At what point to the board need to be seriously questioned?

KingKieffer

Star Player
There is a poster on here (we all know who) who has long held the view that Eddie carried the club while he was here and that since he has departed the incompetence of those around him has really been shown up. Let’s examine the evidence:

•Let Parker stockpile players on long contracts last season who clearly aren’t PL standard. Left in a position on deadline day where we are desperately trying to offload some of them to make room for new recruits.

•Kept Parker on all Summer despite the fact he clearly had expectations in the window that couldn’t be matched, resulting in him constantly publicly bemoaning the lack of quality in the squad and making it difficult for us to convince potential new recruits that we can be competitive in this league (as per Kris Temple tweet today.)

•Employed a manager in the first place who had previous for demanding heavy squad investment, investment that even the fourth wealthiest owner in the country couldn’t match. Pursued him for over a year anyway, even to go as far to offer the job to two completely inexperienced coaches in the meantime as a stop gap, all during a pivotal first season back in the championship in which promotion should have been easily attainable with the squad available. Then are surprised when upon promotion, said manager expects investment in the squad. Did they not think to have some kind of conversation about longer term plans when appointing the guy?

•Signed players in positions this summer that were already well stocked and left little room for recruits in areas we actually need to strengthen (signing 2 centre mids despite having 4 on the books already and a right back despite already having 2 on the books.) Assembling a very disjointed squad with very little attacking threat.

And that’s just this summer! Im struggling to come to any conclusion other than the board have completely and utterly f*****d this Summer, I’m not sure it could have panned out any worse. Their decision making, both short and longer term, has left us in a position in which it is virtually impossible for us to be properly competitive. I’m sure some of you will point to four points on the board but can those of you who choose to do so also please point out to me one genuine goal scoring chance we have created from open play in the first 5 games? There isn’t one, not even one. We don’t have even close to the attacking threat to compete properly at this level.

Im sure some will also refer to the promotion last season, and tell me that Blake and Hughes deserve credit for this. But it was Eddie’s signings who got us promoted! Solanke, Billing, Lerma, Kelly etc. We were still living off of his legacy.

I think the rest of this board needs to wake up and smell the coffee, the poster who constantly bemoans the board is right.

Pretty boring now this. It's pretty clear the owner calls the shots and the board have to deal with everything in the context of his decisions.

I don't always agree with the "we've come from league 2" crowd but we are sat outside the relegation zone in the Premier League. They haven't even got close to failing yet here you are banging on like they've just replaced Kevin Bond with Jimmy Quinn.

When they start taking money directly from the turnstile and building Lego stadiums on the telly

So we got promoted because of Eddie's signings no other reason?
Well managing to keep them for 2 seasons in the championship, surely thats another reason.
The bed wetting has kicked off early, we know we aren't spending a fortune, we haven't got the cash.
Coming from the guy who said we would never go up last year, is a bit rich

Parker himself said he switched his phone off for the summer, so maybe this didn't all come to a head before pre-season. How much had we spent when we were first promoted (genuine question as I can't remember?) Maybe the board/Max thought let's see if we can spend some and stay up and then spend more as with Eddie? Then the decision to invest in the new training facilities. That is obviously seen as a bigger priority at the moment than spending lots on the squad. Would be nice to see a bit more spent, but it's Max's money and he's already spent lots on us, so kind of fair enough too. If we did a Forest, that would be irresponsible. Let's also just wait to see what happens before the deadline. There might be some surprises still.

• vapid (adj.)
offering nothing that is stimulating or challenging; bland

• jejune (adj.)
naive, simplistic, and superficial.
'their entirely predictable and usually jejune opinions'

• trite (adj.)
of a remark or idea) lacking originality or freshness; dull on account of overuse.
'this point may now seem obvious and trite'

I'm as happy as I've ever been with the board - I just wish they were a bit more open sooner than the Parker leaving statement.

One or two decent signings a window is ample, throwing in players for the sake of it is poor value and I'm glad the board now realise players like Brad Smith, Jordan Ibe and Rhoys Wiggins are not and never were the solution.

Parker himself said he switched his phone off for the summer, so maybe this didn't all come to a head before pre-season. How much had we spent when we were first promoted (genuine question as I can't remember?) Maybe the board/Max thought let's see if we can spend some and stay up and then spend more as with Eddie? Then the decision to invest in the new training facilities. That is obviously seen as a bigger priority at the moment than spending lots on the squad. Would be nice to see a bit more spent, but it's Max's money and he's already spent lots on us, so kind of fair enough too. If we did a Forest, that would be irresponsible. Let's also just wait to see what happens before the deadline. There might be some surprises still.

Not sure how accurate these figures are, these are the figures with the first season in PL with Eddie.

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=359&teamTabs=transfers&season_id=145

Scott Parker

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=359&teamTabs=transfers&season_id=145

I'm as happy as I've ever been with the board - I just wish they were a bit more open sooner than the Parker leaving statement.

One or two decent signings a window is ample, throwing in players for the sake of it is poor value and I'm glad the board now realise players like Brad Smith, Jordan Ibe and Rhoys Wiggins are not and never were the solution.

Rhoys Wiggins? He was outstanding before his bum injury. And 2nd time around cost next to nothing as brought as 3rd choice LB iirc.

Makes you wonder what Christmas morning in the Waz household was like... "This is FIFA 07, I asked for FIFA 08!!!! Have you ever actually played computer games before? How am I supposed to compete at this level without the upgraded manager mode and enhanced soundtrack?!?" with his poor mother sat there staring into space.

Regarding Eddie- how many inadequate players did he 'stockpile' AFTER promotion who weren't PL standard? Are we blaming the board for those signings but giving Eddie the credit for the good ones? Is that how this works?

• vapid (adj.)
offering nothing that is stimulating or challenging; bland

• jejune (adj.)
naive, simplistic, and superficial.
'their entirely predictable and usually jejune opinions'

• trite (adj.)
of a remark or idea) lacking originality or freshness; dull on account of overuse.
'this point may now seem obvious and trite'
Is this a Suzie Dent tweet? ;-)

;