Chelsea v AFC Bournemouth

A great team performance. Right and compact, drilled to play to a system that was incredibly effective (just witness the number of times the Chelsea centre halves hoofed cross field balls out of play - our positioning was perfect / their execution inevitably wasn’t inch perfect). Without taking anything away from the team performance, a special mention for Franno - man of the match for me. Organised everything, won everything that came his way. Perfect positioning. Mepham had his best game for us yet - no surprise that he did so well alongside Franno who was constantly talking and encouraging. No fear at any point of getting caught out by a ball over the top. If Eddie has a blind spot for Franno it’s only that he insists on shoe horning him into the team at right back where he struggles a little bit as I fear he’s lost a bit of explosive acceleration over 6 feet. But right side of centre half... awesome :bow::whistle:

Watched Eddie’s interview on COWS and heard it on Solent.

But no mention if Josh King had an injury or not, anyone else heard anything?

I do find this ironic that this is being thrown towards me. Considering I used to call for three in midfield in the Championship because games went by that we struggled to get a foothold in the game...

...but then the players put the effort in, evolved and showed they can dominate the ball in midfield despite having a man less etc.

It’s the same now, just different challenges in the Premier League and different managers.

The focus isn’t on the formation on paper whether 2 central midfielders or 3. It’s whether the players take responsibility on the pitch for their performance.

It’s too simplistic to just call out a formation if the players don’t perform or celebrate it when they do at this level. It’s not football manager and just hitting play.

You can name a 4-4-1-1 and it can evolve during a game the central pair can both drop deep or create a diamond, the wingers can get chalk on their boots or tuck inside and you dominate with a narrow midfield, the number 10 can drop into midfield to make the 5 or drift out wide etc etc etc. The wingers can push on and it’s really a 4-2-3-1 and so on and so on.

Formations under Eddie the further up the ladder we’ve gone are always fluid and playing a different tactic or style depending on the opposition.

Yes sometimes the game plan can be wrong, sometimes he shouldn’t match up and should concentrate on us to force the opposition to change, but more often than not it’s the players that make it successful or a failure depending on tempo, attitude, pressing.

That’s what was wrong in recent games and those performances would have happened regardless of formation.
Great post....but i think you'll find that only applies to other formations...4411 can only ever be 442 apparently.....:wagging:

Couldn't be there today (which probably helped us win judging by my recent record). Would be fascinated to hear what the formation actually looked/functioned like.

Pleased for Eddie, he has been under pressure and things getting worse with injuries.

He obviously has given big thought to the team and style he put out today.

Just hope Josh King is ok for the Burnley game.

For once Eddie might be able to have a smile on his face and then travel back home and enjoy a relaxing weekend with his family.

The challenge on Josh right in front of us near the corner flag was a foul and we should have got a free kick. The ref today, Mr Scott was a bit of a 'homer.'

;