Chris Mepham

Gibson has played for England. He stayed at Boro out of loyalty to his uncle and the club. He has been outstanding for them, including in the Premier League where their defensive record was very good. He gave them a year to get back up and now has left for a Premier League club.

Not sure how he hasn’t fulfilled his potential?

Gibson's fee and wages would certainly have been in our budget. Either he indicated very early he wasnt interested in moving this far south, or more likely, Eddie simply didn't fancy him as a player. Another left sided CB too I believe.

Instead of this "lets move on" attitude evertime a transfer looks complex, I'd much rather we got our first choice targets than leftovers.

Gibson's fee and wages would certainly have been in our budget. Either he indicated very early he wasnt interested in moving this far south, or more likely, Eddie simply didn't fancy him as a player. Another left sided CB too I believe.

Instead of this "lets move on" attitude evertime a transfer looks complex, I'd much rather we got our first choice targets than leftovers.

Agree, If Eddie wants him, and thinks he will improve him, then lets just stump up the cash and get him training with the lads ASAP.

...anyway why are we talking about GIbson?...Howe quite obviously didn't fancy him that much....but seems very keen on the lad Mepham?

I brought Gibson up. It wasn’t actually because I thought we should have signed him... only one opinion matters on that. It was to say that Mepham should be worth less than Gibson. Using it as relative value. If a full England international proven at PL level is 15m then what price Mepham...10m surely.

I guess the saying goes, 'He's worth what someone is willing to pay for him'...

Brentford clearly don't want to sell him, and I don't see any sudden transfer requests coming in... So if they slap a stupid price tag on his head, over and above what his value is, and we come up to it... Then I guess, that is what he was worth to Eddie...

Leicester have bid £15 million and it's been rejected.
I would hazzard a guess that Brentford's greed will see a no sale.

How much do they want FFS?

Last time I looked at their forum their fans seemed to think it would take a deal *starting* at £20 million. So £20 million plus appearance/performance incentives plus a hefty sell on clause.

Not sure how true that is but as long as the player isn't unhappy at the bids being turned down they're in a strong position. Should he decide he wants to make the PL step now, be it to us or Leicester, then things could change quickly.

I'd like us to push the boat out to get him; Sure, we may end up paying the same as for Ake, but he was a bargain to be honest, and price inflation means come the next transfer windows we would be looking at more. Plus, we'll do well to keep hold of Ake in the next transfer windows and some succession planning would be good. Mepham wouldn't be on mega wages either, unlike, I suspect Gibson.

Stump up what they re asking for, but they're seemingly getting greedy now... Ake cost us around that and had played a season for Watford in the PL, and had Chelsea pedigree, and was breaking into the national side... Happy for us to go to £15m for this lad, which is what they said they wanted, but no more... BFC are in too strong a position... Walk away and try again at Xmas...

Maybe the player would enjoy a lunchtime chat with EH which might get us a discount.

Just hope he doesn't mention our planned vast new stadium

:throw:

;