Bristol City

Like many games last season where we play it in from the wings and cross it in Defoe just doesn’t get the service, he’s visibly frustrated.

There were times when it was difficult to see which was the PL side. Thought we looked a bit lax and not up for it as much as Brizzle - no outstanding performances really. Still, no injuries and useful game time.

Think friendlies give a false impression, the game is played at an easy pace, that’s why I don’t go to them any more.

Remember seeing Chukki score two goalsin a friendly when he first joined our club. How many goals did he score when it came to the real nitty gritty of league football?

Let’s keep the hysteria in check. Firstly we know from experience there is little difference between the quality of the top half of the championship vs the majority of the Prem. Secondly BC are a week ahead and a week away from their season opener. So the message they were given vs the message EH has given would be different and thirdly what we saw was was unlikely to be the personnel or the formation we will line up with against Cardiff. This is likely to be the cup side with a couple of exceptions. And let’s face it. If we played BC in the cup and got this result we would be ok with it based on the last 4-5 years of FA Cup performances.

Think friendlies give a false impression, the game is played at an easy pace, that’s why I don’t go to them any more.

Remember seeing Chukki score two goalsin a friendly when he first joined our club. How many goals did he score when it came to the real nitty gritty of league football?
I didn’t get any false impression watching the game. The fact is that we looked a bit lax and not up for it as much as BC, merely my view FWIW.

I was encouraged by the first 2 friendlies, with the obvious exception of our defence shocker in the 1st half v Levante. Tonight I was more concerned. It was lacklustre and our touch on the ball was awful.

BC played very well are obviously ahead of us fitness wise in preseason. That was their strongest XI according to the commentator so it’s not all doom and gloom, but the opportunity is there for tomorrow’s XI to confirm their place

Sorry but is Ibe genuinely thick or something? Seems he cannot follow simple instructions and is a complete waste of time on the football pitch

A little harsh; but his progress to stardom seems to be taking a while. :grinning:

Not too worried out our performance overall; we've been dismal in friendlies for the past 40 years, playing teams off the park one day and then not showing up 2 days later.

If we haven't got a point 6 games into the season, then I'll start to worry.

It's a friendly, half our team are playing today. I had forgotten we were even playing. I will start to get interested in 2 weeks time.

I really struggle to see the point of these friendlies, it can only be to gain match fitness which is obviously important but surely continuity, team cohesion and confidence building is also important?

Was disappointed in not making the most of all those corners we had in the second half. Mings was impressive but we sure as hell missed Nathan at the back. Josh said post match that he was tired, perhaps they’ve done a bit too much on the training ground !

I got to watch another meaningless away friendly without having to go! Losing at Poole Town used to p155 me off because I'd have to go and watch it!

Half the first team squad are 90 minutes fitter and sharper and no obvious injuries. BCFC are a week ahead fitness wise which showed 2nd half.

I'm struggling to see the negatives here, and my sheets are still dry. It's normally sweat, honest :innocent:

I went out after we were one-nil up. Looked at the last two pages of this thread just now and thought we must have been thrashed. Go to the official site and it says we drew!

What is wrong with you lot!?

It was Bristol City’s final game before the season starts this time next week.

We’ve got 3 more friendlies in that time.

Both sides at completely different phases and preparation ahead of the new season.

Not so Horndean - among those who turn up are fans who can't get tickets for regular games. Like cup games, the attendance is often young and enthusiastic. Family stand at DC was crammed last year for friendlies. Yes - build it and they will come!
Agree. One of my earlier sports recollections is going to a Montreal Canadiens hockey game. In those days, you could actually stand in the corridor as the players went past, in their brilliant uniforms (bleu blanc rouge) and seemingly huge on their skates. But I was about six at the time. Then, waiting for the players to come out to get autographs. I think that friendlies would give younger fans a chance to get close to their heroes, in a safe environment and without the "win or lose" anxiety. Heck, I would go to one if I was over there, as chances of getting to a league game are so limited otherwise.

So much total nonsense written on here about last night's game. As someone who was there our 'class' was apparent way beyond City's. I will say however that their ground was impressive. Now that was Premier League standard

;