Brett Pitman

Silent AFCB - 26/3/2018 10:22

What about joining Bristol City instead of Blackpool after we accepted an offer?

Ultimately I think he knows he's not good enough to hold down a starting place in a PL team and chose both times to play regularly in the Championship instead.

You could be right, although I was under the impression at the time that Blackpool were offering a significantly reduced wage in comparison to Bristol City.

cockbeard - 26/3/2018 11:27

Harsh, he's well above Lg1, top end championship, as evidenced by him playingbthere and scoring regualrly

A few years have passed since then, if he is still up to it why did no Championship side come knocking for him when he left Ipswich? or in the transfer window in January.

...always liked the guy and it was good to see him leading the line in yesterday's match for Pompey...an intelligent player as well as goalscorer IMO....weren't Chelsea looking at him before we sold him the first time?

In my top 5 AFCB strikers ever he is in there along with Ted MacDougall,Colin Clarke,Efan Ekoku and James Hayter....

redharry - 26/3/2018 12:08

cockbeard - 26/3/2018 11:27

Harsh, he's well above Lg1, top end championship, as evidenced by him playingbthere and scoring regualrly

A few years have passed since then, if he is still up to it why did no Championship side come knocking for him when he left Ipswich? or in the transfer window in January.

Because he had got the big payday and just wanted to be as close as possible to family. He still had a year on contract at Ipswich and if they didn't play hoofball he could easily have stuck it out for the extra money

Was absolute class for us , a fantastic natural goal scorer .
His goals instrumental in pushing us up the leagues and making us potent in front of goal .
Top lad .

Kudos - 26/3/2018 10:49

Pitman is a legend and is the highest scoring Bournemouth player in my lifetime so hard not to be sentimental about the guy.

I don't think he was really up to Championship football let alone Premier League football. Unfortunately while if delivered the right ball he would be able to finish at any level, his physicality just wasn't there. He didn't have the explosive pace we needed in the Championship and he doesn't have the stammina to defend from the front in the Premier League.

I always thought that Grabban was the guy who had everything needed from a striker but couldn't score, Brett had nothing but couldn't miss. Wilson had the best of both.

I think he used all of his "explosive pace" at Fulham, when he scored that cracking goal. He's got none left now!

He did also run far too far against Blackpool that same season, can't have been easy doing that kind of mileage

Though in all seriousness, bloke deserves nothing but praise from all of us

Better one on one with a keeper than anyone else I've seen in a Boscombe shirt. Always deserved better than he got form some of our alleged "supporters"

Only player I've ever seen unselfishly roll the ball to a team mate having drawn the keeper for a tap in, only to find the t055er next to him had walked offside...

...TWICE!!!!

(IIRC Junior Stanislas and Ryan Moss were the offenders)

Also, that PoorOldPompey result yesterday puts us a few points closer to singing a song that ends "Shrewsbury, Que Sera, Sera" in a few weeks :126:

... now each on 22 goals for the season. Together with Afobe, Grabban and Surridge our recent players/loanees making an impact.

I love a Brett thread. It gives an opportunity to 'all hail' the legend. All the fuckwits that used to give him stick for 'not trying' 'lack of effort' etc. Shame on you.

Quite simply ...no Brett.. no meteoric rise to established premier league club. His contribution to this club's current status cannot ever be understated. 100% afcb legend. I feckin love the man.

;