Callum Wilson

Not sure I’d want two 30 year olds for £17mil on big wages, though they might be handy in the championship.
Would rather we sourced younger talent.
Maybe take Gayle on loan as he seems to always be successful in the championship

Not sure I’d want two 30 year olds for £17mil on big wages, though they might be handy in the championship.
Would rather we sourced younger talent.
Maybe take Gayle on loan as he seems to always be successful in the championship

I tend to agree with you, however if the club are SERIOUS about getting promotion... then these two are about as good as you can get - mainly matt r for his amazing attitude, professionalism, fitness & no little ability

No Good..no good backtracking...you gotta Move On. Get the Youth going!

The PL was crap..... the Champ League Semis....have 2 French and 2 Jerries....Says it All. Both have better Leagues and better Football. I'm on a roll now!
:yes:
Edit:...now Seville have removed Newton Heath Canal Dwellers from the Europa Cup....it gets better.. I'm Rockin the Roll !

Last edited:
If he’s not wanted at Newcastle and he gets the opportunity to play here. He still has property in the area I believe. I’m not saying it will happen but I don’t think it’s as far fetched as you think.
Remember franno saying during lockdown video that Matty recently bought a house in Ringwood..

Yep. Harry Arter admitted his form went massively downhill after he signed his bumper contract. Wilson doesn't need to admit it, it's clear as day.

Something clearly affecting motivation in some of these players once they feel they've proven themselves.

Recall a debate a few years ago about different pressure/issues to deal with at different levels of management.

People were having jabs at Mourinho for only managing elite clubs with loads of money. The panel were saying that it's a skill being able to deal with players ego's and the personalities that tend to come with the higher wages . Keeping them happy, motivated etc

Maybe something Howe needs to work on if he has aspirations of managing bigger clubs.

If it is true that Wilson has had his wages reduced from £100k to £50k on relegation then it might be worth holding on to him. His contract is until 2023. Players that look like possible replacements are Ivan Toney, who Peterborough want £9mil for.
Dwight Gayle would cost £8mil and at least £50k a week, and is 30...
Might be worth seeing how Wilson does back in the championship.
Would probably regret it come the first game where I can watch him stroll around and get offside for fun, but would worry about us bringing in a player that we presume is definitely going to get us goals at great expense, as historically, that’s not always worked out in the last 10 or so years

Reactions: drd
Recall a debate a few years ago about different pressure/issues to deal with at different levels of management.

People were having jabs at Mourinho for only managing elite clubs with loads of money. The panel were saying that it's a skill being able to deal with players ego's and the personalities that tend to come with the higher wages . Keeping them happy, motivated etc

Maybe something Howe needs to work on if he has aspirations of managing bigger clubs.

This is what I wonder. In my opinion the issues that eventually did for us were down to this rather than tactical and recruitment. Obviously there were errors made in both of those areas but the team just seemed to lose its way completely and this affected new signings and Championship stalwarts alike.

If it is true that Wilson has had his wages reduced from £100k to £50k on relegation then it might be worth holding on to him. His contract is until 2023. Players that look like possible replacements are Ivan Toney, who Peterborough want £9mil for.
Dwight Gayle would cost £8mil and at least £50k a week, and is 30...
Might be worth seeing how Wilson does back in the championship.
Would probably regret it come the first game where I can watch him stroll around and get offside for fun, but would worry about us bringing in a player that we presume is definitely going to get us goals at great expense, as historically, that’s not always worked out in the last 10 or so years
See in terms of Wilson being offside . This is his fault but also him making runs and us being slow will releasing the ball forward

See in terms of Wilson being offside . This is his fault but also him making runs and us being slow will releasing the ball forward

Been saying this for ages... We mess around with the ball so much at times, it is impossible for the forwards to know when to make the runs... Yes, Wilson needs to work on being 'better' at judging, especially in a time of VAR, but give him a team with more creativity in the midfield, then I think his form will begin to turn for the better...

You never know, a year in the Championship, or at least several months, could be the best thing for him and his career... Get him scoring again for fun, increase his value a bit and he'll get his big move and be back in Gareth's thoughts...

Latest from Reuters: “English Premier League club Newcastle United has held talks with the Bellagraph Nova Group (BNG) group over a possible takeover bid, the Singapore-backed company said in a statement.”

The report goes on to say that BNG are minted and delivered a letter of intent and proof of funds on 10 August.

If there is a serious offer on the table Mike Ashley ain’t going to sanction signing anyone, except maybe the odd free transfer.

It may just be a case of Callum hitting the ground running in the Championship, get his mojo back and sell him in January if we are not among the chasing pack for promotion.

It may just be a case of Callum hitting the ground running in the Championship, get his mojo back and sell him in January if we are not among the chasing pack for promotion.
As others have said I would seriously doubt his motivation in dropping down to the Championship, partly because he thinks he's to good for it, that's the impression I get anyway.

As others have said I would seriously doubt his motivation in dropping down to the Championship, partly because he thinks he's to good for it, that's the impression I get anyway.

What makes you say “he thinks he’s to[o] good for it...”. I think he’s always conducted himself very well. He’s certainly not a big time Charlie - he seems fairly humble. Usually optimistic and smiling - good player to have around. Unless he’s still on £5.2m a season, in which case, that’s not sustainable.

What makes you say “he thinks he’s to[o] good for it...”. I think he’s always conducted himself very well. He’s certainly not a big time Charlie - he seems fairly humble. Usually optimistic and smiling - good player to have around. Unless he’s still on £5.2m a season, in which case, that’s not sustainable.
He said himself he needs to be playing premier league football to get in the England team, which I think he's got no chance of now and how he reacted since he got his pay rise. I wouldn't have had him in the team for the past year or so, eight premier league goals from your main striker is one of the reasons we're going down imo.

;