Callum Wilson

Villa have made an approach according to this.

Good that things appear to be hotting up. We want this done and dusted asap so we can make our moves and preparations. Two club fighting over him might force them to act sooner rather than wait to see if we blink over his fee.
Agreed, this is one (unlike Ramsdale imo) where I think it’s frankly in the interest of both parties for a move. Will always love Callum for what he’s done for us but sometimes we have to accept that things just come to a natural conclusion.

My big question is why would Matt Ritchie want to move to Bournemouth.

a) Signed a three-year contract just six months ago
b) Why drop down a division?
c) Would/could Bournemouth match the wages?
d) Even if he has a house, it will still be there in three years time?

Could Newcastle, desperate to sign a striker (i.e. Callum Wilson) but unable or unwilling to splash a headline amount of cash, make Bournemouth some kind of offer that compensates Matt, but that we can afford?

My big question is why would Matt Ritchie want to move to Bournemouth.

a) Signed a three-year contract just six months ago
b) Why drop down a division?
c) Would/could Bournemouth match the wages?
d) Even if he has a house, it will still be there in three years time?

Could Newcastle, desperate to sign a striker (i.e. Callum Wilson) but unable or unwilling to splash a headline amount of cash, make Bournemouth some kind of offer that compensates Matt, but that we can afford?

my big answer is.... if he has a house in the ringwood area, he has to return. ITS THE LAW.

Thinking this through - Newcastle want Callum, so do Villa. Newcastle don’t have a pot to pi$$ in, so can only offer about £20 million. Villa know that Newcastle are skint so offer £22 million. AFCB want more so spin a story that they’d take a lower offer from Newcastle if they chuck in Matt Ritchie. Cue huge internet chatter. Villa fall for it and up their bid to close to AFCB’s £30 million asking price.

Just saying ...

Thinking this through - Newcastle want Callum, so do Villa. Newcastle don’t have a pot to pi$$ in, so can only offer about £20 million. Villa know that Newcastle are skint so offer £22 million. AFCB want more so spin a story that they’d take a lower offer from Newcastle if they chuck in Matt Ritchie. Cue huge internet chatter. Villa fall for it and up their bid to close to AFCB’s £30 million asking price.

Just saying ...

Hope there’s something in that but I suspect you’re overestimating both the numbers and our directors’ business acumen.

As I said on the other thread, the smart move is to get Newcastle to subsidise £3m or so of Ritchie‘s wages and reduce Callum’s value in the transfer by the same amount. We owe Coventry 15% above £3m so the lower Callum’s fee the better as long as we are getting compensated another way.

That answers my question above.

However, can Newcastle actually do that? If Ritchie coming to us is a loan, sure. But in the case of a transfer?

As I said on the other thread, the smart move is to get Newcastle to subsidise £3m or so of Ritchie‘s wages and reduce Callum’s value in the transfer by the same amount. We owe Coventry 15% above £3m so the lower Callum’s fee the better as long as we are getting compensated another way.
Isn't this exactly the kind of snide tactic that we used to absolutely despise back in the days when we were penniless ?

;