Andoni Iraola

He was a good signing for his value . I’ve not said otherwise. I’ve also given him credit for the workrate he puts into his career, even on my last post.

I wouldn’t say he is a great player but his positional change has turned him from being an average one into a good one.

A few of his performances this season have been better than any other central midfielder we've had in the PL. Harry Arter, Jefferson Lerma never reached those levels in an AFCB shirt and you reckon he's just edged from 'average' to 'good'?

It's funny isn't it, you sure as hell never shy away from bringing up transfer fees when they are £20m+ yet when someone costs just £1.5m and establishes themselves as a nailed on PL starter the transfer fee suddenly loses it's relevance in your agenda .. sorry opinion.

Every result, win lose or draw, allows agendas to be promoted.
Hidden in threads are good debates but it is becoming increasingly tiresome finding them when every thread becomes a playground name calling game...
:sleep:
Finding this exchange was like finding a nugget in the mud! It’s a comfort to read others think the same way you do sometimes.

A point about Cook though, going into yesterday’s game I thought- good, they’ve not got either Wilson or Isaac, but oh hell they’ve still got Gordon and Almiron and the one I really feared- Guimares mixing everything up in midfield. Thought if we let Guimares run the show we’d really be in trouble. But he hardly seemed to have a sniff. I’ve not watched the highlights back yet (I know I’m lightweight but only just got up after last night’s return journey) but isn’t the reason Guimares was so ineffective due to Cook’s controlling him? That alone was worth an odd mistake, if he made one

It’s a modern thing I don’t like. Anyone having a strong opinion either way on Brexit or Vaccinations or any form of politics is deemed binary or agenda driven. It’s a form of smugness from people that hold a middle ground I guess or who are at the opposite side of the spectrum. We’ve lost the ability to enjoy differences and be tolerant and listen.

The reality is all of us are probably binary on some of societal, entertainment or sporting points and also in the middle on others. Just enjoy reading different views and the debate there’s no need for people to try and belittle others.
There's middle ground and then there's arguing for the sake of it.
I think 50% of yesterday's posts were personal and could have been DMs between people.
I would rather be discussing the role of Christie than the constant litany of "I'll have the last word" posts.

I think we signed Christie as a very good football player who could do a job in the EPL. Well done to him and the club for progressing him into the player he is.

Probably the biggest transformation since Steve Fletcher played Centre Back...

It’s a modern thing I don’t like. Anyone having a strong opinion either way on Brexit or Vaccinations or any form of politics is deemed binary or agenda driven. It’s a form of smugness from people that hold a middle ground I guess or who are at the opposite side of the spectrum. We’ve lost the ability to enjoy differences and be tolerant and listen.

The reality is all of us are probably binary on some of societal, entertainment or sporting points and also in the middle on others. Just enjoy reading different views and the debate there’s no need for people to try and belittle others.
That’s absurd! I’m clearly stating an opinion just like you.

So to confirm, Blake and Hughes are ****************, and thirteenth place is rubbish? ;-)

Oh and the Tories really are **************** ;-)

That’s absurd! I’m clearly stating an opinion just like you.

So to confirm, Blake and Hughes are ****************, and thirteenth place is rubbish? ;-)

Oh and the Tories really are **************** ;-)
I wasn’t aiming the belittling of others at you Rob. It was a generic post. You don’t do it

So what is he Einstein?

If not a 3 or 4 million player.

100 million?

20 million?

5 million?
Proven in one of Europes top leagues, played European level football and a full international for a major country.

I agree, definitely worth £4m..

Yes Christie was great value but it’s pretty clear that was an anomaly

I think 50% of yesterday's posts were personal and could have been DMs between people.
I would rather be discussing the role of Christie than the constant litany of "I'll have the last word" posts.

I think we signed Christie as a very good football player who could do a job in the EPL. Well done to him and the club for progressing him into the player he is.

Yep. Thing is though people use forums for different things. There’s a few posters and quite a few posts i read on here and think ‘seriously’.

They don’t appear to add any value or contribution to anyone’s day bar the person that posted them. Maybe that’s enough for that person though.

I just don’t feel it’s mine or anyone else’s role to define how the forum should operate or label someone else’s opinion as an agenda because it differs to mine.

I think if you're going to belittle staff and players on a weekly basis you can expect something back from people who's only real involvement with the club is to try and get some pleasure from it.
Agree. Those are the debates that are interesting to read. I’m talking about respect for peoples opinions whether you agree with them or not. It goes wider than this forum though it’s a modern societal thing that has accelerated hugely with social media/anonymity etc.

It's not for anyone to say what other people can post. People can post whatever they want. The fact that someone else doesn't appreciate it, is beside the point. If people want to use the forum for petty arguments, that's fine by me. Each to their own. Once people start dictating what other people should do on the forum, that is what crosses a line for me.

Cox from CM to CB.

Bailey Right Wing to CM ;)

But get your Fletch comment was most likely tongue in cheek ;)

As others have said, past couple of years 20 to 25/30 mill generally buys you a middle of the road PL player, or a younger player who may not quite be there, but under right coaching, effort, circumstances and I dare I say a little fortune, could end be a very good player, sold for something like double or more what was paid.

Look at money Leeds, Leicester, Saints spent - 15 to 30 mill on a load of players Signed some superb potential. Pacey young players. Some of who moved on last summer for more.

The odd player may not make it... in England. Some may look bloody good almost right away. Whereas others may not flourish until 2 or 3 years down the line.

Outtara for example, does look a little lost at times. But, he has popped up on numerous occassions with crucial assists and goals. Plus someone mentioned he was very highly rated at Lorient... other clubs scouts described him as rough diamond. With a bit of time, polish and coaching... he could suddenly become something special.

We've chosen this route and I like it tbh. Not every player will be a 'hit', but I hope people show patience, rather than writing off high potential players after a year or so.

If you want someone whos's a 'good' player and somewhat proven in PL or similar level, you're looking at 25-50. 60 mill and into 100k plus a week wages... or old players on their way down, with no resale value... like I say, glad we;ve chosen this route. As even 50 mill players on 250k a week flop too,...

Players we're signing are likely on 30-60 odd k a week. Top clubs are signing youngster for 10 to 70 mill on likely 80-300k a week, lol. We cant compete with that. I believe the club are doing as well as is realistically possible, given the budget, financial constraints and stature of the club.

Last edited:
No, it doesn’t

But think GON would play more attacking football if he had the option to use the likes of kluivert, sinisterra, Scott, unal, semenyo who are decent value at £70m combined

Can see how well he is using wolves attacking options plus he knows how to defend against the top 6 sides. AI hasn’t proved that yet despite the bigging up of his wins over Barcelona and Real.

Think Citeh next week is a good test of how good a coach AI really is. I hope he proves it of course as i genuinely want AI to do well.
Do you really? I think you'd be happier if we could get GON back.

Anyhow, in an attempt to bring this thread back to what it's actually about, I thought it was indicative of AI's approach that with ten minutes to go and still 2-1 up he took off Semenyo and put on, not Mepham or AN other defender as certain previous managers would but Dango. Loved the ambition even if it proved not to have had the desired outcome.

;