Covid & Football

Change some of the names and places and you have summed up Canada very nicely as well. And just wait ..... even if this virus is pretty much under control by the summer, the "medical experts" will be postulating the same fear-mongering next winter .... mask everyone up and keep them at home, and there will be no flu. More lives will be saved!! Everyone gets to live longer .... stuck in their homes.
Saw a few clips of Trudeau the other day saying vaccines are not the answer and the UK is ready to have a catastrophic 3rd wave soon. How is his (un) popularity going - he seems clueless to me.

I'm wondering how long it will be before I can go to an away match. I have a horrible feeling it won't be until the season after next.

C**nting virus.

Let's not forget that the football clubs themselves are hurting too. Another season behind closed doors is going to change the football league beyond recognition. As soon as the Premier League is impacted we'll see some pressure put on the right people.

Non attending attendance socially distanced of course for first weekend of next season?Worse case scenario .All 92 league clubs involved.

Saw a few clips of Trudeau the other day saying vaccines are not the answer and the UK is ready to have a catastrophic 3rd wave soon. How is his (un) popularity going - he seems clueless to me.

I have detested the guy since day 1 .... while his father, Pierre Elliott Trudeau was an excellent PM for his time. While PET was strong, JT is a weak-kneed choirboy. Both Trump and now Biden are wiping the floor with him, and he has done nothing to repatriate two Canadian journalists who have been held in China for more than 2 years.

The problem is that the opposition is equally weak. No one seems to want to challenge him on COVID-related issues .... it's almost as if the topic is taboo. In Canada, we have a Quebec-based party that carries a big chunk of the seats in that province, and the other three main parties fight over the rest of the country. An election is expected this year or early 2022, and I can see Trudeau getting re-elected, with another minority govt. The Liberals have skated on a number of issues, because the other parties do not want to bring a non-confidence vote, and cause an election, in the middle of this mess.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-trudeau-approval-1.5929673

I have detested the guy since day 1 .... while his father, Pierre Elliott Trudeau was an excellent PM for his time. While PET was strong, JT is a weak-kneed choirboy. Both Trump and now Biden are wiping the floor with him, and he has done nothing to repatriate two Canadian journalists who have been held in China for more than 2 years.

The problem is that the opposition is equally weak. No one seems to want to challenge him on COVID-related issues .... it's almost as if the topic is taboo. In Canada, we have a Quebec-based party that carries a big chunk of the seats in that province, and the other three main parties fight over the rest of the country. An election is expected this year or early 2022, and I can see Trudeau getting re-elected, with another minority govt. The Liberals have skated on a number of issues, because the other parties do not want to bring a non-confidence vote, and cause an election, in the middle of this mess.

Thanks for that TJ, sort of confirmed my thoughts. Been to Canada many times and always thought how Quebec centric the country was, particularly in view the sheer size of the whole place !!!
Was due to be heading to Vancouver in June but can't see any chance of that happening.
Hope things improve out there, we seem to have a few glimmers of hope over here.

Grew up in Montreal, as an anglo, so understand your comment. Quebec is so culturally different from the rest of Canada and has its own very distinct objectives and behaviour. It really is/was quite interesting, but the "two solitudes" remain to this day, and I doubt that that will ever change.

As with so many others on here, if you are planning a trip to Canada and need some "hints" or are in this part of the world, please do let me know ..... acknowledging that Vancouver is a long long way from Toronto!

2 comments re the cautious approach

First it’s like the motorway speed limit: set it at 70 and a lot of people cruise at nearer 80 but raise to 80 and the same folk go up to newer 90. Already see lots of people flouting social distancing and not taking care so relax further and more exposure happens.

Secondly big cluster of South African variant in London this week. Need some caution re these variants as they can rip through communities like the kent version at Christmas.

Plenty to criticise boris for the pandemic but damned if he is too cautious and damned if too liberal by appearing not to value lives. Thankless task.

I'm hoping as much as anyone to go to Wembley. But . . . .

Just look across the channel at Belgium and France, where restrictions have been tightening. It doesn't take much for everything to start going wrong again.

The South African variant looks like spreading beyond the initial geographical areas. The new Indian variant looks even more virulent. (There were fans at the first 2 of the recent test matches there - that didn't last).

Now that numbers are down to what can be identified individually, what we need is PROPER test and tracing, and PROPER management of travellers.

In the meantime, you CAN do puzzles with 5 other people, outside in the cold ;)

Seeing as you were a Trump supporter, your stance on Trudeau surprises me....

/sarcasm

Interesting that they're letting 300 fans attend the snooker world championships this week and hope to fill the crucible for the final!

To say that the governments approach to this is cautious is putting it politely.But l do not understand how they can allow minimum attendances of home fans back in the autumn when the country was split into tiers and there was no vaccine and now no fans when the virus has virtually been eradicated.
There are test events l hear people saying as they read this post.4000 non fans for the Saints FA Cup semi final.What is that going to achieve?2000 Man City fans and 2000 Spurs for the Caribo cup final.Vague empty promises about the cup final and the playoffs.Woe betide as yet another mutant is found. At this point in time l can not see crowds of any significance at the Euro finals games being held here.It's too dangerous l hear the experts whisper sibilantly into Boris's ear.Keep them locked up for a bit longer! And the Championship playoff final is witnessed by one man and his dog that have stumbled through the non socially distanced security cordon around Wembley.
"Next season will be back to normal"
l sincerely hope it will be once the country has been fully vacinated. Not watching the Cherries play live for the last year has left a huge hole in my life.But unless the mindset of those in charge of the country changes l have huge misgivings that we will never have normal again.Power and control in the wrong hands are a powerful aphrodisiac.
SOMEBODY TELL ME I AM WRONG!
You are wrong, the virus has not “virtually been eradicated”, it is still as prevalent and as virulent. All that has changed is the increasing ability to protect people by way of a vaccine albeit this is inconsistent globally.

You are wrong, the virus has not “virtually been eradicated”, it is still as prevalent and as virulent. All that has changed is the increasing ability to protect people by way of a vaccine albeit this is inconsistent globally.
l was referring to this country afcb_rednblack.l don't buy Boris's stance that the huge reduction in new cases and deaths is purely down to the lockdown. Personally l feel that the curtailment on our lives and liberties has way gone past it's sell by date.

l was referring to this country afcb_rednblack.l don't buy Boris's stance that the huge reduction in new cases and deaths is purely down to the lockdown. Personally l feel that the curtailment on our lives and liberties has way gone past it's sell by date.
...but Covid hasn't been eradicated from the UK, which was your point. It is merely being managed by a vaccine. Covid, as with flu, will likely be with us for decades. As for lockdown, this has very little to do with Boris's stance, it's the data and scientists that are driving what needs to be done.

;