Dominic Solanke

If we get an offer around the 40-50m mark I think we’d be silly not to take it, as long as we have a replacement lined up of course. Part of growing as a club is knowing when to cash in on your players and reinvest in replacements for less. I like Solanke but I’m not sure he will ever be prolific at this level and I’m not sure he is really what we need in this AI team.
Yet Iraola has done nothing but say how much he likes Dom and his incredible work rate... I agree about Dom's ability in front of goal at this level, but I think Iraola would want to keep him...

Personally I think Dom would do a better job in the No. 10 role, but then we'd need to spunk a wad on a new striker and not get any dosh in from Dom...

With just days to go before the deadline, I cannot see us losing our main front man. This sort of business needs to be done at the front of the window, not the end.

Who knows, with Semenyo hopefully beginning to show us what he's got, maybe some pressure can be taken off of Dom and we might see him player more relaxed... or even drop back a bit.

Last edited:
Fulham, West Ham and others have been looking for strikers, they are not easy to find and if they are it will need big money.

No thanks, if we are serious about staying in this league and keeping out of the relegation fight this season, we need players like Solanke.

Last edited:
Dom is effective at this level if not prolific and there are no strikers available that are any better than him.......also if the worst happens and we get relegated we have a player capable of 30+ goals in the Championship which would make it very difficult for us not to get promoted.....for that reason alone I wouldn't sell him.

I wouldn't sell Solanke until we have found a proven goal scorer that has settled in. Maybe in January?

January transfers usually achieve higher amounts.

Dom is effective at this level if not prolific and there are no strikers available that are any better than him.......also if the worst happens and we get relegated we have a player capable of 30+ goals in the Championship which would make it very difficult for us not to get promoted.....for that reason alone I wouldn't sell him.
I would say that if we were to be relegated again I don't believe that Solanke would want another season in the Championship and so, may ask to leave. The problem is every club is always looking for strikers and it is the most difficult berth to fill. Trying to replace Solanke could me a nightmare and expensive.

So many willing to dispense with a really good player because goal scorers grow on trees at this level, and as if that’s all he does.
I think the issue is Solanke has always divided opinion on here... Me personally, I think he is worth so much more to our team than just occupying the forward role... His work-rate, strength, and ability to bring other players into the game is top drawer... Definitely not someone I would be wanted to move on atm...

However, with his natural game seeing him get so involved in build up play it does detract from what we also need him to do and that is putting said ball in the back of said net... Hence a lot of teh uncertainty and negativity towards him... also, hence the Semenyo comment... Could he free up Dom to work on his game behind Semenyo... or as a duo up top...?

Regardless... A great player that we should be looking to nurture, not get rid of, and we also need to be aware that if Dom bagged 20 goals annually for us in the PL, then he wouldn't be here very long...

Last edited:
I was shocked when Clinton Morrison made a very interesting comment as the pundit on the commentary match for the radio at the weekend. Normally he is pretty inane and trying to be funny but isn't. However...

He was talking about Ollie Watkins and said he has an absolutely incredible worth ethic for the team. He'll do whatever the manager asks of him and won't stop running to get it done. Under Gerrard, this meant dropping deeper a lot more and trying to support the play, and he scored something like 2 goals in 13 games. Then Emery took over and told him to stop doing that and push hard against the defenders further up the pitch instead. Same player, same division, same team, but suddenly he scored a bucket load.

This is what I'm hoping will happen with Solanke. When we get a fit midfield and stop having to shuffle players around, AI will push Dom to be more of a striker and less of a team player. He'll still need to put in the hard yards as part of the high press, but he'll be doing less work further back.

As a new supporter of the team, I am surprised by the comments from many regarding Solanke.

He’s not perfect, but his quality stands out massively in this team.

If he was a bit stronger and had a tad more pace and Luis Suárez’s killer instinct, he would be worth £140M.

Because not much else separates him from the highest level IMO.

Three posts from a West Ham forum re Solanke, not sure they wan’t him.

35m on Solanke would be a terrible idea. Has 3 and 6 goals in his two PL seasons.

Just because he is tall and can bully our CBs for a game doesn't mean he can do it to the other 19 PL teams regularly.

We need pace and skill up top. And you could buy a far better football player for that money elsewhere.

I like Solanke, not sure if he is worth 35 million pounds, but who knows with prices etc.

Again, the guy was a brilliant youth player - he was sitting here for ages, why do we wait until they have doubled in value to purchase these players. It is lazy and dumb recruitment.

The worry for me re Solanke, is he is mobile, has good touch, can pass, is fast enough but is he a much more athletic version of Danny Ings - in that is he more suited to a passing style with players around him? He doesnt have that explosiveness of Antonio even if Mick does it for like 5 minutes a game these days.

Not even sure £45m would cut it this late in the season , Bill - but after much deliberation I can't think of anyone better that would suit this current set-up of ours....unless the plan all along is Toney - Brentford seem to be perfectly fine without him and may consider a £50m bid - we'd have competition though .

En Nesyri would be cheaper but possibly not as effective as the Bournemouth man .

Offer Bournemouth Danny Ings and £35m .

I was shocked when Clinton Morrison made a very interesting comment as the pundit on the commentary match for the radio at the weekend. Normally he is pretty inane and trying to be funny but isn't. However...

He was talking about Ollie Watkins and said he has an absolutely incredible worth ethic for the team. He'll do whatever the manager asks of him and won't stop running to get it done. Under Gerrard, this meant dropping deeper a lot more and trying to support the play, and he scored something like 2 goals in 13 games. Then Emery took over and told him to stop doing that and push hard against the defenders further up the pitch instead. Same player, same division, same team, but suddenly he scored a bucket load.

This is what I'm hoping will happen with Solanke. When we get a fit midfield and stop having to shuffle players around, AI will push Dom to be more of a striker and less of a team player. He'll still need to put in the hard yards as part of the high press, but he'll be doing less work further back.
That's what I'm hoping for several of the players; Solanke, Kelly, Semenyo, Traore, Anthony, even Cook. This team's got so much potential and although GON did a decent job avoiding relegation it never felt like he managed to improve any of the players. I'm hoping AI is going to do that.

I do get confused easily I know but Dom is worth £40million to West Ham, we get £36million after paying Liverpool. So we're going to replace a £40million player with someone cheaper that West Ham haven't heard of : )

As has been pointed out, how many forwards outside of the big 7 clubs had more goal involvement than Dom? How many of those players are playing at the same club now? How much stronger are any of those clubs that "cashed in" their assets? If you don't have to, it's near impossible to strengthen your forward line by selling your best forward, as the Premier League is now : )

I know we all agree we have an exceptionally talented recruitment team and CEO but even they'll be hard pressed to find better cheaper : )

Striker is the hardest position to find on the market and always will be. Yes Dom not been the best this season, but still important for us and I think will get it together. Our recruitment team have done a phenomenal job, and they know not enough time left in the window to find an adequate replacement.

Only way they even consider it imo is if a ridiculous offer comes in (Say 50 plus) and I don't see that happening.

without a ready made replacement lined up, we'd be absolutely crazy to entertain bids for Dom, unless its crazy money we are talking about (something WHU are not famous for paying!!)

Its so hard to find a quality striker and all teams will be looking to hold on to them close to the end of the window so the outlay would be large too, offsetting any gains we make.

Then its an extra person to try and quickly integrate and get up to speed......

;