Diego Rico

This all day long,i said to my lad if we arent playing a back five we should play him as an out and out winger,as he looks good going forward but poor as a defender.

I reckon he could stop your right winger (and you righ t full back) frmo scoring, just my guess

We signed a wing back and then converted him to a left back at the same time as we changed system to pin the full backs back and play on the break.

Just like we signed Ibe,Iturbe and Gradel as front three players but then asked them to be wide midfielders. We signed Defoe, Tomlin and Murray but wanted them to be part of a mobile front two that stretched defences around.

The issues are always the same. Transfer team don’t have strategy and coaches only understand 4-4-2. Best off signing players that do well in a 4-4-2 then, if you can find anyone outside of League one still playing it....

This all day long,i said to my lad if we arent playing a back five we should play him as an out and out winger,as he looks good going forward but poor as a defender.

I've seen games where he has defended very well. The main weakness I've seen is his positioning, which also leads to him conceding too many fouls. He has also had good and poor games going forward where sometimes he plays with his head down. For me that is psychological and therefore coachable, and it may also be something a run of games would sort.

For perspective, looking at minutes/ games played his defensive stats are fairly similar to Daniels

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/323352/Show/Diego-Rico
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/24827/Show/Charlie-Daniels

I'd keep him on board for another season I think. For me, he doesn't work at all as a LB, but has some moments at WB as long as the left sided CB is confident. He's got a great cross on him, and with Callum's movement in the box it could be a real asset if he can get a bit of form. If in another season he still hasn't settled, I still can't see his price dropping dramatically enough for it to be an issue getting rid of him for somewhere around cost.

I'd keep him on board for another season I think. For me, he doesn't work at all as a LB, but has some moments at WB as long as the left sided CB is confident. He's got a great cross on him, and with Callum's movement in the box it could be a real asset if he can get a bit of form. If in another season he still hasn't settled, I still can't see his price dropping dramatically enough for it to be an issue getting rid of him for somewhere around cost.

Sounds a lot like how I would've described Simon Francis after his first year with us. In fact if I'm honest I still think Francis has the best delivery at the club

...not sure about the 'best' delivery I would say that Ryan is consistently the better...Franno,Smith and Daniels can all chuck in a decent ball but not as often as the wee man IMO

Fair points, I think of Fraser coming inside rather than crossing from the byline but that forgets him taking corners so it's definitely in his locker, moreso than a few seasons ago, I guess you kinda get sick into thinking something

We signed a wing back and then converted him to a left back at the same time as we changed system to pin the full backs back and play on the break.

Just like we signed Ibe,Iturbe and Gradel as front three players but then asked them to be wide midfielders. We signed Defoe, Tomlin and Murray but wanted them to be part of a mobile front two that stretched defences around.

The issues are always the same. Transfer team don’t have strategy and coaches only understand 4-4-2. Best off signing players that do well in a 4-4-2 then, if you can find anyone outside of League one still playing it....
FFS Neil is there nothing you wont blame on the system?.....:slap:.....I suppose Rico lumping the ball out of the stadium every time he goes to cross a ball with that 'wand' of a left foot of his or every 5 yard pass he inexplicably manages to knock 20 yrds past his team mate is down to the System......i should have known it would be tbf......:D

FFS Neil is there nothing you wont blame on the system?.....:slap:.....I suppose Rico lumping the ball out of the stadium every time he goes to cross a ball with that 'wand' of a left foot of his or every 5 yard pass he inexplicably manages to knock 20 yrds past his team mate is down to the System......i should have known it would be tbf......:D

Well if it’s not the system it looks like you are blaming it on the transfer team?;)

Well if it’s not the system it looks like you are blaming it on the transfer team?;)
Its all about blame? I thought you were into coaching?

Honestly, you'd think we were the worst team ever if we tallied your critical/praiseworthy comments. But then mine might suggest we were the best team ever!

Sounds a lot like how I would've described Simon Francis after his first year with us. In fact if I'm honest I still think Francis has the best delivery at the club
And this is exactly why I'm not a big believer in selling players after a single season if they haven't performed.

Charlie Daniels started out as a very attacking full back (was actually a left winger at Spurs, Leyton Orient converted him) most known for his delivery and set pieces, and had to learn the defensive side of the game. Sound familiar? Rico has the added challenges of the language, and the fact that he doesn't get many starts because we have other options (not a situation Daniels faced, always first choice from the start).

What counts against Rico is age, he's 26 rather than some fresh blooded 21 year old, and thus adapting might become harder?

If an offer came in that repaid us our outlay, I could understand the temptation to cash in and then look elsewhere, but I wouldn't want to cut any losses at this point.

;