Arsenal v AFC Bournemouth

Everyone bleats on about defense and to a degree they have a point, but I dont think anyone really appreciates how much both defense and attack rely on a top class midfield to help in both areas...

If our midfield is just letting players run at our defense for fun (which we do), then the odds will always be that we're going to concede, and the better those players that we let run at us, the more goals they'll score...

Apart fomr the additon of Lerma (currently missing) our midfield has no realy quality when it comes to outplaying PL opposition. We've done will to be where we are, for what looks to be a 5th season, but we need more quality in teh centre of the park to stop shipping so many goals.

It's not all about the back 4...

This is all correct. Defending starts from the front, as they say. Totally different of course but when I was in defence in my Sunday League days, it was blooming hard work if you cleared the ball and it came back before you could get set up properly. Last night, the defence didn't help themselves either but even the best back four will crack if under a lot of pressure. Keep it up the pitch a bit more would be a good idea!

Check out his interview on COWS. I don't think I've ever heard him speak so eloquently and so obviously from the heart. He left the cliche-matic 2000 in the dressing room and spoke with genuine passion about what went wrong. It came across as very genuine and not the usual PR guff we're accustomed to hearing from the players after a heavy defeat. Good stuff, well done Gozzer !
Sorry all, I'm newish on here. What is COWS and how do I find that video? I'd be interested to see it. Cheers.

Everyone bleats on about defense and to a degree they have a point, but I dont think anyone really appreciates how much both defense and attack rely on a top class midfield to help in both areas...

If our midfield is just letting players run at our defense for fun (which we do), then the odds will always be that we're going to concede, and the better those players that we let run at us, the more goals they'll score...
. . .
It's not all about the back 4...
Absolutely!
In many ways, ball-winning midfielders are more valuable than defenders because they break up the attack before it gets into a dangerous area, as well as earning us the chance to attack quickly. For this reason, I kind of wonder if Ake could become something like a N'Golo Kante player who just wins everything in the middle of the pitch and gets the attack going.

Given the presence of Van Dijk and De Ligt in the national side I think Ake would love to be playing in midfield, even if only to further his international aspirations

Obviously ...it was Chucking him at the Deep End! More like the Mariana Trench in the Pacific Ocean Ffs! Know what I mean! He was obviously stoked though......I think this boy is gonna make it! Its obvious! A very focused young player....been a favourite at all the loan clubs!

The interviewer said Obviously 4 times at least !

...let's bury this one and move on, we got spanked and no good moaning and pointing fingers...as a team we failed massively...let's turn it around on Saturday when a good team performance (no matter what the result) is required to lift the fans and club!

I apologise that I have posted this on another thread but I feel as it needs saying here as well.

I have been to all our away victories this season and to all but one of the defeats (Burnley - on holiday). At the beginning of the season we purred, even when lost, but over the last few weeks we have lost some of out thoroughbreds, including Wilson and Brooke’s.

Losing good players affects the performance of the team and also confidence. That is what showing now. . From the start on Wednesday (and indeed in many of the other away ties) we showed a lack of confidence in all areas.

Boric - did reasonably well without any support.

Clyde - was under pressure because he always had two, very quick, players to mark who pulled him out of position.
Mepham - looks like he needs a few games to get up to speed. To be fair he looked lost for most of the time
Ake - made an error in the first minute, which Boruc cleared up, and this seemed to unsettle everybody. Played well otherwise.
Smith - played ok, except for his Danielesque suicide pass.

The point I am making is that the back four were never settled throughout, even when we went to a back three.

I thought that the midfield as individuals did ok in parts but, as a unit, were disastrous. They were too slow and allowed big holes to emerge. Ibe failed to provide enough support for Clyne, Surman and Gosling failed to stop the quick inter passing and Fraser didn’t seem to know where he was playing.

Up front both forwards chased and Mousset took his goal well, which was set up by a tenacious Gossling. Gossling (I think) nearly got a goal of his own when his deflected shot hit the bar.

It goes without saying that Arsenal were better than us but we were NOT rubbish, as some fans near me suggested nor were the players NOT trying. We were well beaten by an in form top six side.

I was very disappointed by much of the knee jerk response on this site last night. OK we were well beaten but we have 34 points with 10 points to go. We will NOT go down and will therefore spend a fifth season in the Premier League.

I may be classed as a happy clapper but I, for one, am very happy with our continued progress. Our first choice team is far better than that of the past three seasons and can live, at times, with the top teams but a team ravaged by injuries and a loss of confidence away from home cannot. Really that it not a surprise to anyone, is it?

To those who think we should be pushing for a European place should, perhaps, temper their ambitions and accept that, with fully fit team, that might be possible but when you lose half your team, including the thoroughbreds, it becomes a near impossibility.

Sorry for that rant but I truly believe that, for the time being, we are in good shape. For as long as we can keep this team together, and I know this will be very difficult over the summer, and Eddie and JT in place we will continue to enjoy Premier League football.

:utc:

...what is very apparent is how much we miss key players like Callum Wilson, David Brooks and Steve Cook these guys are essential to our team spirit and drive.

It is too much to expect that others can pick up the slack in our side?

When we eventually get to the end of the season, I predict that there will be much change in the squad...I don't think that we can keep hold of Brooks,Wilson and Ake if clubs come calling, and who in all honesty deserve a crack at the bigtime given their quality.

Eddie will have some decisions to make with the likes of Defoe, Francis, Mings, Begovic, Boruc, Daniels, Pugh,Surman, Gosling, Ibe ,Hyndman, and Stanislas.

Rico, Solanke, King, Mousset, Smith, Cook(both) Fraser, Mepham, Simpson, Lerma, Surridge, Mahoney, and Ramsdale will form the nucleus of the squad for the next season in all probability?

Never a dull moment at AFCB

...what is very apparent is how much we miss key players like Callum Wilson, David Brooks and Steve Cook these guys are essential to our team spirit and drive.

It is too much to expect that others can pick up the slack in our side?

When we eventually get to the end of the season, I predict that there will be much change in the squad...I don't think that we can keep hold of Brooks,Wilson and Ake if clubs come calling, and who in all honesty deserve a crack at the bigtime given their quality.

Eddie will have some decisions to make with the likes of Defoe, Francis, Mings, Begovic, Boruc, Daniels, Pugh,Surman, Gosling, Ibe ,Hyndman, and Stanislas.

Rico, Solanke, King, Mousset, Smith, Cook(both) Fraser, Mepham, Simpson, Lerma, Surridge, Mahoney, and Ramsdale will form the nucleus of the squad for the next season in all probability?

Never a dull moment at AFCB
I think Wilson's continued visits to the physio room might have put off any prospective suitors. That's what I'm telling myself anyway.

Also, Brooks imo has another season with us at least.

It goes without saying that Arsenal were better than us but we were NOT rubbish, as some fans near me suggested nor were the players NOT trying. We were well beaten by an in form top six side.

These are Eddie’s words not mine:-

“I don’t think we were good in any aspects of the game – with or without the ball. The mentality wasn’t great. It was a disappointing night and one we have to reflect on honestly. We are capable of a lot more. We have to analyse ourselves honestly and not kid ourselves that it was acceptable.”

He hasn’t actually used the word rubbish but it’s obvious that’s what he is implying. It’s about as harsh as I’ve seen from Eddie in public and I’m sure he said a lot worse in the dressing room.

I know some people have a natural inclination to defend the team or talk about the quality of the opposition. However, it shouldn’t be taboo to call out the team for the manner of the defeat.

Let’s be honest. Wednesday was rubbish. It doesn’t mean overall we are rubbish but there was no excuse for what we saw on Wednesday. Eddie’s not ashamed to say that so fans shouldn’t be either.

I know some people have a natural inclination to defend the team or talk about the quality of the opposition. However, it shouldn’t be taboo to call out the team for the manner of the defeat.

Let’s be honest. Wednesday was rubbish. It doesn’t mean overall we are rubbish but there was no excuse for what we saw on Wednesday. Eddie’s not ashamed to say that so fans shouldn’t be either.

And some people have a natural inclination to have a meltdown when we get a sound beating. We lost on Wednesday and we were not good in many aspects of the game (apart from a good goal and a shot that hit the bar, perhaps) but it was not rubbish. Rubbish is losing to Blythe Spartans in the Cup.

As for the performance on Wednesday, and I really don't mind if people think I'm happy clappy, it wasn't good but actually I think there are plenty of excuses for it, which I will not rehearse again.

I haven't looked but I wonder if Watford fans are having a similar meltdown after Wednesday.

We are are still in good shape with 34 points and will be playing in the Premier League next season (there I've gone and said it now)

:utc:

I really hope you are right and we will start to pick up points after Saturday. But I’ve got a horrible feeling the likes of Newcastle and Huddersfield will have other ideas !!

;