Covid & Football

Steve Cook did say he couldn’t recieve the treatment he needed because of covid restrictions. The whole thing is a mess isn’t it. I will never understand this desperate desire to get this fixed. Say player 1 gives it to player 2 unknowingly who gives it to his wife who visits her dad. Why are we doing this when we don’t have to?
Money, as New Forest Cherry said.

There are two simple ways out of the mess. One, the players say that they will play even though there is a risk; two, the players say they will not play because of the risk and they will take a pro-rata cut in salary.

The reason this drags on and on and on is because option three, that the players do not play but carry on getting paid in full, hasn't been removed from the table.

Money, as New Forest Cherry said.

There are two simple ways out of the mess. One, the players say that they will play even though there is a risk; two, the players say they will not play because of the risk and they will take a pro-rata cut in salary.

The reason this drags on and on and on is because option three, that the players do not play but carry on getting paid in full, hasn't been removed from the table.
It's not really that simple though, because with option 2, (I presume you mean all players and the season is cancelled?), we then get the previous 111 pages of this thread of whether you relegate, or don't, PPG, current positions etc etc.

How the hell can a team prepare for matches knowing that at any moment your players could be banned from playing because of a test result. This whole thing gets more ridiculous by the day.
As we get nearer to ko day the teams will have to train as a whole unit to practise marking drills, set pieces, tactics against certain opposition etc. what happens if a player having taken part in those drills then fails a test - the whole team isolate ???
Not ideal but there is any number of things that can happen to a player right before a match. One time Surman pulled something in the warm-up and Eddie had to make a last-second change. With respect to having players available, COVID-19 is another potential injury/illness.
There's never been a guarantee that the players you train with during the week will all be able to play.

Not ideal but there is any number of things that can happen to a player right before a match. One time Surman pulled something in the warm-up and Eddie had to make a last-second change. With respect to having players available, COVID-19 is another potential injury/illness.
There's never been a guarantee that the players you train with during the week will all be able to play.

Except possibly a few orders of magnitude higher in likelihood to happen.

I don't think this is your argument but there are guarantees that come with the league, like start and stop times, squad size and declaration periods, transfer windows, match conditions, I could go on. I think the frustration is yet a other facor that undermines the integrity of the league compounded on top

Last edited:
But its not the same, if you get injured your team mates don't have to self isolate because they have been in contact with you.

Football is is now like a dead fish floating in Poole Harbour...
....Fans in Germany have gone fishing...well..they are not in the effing stadiums are they ?
Haha....the whole idea of a re-start to 19-20 is a Staffing Lock.

If anyone is interested this was in the Times as to this week's plan for "Project re-start:

Copied from another site:

- PL will not require players to be quarantined in a hotel before games resume

- Games expected to restart on 19 June "or more likely 26 June"

- Vote this Wednesday re whether to resume contact training

- Further meeting this Thursday to discuss:

1) Exact date for restart
2) TV scheduling
3) Procedure to decide outcome of league if season curtailed

- Issue of whether relegation should be scrapped expected to be raised "but it looks unlikely to win widespread support"

If anyone is interested this was in the Times as to this week's plan for "Project re-start:

Copied from another site:

- PL will not require players to be quarantined in a hotel before games resume

- Games expected to restart on 19 June "or more likely 26 June"

- Vote this Wednesday re whether to resume contact training

- Further meeting this Thursday to discuss:

1) Exact date for restart
2) TV scheduling
3) Procedure to decide outcome of league if season curtailed

- Issue of whether relegation should be scrapped expected to be raised "but it looks unlikely to win widespread support"

Thanks for posting. The first point i hadn’t even thought about -hotels are all shut so how does that work with long away games where we usually fly up the day before?

interesting week ahead it seems

Thanks for posting. The first point i hadn’t even thought about -hotels are all shut so how does that work with long away games where we usually fly up the day before?

interesting week ahead it seems
Makes you wonder why teams don’t just travel the day of....schedule all games at 3pm or later. Seems a simple solution no?

The Women's Super League and Championship have been ended. I saw a tweet suggesting the reason is clubs not having the money for the required testing.

They'll now have to make a decision on promotion and relegation issues. Divisions below the Championship have already been null and voided.

But its not the same, if you get injured your team mates don't have to self isolate because they have been in contact with you.
Obviously there are big differences.
I was just reacting to the argument that resuming isn't fair because managers may have to make last-minute changes to the squad, which is not the strongest argument against restarting.

;