Chris Mepham

kirsikka

UTC Legend
Despite claims from some quarters that there was no money for a signing in January and that any talk of a player was nothing more than gossip, Mepham has confirmed unequivocally that we bid a large sum for him in January.

=====
...he has made such an impression this season that in January Bournemouth had a bid of £6.5m plus add-ons rejected for a 20-year-old with only 14 appearances to his name.

"I still can't believe that sort of money was put on the table," says Mepham, who is expected to make his Wales debut against China on Thursday. "I remember the day before deadline day I was having an afternoon nap and my dad came upstairs and with a smile on his face said: 'Your agent is on the phone.' When he told me what Bournemouth had offered, I couldn't believe it. I'd only made eight league starts. It was so surreal. I just didn't think that moment would ever come, especially five years ago."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/21/chris-mepham-ryan-giggs-brentford-premier-league-wales
======

I wonder if we'll try again in the summer?

If true it also shows how Eddie likes to keep any business firmly under wraps and is often successful in doing so. Completely under Skys radar.

Not sure about it being under the radar...

http://www.bournemouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=519194

http://www.bournemouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=519968

There had been all sorts of names bandied about who Eddie might bring in January.

So another young player just like Lewis Cook who we signed from Leeds is the sort of player Eddie is after from a lower league.

Harry Arter was another 20-year-old Eddie brought in from Woking.

Amongst others Callum Wilson, Josh King and Ryan Fraser.

Nathan Ake our record signing was only 22-years-old when he came to us on loan and then Eddie made it permanent last Summer.

Eddie also signs experience players, like our number one keeper and Jermain Defoe.

so looks like Eddie has gone back to get his man .
does anyone know what he's like ?
knowing Eddie he will turn out to be a great player and he's a good age too .

He is good but not 10 million good and definitely not bid of 10 million rejected good.
Time to look elsewhere IMO

...aaah the price of being in The PL, everytime we make a bid for a player it gets inflated...10 mill sounds about right for a basically unproven player who has to be groomed for the top flight...perhaps we can sort a swap deal and include one of our 'fringe players'?

when you think back to arsenal paying 2m for rob holding, liverpool paying 3.5m for joe gomez and everton paying barnsley an initial 1m for mason holgate, anything north of 10m for mepham - international cap of not - is pretty huge for a kid of 20/21

Exactly that. The market inflation seeimgly never stops. Look at the number of players where the top six are being quoted £60 million and north now compared to two years ago.

They're talking about £30 million plus for Grealish and compare that with Ibe.

Look at what we paid for Cook. If that move was happening this summer I'd hazard a guess it would be a £15-£20 million transfer.

That isn't to say there aren't good deals available but there's would be a lot more implied risk with one of those and so they may be seen as more likely to fail.

Since we've been in for him in January and again now I'm going to take a guess that he's our main target so I can see us making another bid. However, I can also see us moving on to target two after that since there are limits and it does sound like we've also turned our eyes overseas this window.

I hope he comes but if Brentford want to hang on for the mythical pot of gold at the end of the rainbow good luck to them. That's their decision. A poor season and his value could plummet but they know the player inside out so would likely back him not to have a poor season.

;