Chris and Willo

Well, you can’t really blame Chris for struggling to recognise some of the obscure players in sides in the relegation places in the Championship, can you?

That was funny. I was thinking "Blimey, Rooney's lost weight". Some might complain that they pay to watch commentary so those commentating should be able to see! But, I agree. A bit of comedy value is helpful when your team isn't doing much:)

Well, you can’t really blame Chris for struggling to recognise some of the obscure players in sides in the relegation places in the Championship, can you?

What amused me was that Kris spent lots of time during the QPR match moaning about how impossible it was to read the small red numbers on the back of blue and white hooped shirts. Then he can't read big black numbers on the back of plain white shirts.

During one of our recent games, think against Birmingham, Kris and Willo were talking about Tristan da Cunha, can’t remember in what context now, could be one of the players was from there.

At the back of my memory that name rang a bell and this is why.

What reminded me today was another story at the end of this post on Sky News website. Put it on this thread, but it could also be a candidate for the Good News thread.

Fifty years ago a village in Hampshire forged an unlikely link with one of the most isolated communities on earth.

In October 1961 the isolation of the few hundred residents of Tristan da Cunha in the south Atlantic was shattered when the volcano which dominates the island threatened to erupt.

As citizens of the British Overseas Territory of St Helena, they were evacuated to England and ended up living at the former RAF flying boats base at Calshot on the shores of Southampton Water.

Tristan da Cunha islanders remember life at Calshot

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-15002723

The waters around a remote British overseas territory in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean are to become one of the biggest marine sanctuaries in the world.

The government of Tristan da Cunha has declared a 687,000 square kilometre (265,000 square mile) marine protection zone in its waters - three times the size of the UK.

The new reserve will act as a no-take zone, meaning that fishing and other harmful activities will be banned, in an effort to protect the wildlife found on, and around, the chain of islands, including albatross, penguins, whales, sharks and seals.

https://news.sky.com/story/tristan-...-worlds-most-remote-inhabited-island-12130923

Tbh I think Kris is getting a bit too much like the mainstream commentators and spending too much time during a match waffling about stuff like Tristan De Cuhna at the expense of what is actually happening on the pitch. If you're watching the livestream you can see he's missing lots of things that're important and if you're just listening on the radio you're not really aware of what's happening until the ball gets within about 10 feet of a penalty area. Imo Willo sounds a bit embarrassed or impatient at times with his failure to focus on the actual football. There's lots of time in an average game when he can go off topic but there are now too many occasions like in a recent game when there was a great buildup and shot on goal whilst he was still reading out the team sheet because he'd spent the time when he should've been doing that talking about something else.

There's lots of time in an average game when he can go off topic but there are now too many occasions like in a recent game when there was a great buildup and shot on goal whilst he was still reading out the team sheet because he'd spent the time when he should've been doing that talking about something else.
Well yes, he had to fit those shoutouts *shudder* in there somewhere didn't he ?
:slap:

You'd have to wonder why they bother going to games tbh.....i don't know if they have to sit further away from the pitch in these times but they don't seem to be able to see anything.......if they sat in a warm office watching a stream they'd be able to tell why the Sheffield Wednesday player was sent off or that 'wonderful' though ball came off the boot of Stan rather than Lerma......really don't see the point of it if they can't see as much as us.......i prefer to listen to a neutral commentary anyway tbh.

really don't see the point of it if they can't see as much as us.
It has become evident that we are actually getting a better view of the game than they are but we are of course using afcb.live. Maybe they should give Willo an iPad and a Season Pass for afcb.live just to help them out.

Don't forget though that they are actually doing a radio broadcast, we are just fortunate that it is being synched to the video we are receiving. So although they might not be seeing as much as we do on afcb.live they are certainly seeing a darn sight more than your average Radio Solent listener is. ;)

In the PL journalists had screens at their seats which showed the game so they had the best of both worlds.

In the EFL they wont get that live game on the TV screen

It has become evident that we are actually getting a better view of the game than they are but we are of course using afcb.live. Maybe they should give Willo an iPad and a Season Pass for afcb.live just to help them out.

Don't forget though that they are actually doing a radio broadcast, we are just fortunate that it is being synched to the video we are receiving. So although they might not be seeing as much as we do on afcb.live they are certainly seeing a darn sight more than your average Radio Solent listener is. ;)
Maybe thats how they've been getting away with it for so long!.......it's quite apparent that what they are reporting to the average Radio Solent listener is quite often completely inaccurate!......

Tbh I think Kris is getting a bit too much like the mainstream commentators and spending too much time during a match waffling about stuff like Tristan De Cuhna at the expense of what is actually happening on the pitch. If you're watching the livestream you can see he's missing lots of things that're important and if you're just listening on the radio you're not really aware of what's happening until the ball gets within about 10 feet of a penalty area. Imo Willo sounds a bit embarrassed or impatient at times with his failure to focus on the actual football. There's lots of time in an average game when he can go off topic but there are now too many occasions like in a recent game when there was a great buildup and shot on goal whilst he was still reading out the team sheet because he'd spent the time when he should've been doing that talking about something else.
Absolutely this! Kris spends the majority of the game waffling on about the colour of the players kits and boots ect sometimes I think I’m listening to Gok Wan attempting to commentate on a football match. Says a lot when Willo is probably the more coherent of the two.

So you get a better view of the game at home on tv rather than in the football stadium?

So everyone will be staying at home when grounds reopen then? Of course not.

You might get a better view and a replay of incidents because of multiple angles, but you cannot get a proper view of patterns of play, team shape, off the ball movement etc by watching on tv.

So you get a better view of the game at home on tv rather than in the football stadium?

You might get a better view and a replay of incidents because of multiple angles, but you cannot get a proper view of patterns of play, team shape, off the ball movement etc by watching on tv.
How is any of that relevant when when we're discussing Chris and Willo's commentary?.......have i missed the section of the games where they discuss patterns of play....team shape and off the ball movement?

That's very true to a large extent but it also depends where you're sitting, don't you think? Having said that, the two things are very different, a bit like going to the theatre and watching a dvd. Or watching a comedy at the cinema with an audience compared to watching it by yourself at home. The atmosphere the crowd provides makes it a completely different experience.

Maybe you should start a new thread on the subject?

That's very true to a large extent but it also depends where you're sitting, don't you think? Having said that, the two things are very different, a bit like going to the theatre and watching a dvd. Or watching a comedy at the cinema with an audience compared to watching it by yourself at home. The atmosphere the crowd provides makes it a completely different experience.

Maybe you should start a new thread on the subject?

I was being deliberately obtuse to be honest. If you’re over behind the corner flag or in the front few rows, no you won’t be analysing much from there.

But to say they’d be better off commentating over the top of a stream rather than being at the game? I’ve watched plenty of games which have been given that kind of coverage, usually the foreign football and its awful.

Personally I like Kris and Willo and have enjoyed “going back” to just listening to the radio and watching the goals go in on sky sports news.

Obviously the full sky experience is better for those games, but I’ve enjoyed the mix of the two this season.

Obviously the full sky experience is better for those games, but I’ve enjoyed the mix of the two this season.
The red button games on Sky however are beyond dreadful. No replays and the picture quality is so poor I was having trouble telling the difference between Junior Stanislas and Lewis Cook

The red button games on Sky however are beyond dreadful. No replays and the picture quality is so poor I was having trouble telling the difference between Junior Stanislas and Lewis Cook

Ive enjoyed that as well! It’s full HD on Sky Q, permanent wide angle, it’s probably a closer match to being there as you can get

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but on a few occasions Kris has said they are watching the game in the opposite stand to which the TV cameras are.....have noticed on a couple of occasions where they have missed things totally, until they have seen a replay.

;