Cameron Carter-Vickers

Having never seen him play I don’t have any real affection for the guy.

He also never played under Parker, never played alongside Travers, didn’t play regularly in a pair with Lloyd Kelly so he wouldn’t slot into the side any easier than any other new signing really.

I wouldn’t say no, just wouldn’t be chomping at the bit, moving heaven and earth to get him.

I’d rather Nat Phillips on a full season loan if the option was there.

Like the idea of another loan, but only with option to buy built in.

Issue is, if he steps up and has a very good season, Liverpool will raise his price and/or bigger clubs will come sniffing.

For 10 million, I'd sign him permanently.

Of course he may flop, but I suspect he'll give his at least what you expect from a 10 mill player (in the current market). So permanent for that fee is better deal imo on this occasion. Otherwise you lose/don;t obtain an asset with future sell on potential.

Issue is, if he steps up and has a very good season, Liverpool will raise his price and/or bigger clubs will come sniffing.

Of course he may flop, but I suspect he'll give his at least what you expect from a 10 mill player (in the current market). So permanent for that fee is better deal imo on this occasion. Otherwise you lose/don;t obtain an asset with future sell on potential.

It's a good point. A £10m player these days is just ok - will do a job but nothing spectacular. Afobe was £10m and that was about right for him.

If they’d let him go for something in the region of that then sure, anything higher and I’d have it as an option in the loan to be triggered if we stay up.

Returning to the main point - CCV has no Premiership experience and is 6’1’’ - Phillips has 17 appearances and is 6’3’’. I would prefer that known quality and the extra height to an unproven (at PL level) player who is two inches shorter. For me it’s not about these two but who is the type of player we need.it’s merely an easier illustration with players we know. If we can get another Cahill/Distin type then that may well be the best option of all. I just don’t want to see the likes of Scott Dann and Lewis’s Dunk type players getting free headers at corners etc
As Fop Terrier seems to be fixated on Phillips though I will say he was as committed a loan player as we have ever had and never shirked a header or tackle (see the header against Steve Cook for instance - where Cookie was injured). To suggest he didn’t want to/couldn’t be bothered to jump against Mitrovic makes no sense at all given the evidence over many games. I also don’t remember Mitrovic getting any other joy in the Fulham game. In addition- the clip posted shows Phillips was being leant on and you try jumping up if your leaning forward. ‘Unforgivable’ - only In the eyes of a pitchfork carrying kangaroo court juror with a liking for hanging trees. I‘m done with this thread now - next.
You are done when we say you are done
1653646144634.png

From what I’ve seen it’s reported as £6million rising to a possible £10million.

That would make him their record signing by quite a few million. He’s good but is he really that good?
I think he's found his level. Him and Celtic are right for each other. Hopefully he'll improve with them and get a move to a top European club in a few years time.

Prices mean nothing .....I could reel of loads of players overpriced....Maguire's 85 mill. for starters
In your opinion, and with the benefit of hindsight, Maguire and plenty of other players were overpriced, yes. But when a club signs a player for a fee, unless they’re also involved in some sort of money laundering scheme, then the buying clubs view is that the fee is worth it for the player they’re getting. So if the fee genuinely is/was £12m, then Celtic believe he is worth making their record signing. That’s what I was questioning.

Seems as though the fee is actually much lower which would make more sense.

In your opinion, and with the benefit of hindsight, Maguire and plenty of other players were overpriced, yes. But when a club signs a player for a fee, unless they’re also involved in some sort of money laundering scheme, then the buying clubs view is that the fee is worth it for the player they’re getting. So if the fee genuinely is/was £12m, then Celtic believe he is worth making their record signing. That’s what I was questioning.

Seems as though the fee is actually much lower which would make more sense.
Maguire is only overpriced in retrospect.

At the time the fee raised a few eyebrows but he was thought of as one of the best English CBs for the future and Manure were desperate.

The reviews CCV receives in the Scottish papers from ex pros are phenomenal.
I think he is possibly best player in the Scottish league at the moment.
Interestingly Rossi, who I do rate also, has been relegated twice in consecutive seasons now on loan in Scotland.

I expect he is aiming higher than Celtic but sadly for him clubs don’t want him at the price quoted. Says a lot really.

It does indeed. He was at a high profile club like Spurs. Most clubs would have had him watched with his contract situation.

He’s shown himself at Championship level and in Scotland. But other clubs haven’t been banging the door down to sign him.

We had question marks over him regarding his turning speed, acceleration and overall pace and that was from watching him on tv.

If those were indeed valid concerns then that could be why Premier League clubs are looking at other options.

It does indeed. He was at a high profile club like Spurs. Most clubs would have had him watched with his contract situation.

He’s shown himself at Championship level and in Scotland. But other clubs haven’t been banging the door down to sign him.

We had question marks over him regarding his turning speed, acceleration and overall pace and that was from watching him on tv.

If those were indeed valid concerns then that could be why Premier League clubs are looking at other options.

Yes, I think you;re right re turning circle. Pace maybe not such a big issue, but coupled with agility concerns...

Basically a better version of Miles Addison then :D.

;