perspective; yes we've lost 6 games against, amongst others, Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal and Brighton although I don't know who on earth thought we'd win or even draw any of those. But we've also had 3 draws and won 2 cup games. So basically, it seems like some people want him sacked because we lost 2 games against Everton and Wolves. I mean, really?

I agree he's struggling to find some sort of identity but he's had to contend with injuries to important players which has meant as new manager he's had to try and find, against some of the top teams in the league, which players can play his system. He's also having to work with a squad that everyone can see is completely unbalanced and with some players that might have promise but were so expensive that we couldn't afford to bring in a couple of journeymen to cover important positions. And I can't believe that the club hasn't been able to get his assistant a work permit but when you look at the transfers in and out you can see what a shambles it's been this season.

I think we need to let Iraola see out the season ...but any January signings have to be right for the situation we are in...no more f√ck-ups !

The Championship is still a big deal for our Tinpot status....which we don't seem to be able to shake off.

Further than May is difficult to predict ..it's still early in a new Era.....no one seems to be in a stable - state.. not the Owners ...not the Manager .... not the Players....as fans we have no control...and to moan or praise as much as we like is our privilege by attachment ..the longer, the moreso as I see it....but of course those that spend more time and money currently have a strong argument to the contrary.

Nothing in Football can touch being a Cherry.
Such a snug thing.....

Let's put this in some perspective; yes we've lost 6 games against, amongst others, Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal and Brighton although I don't know who on earth thought we'd win or even draw any of those. But we've also had 3 draws and won 2 cup games. So basically, it seems like some people want him sacked because we lost 2 games against Everton and Wolves. I mean, really?

Exactly this. The issue is not getting that first win under the belts and the crash in confidence that comes with that the longer the wait goes on. Wolves fans were calling for O'Neill's head before they beat ManC and us. We need a win from anywhere by any means.

We absolutely can't afford to gift teams any more goals or points so you would hope the players will show a response in the next match.

Having said that, and I know some don't like these kinds of comparisons but if it gives any hope, I'll take it...
we have twice as many goals and three times as many points as we got from the same 9 fixtures last season - Saturday was the first match where we got a worse result than last season and that was because we gifted them the win at the end.

I'm of the opinion that we should stick with Andoni for the foreseeable.

He's a proven manager with a philosophy of attacking football (and well respected in Spain - I was with some Spanish friends this weekend who rate him highly). However, he is young and new to the English game. He's also working with players that are, perhaps, new to his methods/tactics and trying to implement them without his own backroom staff. All of that, to me, suggests a long-term project. If we weren't ready for that, and were expecting quick results, then that's on those who appointed him.

Personally, I'd rather a season of struggle with the aim of creating a ong-term identity and, hopefully, success. No guarantee of that, of course, but nine games is too soon to judge a long-term project.
It feels like a lot of our acquisitions have been with one eyes on the future and I kind of like it.

It was the unseen stuff with Lerma. People make out his fans think of him as another Bellingham, we don’t. He was limited a a few areas. What he did though was cover ground brilliantly and recover quicker than the opposition when they broke and those toe ins in ‘them moments’ prevented a lot of damage.

He’d have been a perfect player for this system ironically as it’s a risky system that needs pace at CDM and CB

Watching Cook chasing Wolves when they broke and the gaps he left yesterday was a light year apart. Which is why he didn’t start as much as Jeff last season.

This is a fair point.

Do you think there’s any chance, or any point at all in potentially looking into using Kilkenny in these upcoming games?

Younger and quicker than Cook, but obviously not ready really. But what else can we do? Senesi there?

Nice to wake up to some really interesting debate on here.

For me the clue is in Foley's own words. I think he said that unless we are unlucky he expects us to finish 11th or 12th. I imagine the unlucky part would be bad officiating, losing key players to freak injuries, not so much Neto losing his head in multiple game etc.

Now if we finish 14th would it make a difference? It might, we don't know what additional key income/expense targets that are needed, so perhaps a cup run could compensate, or the sale of a couple of players. One thing I don't think is negotiable this season is a relegation.

If I was to guess, Blake, Hughes and Iraola are all being judged on their performance. The higher in the chain you go the more responsible you are to the season outcome. I don't think Hughes or especially Blake are safe because of previous seasons. Like the GON appointment 22/23 it might be more of a let's see what happens this season (22/23). Same might have been been the case for Hughes and Blake. We areadly have seen Foley appointing compatriots to key positions in the club

It's going to be low .. as I think it's between nk more than 5 clubs already.. are we better than 3 ?! Surely !!.

As people have alluded to, the fixtures have been tough so far. Wolves result and 2nd half performance was obviously of concern.

I think we somewhatt the fortunate this season, as far as the 3 sides that have come up are in serious danger of going right back down... 2 of them at least. Quality wise, they are awful at this level - tbh.

I know its a long way off and may not be relevant to us next season...d but at least 2 of Leicester, Leeds and Saints will bounce back... the division is likely to be much tougher next season imo. But like I say, I know thats along way off at present - just an observation.

;