Chelsea v AFC Bournemouth

I really enjoyed Gosling briefly celebrating a second time when the word "goal" appeared on the big screen along with "VAR checking" - but not as much as when the ref picked up the ball and pointed to the centre circle.

He said after that was because the bench had watched the monitor and signalled to him that it was going to be a goal. Linesman was poor I thought. We have seen many ridiculous marginal decisions on MOTD featuring other teams when it’s been someone’s armpit playing them onside etc but Gosling was way onside when Lerma headed it.

Gossers goal reminded me of Steves v Liverpool in the 4-3. Different , but in terms of Seizing the Moment...the creation and coolness... and above all the confidence lift...against talented big club defenders !

Eddie now has that in his Portfolio....from Gosser..the Minister without Portfolio...if you get my drift...

Sorry about that.. but im in my own little Super Sunday World ...its what almost 60 years of being a Cherry has done!

Well Shearer thought we were brilliant yesterday and in particular Lerma as he highlighted on MOTD.

Watched longer highlights on Sky and they played the ‘offside’ incident re Gosling a few times.

What you could see just before it, Billing was wandering back from an offside position, but in the line of players when the ball was headed forward by Lerma, Gosling was onside and anticipated it well and what a sublime lob to get the ball just over the line.

On another note there has been a lot of talk re Fraser’s form and attitude recently, when the goal eventually stood, the players ran to our crowd and Fraser had a big beaming smile on his face, he seemed as happy as everyone.

On another note there has been a lot of talk re Fraser’s form and attitude recently, when the goal eventually stood, the players ran to our crowd and Fraser had a big beaming smile on his face, he seemed as happy as everyone.

Win bonus just before Christmas ;)

Just watched it back on Sky. The closeup of the referees assistant showed his watch flashing 'Goal'.

The longer the wait, the more I felt it was going to go our way.

What a performance from everyone yesterday.

Shame to see so many empty seats in the away section.

I was listening on Solent yesterday and it seemed ages before KT said it’s a goal.

Very similar incident at Dean Court while we all waited watching and listening before it was a goal.

Can’t remember who the opposition where, think it was King who scored.

I was listening on Solent yesterday and it seemed ages before KT said it’s a goal.

Very similar incident at Dean Court while we all waited watching and listening before it was a goal.

Can’t remember who the opposition where, think it was King who scored.
West Ham?

Fraser looked much better on Motd.....think he has spent some time in Eddies office!
Eddie said " weve had to change a few things" !

I was at non- league ...we lost at home 6-1 to Helston who we beat away in August! Mobile on Flashscore. ..for Boscombe updates.

My mobile lost power with Boscombe at 0-0 at 80 minutes gone ..my Cherry mate from Parley has a phone which has a
thing where it 'buzzes' if there is a score in Boscombe games...he then switches it on.
As we walked out of the ground he shouts "Bri ! Chelsea have scored" ...I should have realised it was a wind-up....the tw#t had a weird Hampshire Grin as he got in his Van!
I was p#ssed off as I drove home and didnt turn the Radio on. Got indoors...Missus goes " Bournemouth done OK then "
" yeah 1- 0..not too bad I spose " goes I.

Turned on my Kindle...looked at the PL table..19 points? Wtf ? The Parley Wind up Git!

The var decision took ages, the longer it went on the more likely it seemed to be a goal, as if it was an obvious offside it would have been a quick decision.
I must admit at the game I thought he was offside, although not in line with back line. Just seemed one where chelsea defence was slow moving out.

I do find this ironic that this is being thrown towards me. Considering I used to call for three in midfield in the Championship because games went by that we struggled to get a foothold in the game...

...but then the players put the effort in, evolved and showed they can dominate the ball in midfield despite having a man less etc.

It’s the same now, just different challenges in the Premier League and different managers.

The focus isn’t on the formation on paper whether 2 central midfielders or 3. It’s whether the players take responsibility on the pitch for their performance.

It’s too simplistic to just call out a formation if the players don’t perform or celebrate it when they do at this level. It’s not football manager and just hitting play.

You can name a 4-4-1-1 and it can evolve during a game the central pair can both drop deep or create a diamond, the wingers can get chalk on their boots or tuck inside and you dominate with a narrow midfield, the number 10 can drop into midfield to make the 5 or drift out wide etc etc etc. The wingers can push on and it’s really a 4-2-3-1 and so on and so on.

Formations under Eddie the further up the ladder we’ve gone are always fluid and playing a different tactic or style depending on the opposition.

Yes sometimes the game plan can be wrong, sometimes he shouldn’t match up and should concentrate on us to force the opposition to change, but more often than not it’s the players that make it successful or a failure depending on tempo, attitude, pressing.

That’s what was wrong in recent games and those performances would have happened regardless of formation.
Of course attitude and application come into it too and yes you can’t argue that the players shouldn’t have acquitted themselves better in the last few weeks, but the tactical set up of the team is also very important! I have seen many people say that one of the key reasons that we got the result yesterday was the lack of space we gave Chelsea in the middle of the pitch due to having the extra body, had EH implemented this in previous weeks then we would be sitting on more than nineteen points right now imo. Tbh I have seen very little evidence of any fluidity this season, the team has generally just been set up in flat lines with forward players seemingly given very little creative license to roam. The way that EH has set the team up has had a huge bearing on the recent performances.

No, it just shows the purple VAR branding and says VAR check.

Their goalie had put the ball down for the free kick so when the ref took his hand off his ear and stepped across to pick up the ball I knew it was a goal. Great feeling.

Having since seen it on MotD I am surprised the check took so long. Gosling was clearly onside and they would have known from the goal line technology that it crossed the line. I suppose they are nervous of making the wrong call against one of the big six.
I think they also had to check Billing wasn't interfering with play as he was in an offside position.

Of course attitude and application come into it too and yes you can’t argue that the players shouldn’t have acquitted themselves better in the last few weeks, but the tactical set up of the team is also very important! I have seen many people say that one of the key reasons that we got the result yesterday was the lack of space we gave Chelsea in the middle of the pitch due to having the extra body, had EH implemented this in previous weeks then we would be sitting on more than nineteen points right now imo. Tbh I have seen very little evidence of any fluidity this season, the team has generally just been set up in flat lines with forward players seemingly given very little creative license to roam. The way that EH has set the team up has had a huge bearing on the recent performances.
The whole team certainly appeared happier with yesterday’s setup and you always felt we’d get plenty of opportunities on the break.
The acid test, if we persist with this system, will be how we cope with a team happy to sit deep and let us keep the ball. Chelsea played into our hands a bit yesterday, always attacking when they could, leaving space behind on turnovers.

I don’t know what has changed with Fraser but he played as if a massive weight had been lifted off his shoulders, always driving forward trying to hurt the opposition every time he got the ball. Very much back to his old self.

By accident or design we seem to have found the best position for Lewis Cook. I thought he was magnificent yesterday, very calm on the ball and dangerous going forwards. The most impressive thing however was how quickly he was getting back to defend. He must have covered some ground yesterday but he never tired. He’s looking in great shape at the moment.

Franno was the cool head in defence, marshaled his colleagues very well and although at times it wasn’t pretty, more often than not somebody managed to get a toe on the ball when it was necessary.

Lerma was a machine, no surprise there.
King was lively and very unfortunate that the referee gave him no protection whatsoever. He seemed to constantly be getting tugged back or kicked and somehow the ref never spotted it. All genuine 50/50s seemed to be given as free-kicks to Chelsea and most fouls on our players were deemed 50/50s and not worthy of punishment.

Solanke looked bright when he came on, I’ll bet tired defenders won’t fancy us bringing him on as an impact sub. He must break his duck soon, surely ?

Billing was a bit disappointing, always half a yard too slow and his passes were rushed. Did do some resolute defending when required though, so he gets a pass overall.

Ramsdale solid once again, hardly rates a mention these days, we just expect it. Feel much more confident defending a narrow lead with him in goal, compared to with Begovic in the past.

A fantastic performance overall against a Chelsea side who didn’t play badly at all. Just the confidence boost we needed. Now we really must beat Burnley at our place. If we do, I fancy us to go on a bit of a run with this makeshift team of ours.

:toot::utc:

Last edited:

;