Burton Albion v AFC Bournemouth - 3rd Round League Cup

....difficult NOT to criticise players when you have paid and taken time to travel to Burton and have to witness that show that makes you wonder why you do it?

Sorry but I could take any spirited defeat and a team really looking like they can pass and penetrate a lower league defence in order to be competitive...but I feel like I have been robbed!
Good point.If the players and management get plaudits for good games and performances then criticism should be accepted for shite performances and non trying.Not pure hostility to certain players but constructive criticism and a fans subjective view

Why wasn't Ake playing in that weak defence, they needed someone to lead. Howe made 10 changes because he thought it was a walk in the park and got it wrong. Putting all those players together the team was weak.
Excuses for every one of them. just back from injury, out of position, out of form or doesn't give a toss.
Strange how other Premier league teams don't make wholesale changes.
Those that do, struggle.

...more galling that given the draw...it is possible that a club like Southampton, Everton, Wolves, Aston Villa or Leicester City could pick up silver ware and these are teams we should be in the mix with...

We have a game on Saturday, so Eddie was always going to rest the team that beat Saints.

What would the reaction have been on here if Eddie had played Ake and other first team players and they picked up an injury?

When the lineup was announced you only have to look back at some of the comments on what a strong lineup etc.

That team should of beaten Burton nine times out of ten.If there's no effort and no gelling of the team,then you'd win maybe one out of ten

Wasn't there, couldn't stream it and couldn't even listen on the radio (wtf is the point of internet radio?), so had to rely on comments on here and it sounds like everyone had a mare, but in defence of Jack Simpson...he has played a grand total of 15 times for Bournemouth in 4 seasons. He desperately needs a loan if he's going to improve. Injuries to other players have prevented this so far, but come January I hope he'll get a chance for regular football.

Such a delightful town, Burton-on-Trent is. The extended game meant I missed my train home and had to stay in one of their illustrious hotels. Enjoyed the spiders in the corner of my room. On the way to the train station this morning my Uber driver got into an accident and wound up in a fistfight with the female occupant of the other car. Missed that second train, now booked on a third departure at full price, after giving a police statement. Went to get a soft drink at the store next to the station: you guessed it, no electricity. Had to walk a half mile to find a store with power.

This whole adventure will wind up costing about £150. But I did see one whole Cherries shot. At least Wigan had functioning trains and power to go along with the torrential rain in that debacle. I’d suggest in future years I might skip weeknight Cup games in small dreary Northern towns. Given their performance in such encounters, the team might consider the same.

I agree that Eddie needs to take some of the blame here regarding motivation. If you consider that he would've made 5 team talks throughout the match:
Pre match
Half time
3 X floodlight failures

So many opportunities to change things and/or fire a rocket up their arses.

Why wasn't Ake playing in that weak defence, they needed someone to lead. Howe made 10 changes because he thought it was a walk in the park and got it wrong. Putting all those players together the team was weak.
Excuses for every one of them. just back from injury, out of position, out of form or doesn't give a toss.
Strange how other Premier league teams don't make wholesale changes.
Those that do, struggle.
Francis played. You would think our club captain would be the one leading?

Here are my two suggestions:

1. Play the strongest team, not "one that should be good enough to win". I don't buy this bollox about squad rotation. How many extra games would that be at a max? They dont even bother with replays now. Treat the cup with the respect we all slagged off Liverpool for NOT showing Burnley years ago.

2. Make the poor players travel up and back by coach, not by bloody luxury airplane. Let them see how the fans suffer watching games like that.

Rant over ;-)

Eddie on last night.

He said: “I see it as an opportunity missed every game you don’t fulfil your potential and play the way you want to.

“It’s desperately disappointing, we are kicking ourselves – we know we are a lot better than that. It didn’t really show in the match.

“I think we lacked everything. We lacked quality on the ball, we lacked intensity off the ball, we lacked our usual swagger. Certainly, we will have a lot of reflection.

“I need to go away, watch the game and pick the bones out of it.”

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/s...mouth-lacked-everything-defeat-burton-albion/
Yawn.

What a thoroughly enjoyable evening to remember in Burton-on-Trent, football apart.
Next time we play there try The Last Heretic micropub. Good choice of beers and a very friendly landlord. Not only did he give us a lift to the game but he even stopped off at the Town Brewery for another taste of local ale with us.
Some good natured singing, three floodlight failures and the probably never to be repeated 'the 4th official has announced that there will be 28 minutes of additional time'.
As for the football, I'm just glad that I didn't travel from Bournemouth. I actually thought that Ibe was the best of a bad bunch but then I left early to catch my train.
Imagine my shock when I got home and found out that we had failed to equalize and win the penalty shoot out. Roll on FA Cup Round 3 and Rochdale away. I believe that they have an excellent chippy near the ground and I am sure there will be an excellent pub nearby - to help dull the senses.

I don't like that we've lost to a L1 team in the only Cup we probably could win but I think most people would've made changes and agreed the line-up was good enough to win but just like the previous round the players couldn't be bothered because its only the cup. Not really Eddie's fault that the players cba to perform to a professional standard. If we win against West Ham Ill forgive it and City will probably win this Cup again anyway but likes of Solanke who couldn't score if his life depended on it, Ibe & Simpson need to do one and Fraser should go in Jan if he cba anymore, his miserable face annoys me.
Not ten changes though ! And how much training did they do together in the week before the game ?
Team of individuals who couldn’t be bothered ...picked by a manager who said after Stains his focus was on the West Ham game ...

What a thoroughly enjoyable evening to remember in Burton-on-Trent, football apart.
Next time we play there try The Last Heretic micropub. Good choice of beers and a very friendly landlord. Not only did he give us a lift to the game but he even stopped off at the Town Brewery for another taste of local ale with us.
Some good natured singing, three floodlight failures and the probably never to be repeated 'the 4th official has announced that there will be 28 minutes of additional time'.
As for the football, I'm just glad that I didn't travel from Bournemouth. I actually thought that Ibe was the best of a bad bunch but then I left early to catch my train.
Imagine my shock when I got home and found out that we had failed to equalize and win the penalty shoot out. Roll on FA Cup Round 3 and Rochdale away. I believe that they have an excellent chippy near the ground and I am sure there will be an excellent pub nearby - to help dull the senses.

Excellent chippy confirmed at Rochdale and one near to Crewe's Gresty Road ground. Also Paul Moulden's at Breightmet if we ever play at Bury again.

Dont agree with people saying it's not the managers fault. Ultimately, if the team dont perform, for whatever reason, the blame lies with the manager.

If Howe truely cared about the game, we would have seen a different performance on Wednesday.

We should all know by now what to expect from our cup ties.

It's about securing Premier League status above all else.

;