Charlie Daniels

Charlie has generally stepped up when he knows his place is under real threat. This may be the case again.

I was told that Charlie begged Howe to sign another LB as his legs are gone and he can no longer do a full season in this league,hence the reason Rico was signed.
Its great that Charlie is back in the side but it sounds like he is happy enough being a bit part player.
Hopefully we will see Kelly soon enough too.

Agree Charlie D has been a stirling asset in the Premiership and previously in the Championship. His only true dip in form seemed to be when he was mooted for an England place. Maybe the chants of "Charlie Daniels for England" got to him pressure wise.
Although not the best aerially in my opinion he's pretty solid as a defender (bearing in mind they all make mistakes - except for Ake) and good going forward with whoever he's paired with on the left. And we've all seen how he can strike a ball - goal of the month August 2017 against City !!!

What I can't figure out though is bearing in mind Eddie is often quite risk averse, why Rico was picked over Charlie for game one. Charlie played a really good 90 minutes against Lazio so fitness was not a problem.

And secondly with Rico having a poor game (some on here would even say terrible) why Charlie D wasn't substituted on from bench. Instead Eddie waits til 90 th minute to bring on Slonake. It's a head scratcher.

With Kelly fit I feel he will become a good challenge for the left back slot for Charlie but Rico will be third in line.

If I was him as a relatively young player wanting game time I'd be looking elsewhere and realise this is a move that just hasn't worked out.

Daniels benefited from playing in a normal formation with regular partnerships. He was good, but it's not exactly a fair comparison. Smith was also much better than last week.

Daniels benefited from playing in a normal formation with regular partnerships. He was good, but it's not exactly a fair comparison. Smith was also much better than last week.
Smith also had a pass accuracy of 42% against Villa which makes Rico’s 62% the previous week look almost Xaviesque.

Admittedly there were reasons for that - unfamiliar partnership with H Wilson and us playing on the counter meaning more long passes down the line. Smith was very good defensively against Villa, a massive improvement on the previous where he didn’t make a single defensive contribution. Anyway I’m not posting this to knock Smith, I just wish people could be a little more objective and consistent when criticising certain players.

Smith also had a pass accuracy of 42% against Villa which makes Rico’s 62% the previous week look almost Xaviesque.

Admittedly there were reasons for that - unfamiliar partnership with H Wilson and us playing on the counter meaning more long passes down the line. Smith was very good defensively against Villa, a massive improvement on the previous where he didn’t make a single defensive contribution. Anyway I’m not posting this to knock Smith, I just wish people could be a little more objective and consistent when criticising certain players.
Most people seem to decide very early on whether or not they like a player and then judge his future performances on those preconceptions rather than judging performances objectively. It works both ways too. I get that a player deserves a bit of lee way if they’ve proved they can perform well already but let’s try to be as objective as possible when judging a players performance.

Rico terrible against Sheffield united? Give me strength some people really do need a scapegoat every time things don’t go our way
For me, I'd simply like to see one pacy run down the wing from the lad for me to know that he can be a wing back and not a full back. He often is very conservative in his decision making, and I yearn to see him beating his marker and using that left foot, which we know can be deadly - we have just not seen it whatsoever.

And whether it full backs or wing backs on Sunday the pair of them are going to have a real challenge against Stirling and De Bruyne.....the best full backs in the world will struggle at times against that.

Against Villa there were several occasions when Fraser chased back and doubled up with Daniels against the winger.

This really nullified their attack down that side. H Wilson did likewise but with less impact.

It appeared to me that rather than making tackles our defensive policy was to shepherd opposition players away.

So Grealish saw a lot of the ball but repeatedly went sideways, likewise Douglas-Luiz.

IMHO last week's cock up was down to Eddie and this week's success was down to him too.

I'm not sure Daniels was as responsible for the success of this week as some want to believe and equally I don't think Rico was as responsible for the failings of last week as some want to believe.

Last edited:
Daniels attacking with Pugh was fantastic. They seemed to have a telepathic understanding, but after Pugh started to get less game Daniels has struggled to find as good a partnership and as he's got older he passes sideways and back a lot more when he used to attack. So, I don't think Rico's any better or worse than him currently, but surely EH needs to give him a run of games to boost his confidence?

Read today Charlie gives 1% of his wages to a football charity. ......only goes to show he will be up there with other cherry legends

;