Dominic Solanke

Best ever striker. Tec Mac the only player to score more in a season (maybe one of the really old timers has also done this) but he never did it at the level Dom did. If he can score more than King and become our top flight record breaker then who could argue that he's the best in an AFCB shirt?
In our modern era Solanke is certainly rivalling Wilson and King imo. Different types of player and Wilson was very unfortunate with us with 2 bad injuries yet he still scored plenty. 14 in the PL in the 18/19 season from 30 appearances was his best. Kings best was 16 I believe. I think Dom has a very good chance of beating that (particularly if the gods ever decide we can have a penalty or two).
As for the Ted Mac comparisons it was a different world back then but he did finish as 1st Divisions top goalscorer in 75/76 with 23 goals while with Norwich.

In our modern era Solanke is certainly rivalling Wilson and King imo. Different types of player and Wilson was very unfortunate with us with 2 bad injuries yet he still scored plenty. 14 in the PL in the 18/19 season from 30 appearances was his best. Kings best was 16 I believe. I think Dom has a very good chance of beating that (particularly if the gods ever decide we can have a penalty or two).
As for the Ted Mac comparisons it was a different world back then but he did finish as 1st Divisions top goalscorer in 75/76 with 23 goals while with Norwich.

It's an interesting theoretical question, especially comparing different levels of football across different eras. Any idea what Ted Mac's overall top flight and second flight record was?

And Phil Boyer was the top scorer in Div 1 in 79/80 also with 23 goals when playing for Saints. Ted was an out and out striker and scored more goals in total in their respective careers, whereas Phil was a better all round player in my view

That doesn't break it down by league. If this is right his top flight record was 50 goals in 125 appearances, which is obviously very good. Dom I think has 17 in 110 appearances, which tbf will be skewed by the number of sub appearances for Chelsea, Liverpool and AFCB pre relegation.

Interesting discussion with Glenn Murray here
and how he has been practising putting shots through defenders legs, just like he did against Villa.

P
Just as chillies have the Scofield scale and golf greens have the Stimp meter, I value strikers on the Richarlison-meter.

On that basis Dom is worth £75 million.

If I were him I wouldn't go near West Ham - a step 10 years back in tactics and a graveyard manager for strikers.
Pedant alert ; *Scoville.

It's an interesting theoretical question, especially comparing different levels of football across different eras. Any idea what Ted Mac's overall top flight and second flight record was?
He scored approx 40 for scummers in League 2 over 2 seasons before rejoining us. At Norwich he got 11 in 25 games the first year he was there in League 1 as well as the 23 when he was League 1 top scorer 2 years later. He scored 20 plus for Norwich in League 2 in the intervening promotion season. Overall he got 49 in League 1 in 122 games spread over Man U, WHU and Norwich.

Last edited:
He scored approx 40 for scummers in League 2 over 2 seasons before rejoining us. At Norwich he got 11 in 25 games the first year he was there in League 1 as well as the 23 when he was League 1 top scorer 2 years later. He scored 20 plus for Norwich in League 2 in the intervening promotion season. Overall he got 49 in League 1 in 122 games spread over Man U, WHU and Norwich.

Incredible record really. Still, if Dom somehow managed to get to 20 in the top flight he'd certainly have to be in the conversation as AFCBs best ever striker imo. Sounds pie in the sky that he might get that many but he's getting loads of decent chances every game now and is showing that he's a goalscorer.

Incredible record really. Still, if Dom somehow managed to get to 20 in the top flight he'd certainly have to be in the conversation as AFCBs best ever striker imo. Sounds pie in the sky that he might get that many but he's getting loads of decent chances every game now and is showing that he's a goalscorer.

Excellent record. But it's harder imo to be so prolific in the modern game.

Extremely unlikely they'd score near that many today.

Interesting that yesterday dom was less influential in build up than tav, semenyo, kluivert etc But had 4 decent near to goal chances created with 2 decent saves by Martinez. Suggests the extra attacking players now means he can stay more central and hunt for goals rather than as a lone striker.
I noticed that, too. In the majority of our attacks, Dom headed straight for the middle of the 6 yard box.

If he keeps this up and is on around 14-16 goals by the end of the season, I could see him squeaking into the Euro 24 squad ahead of Wilson and Toney. His hold up and linking play and work in the build up, whilst not quite at the level of Kane's, is just getting better and better and he's likely an option Southgate is aware of now.

If he keeps this up and is on around 14-16 goals by the end of the season, I could see him squeaking into the Euro 24 squad ahead of Wilson and Toney. His hold up and linking play and work in the build up, whilst not quite at the level of Kane's, is just getting better and better and he's likely an option Southgate is aware of now.

Toney will get 2 goals late season and Southgate will talk about "trust" and "never let us down" when he makes his pick..

Scoring at a pace of a goal every two games. If he stays healthy and we continue this style of play, it's conceivable he gets to 20. Spectacular form.

I honestly would have taken the £40m west ham were offering in the summer. Good job I'm not running the show. If he's bags 20 this season then how much would he be worth?

Week in, week out he gets praised by pundits and commentators for his all round game. He's added more composure in front of goal this season and is getting much, much better supply. I can see him getting 20 goals at this rate, which in the PL would be incredible. Wasn't Ivan Toney rated as a 100m player last season when he scored 20? He only scored 12 the season before.

I wonder if there is any point at which RTID will back down and admit he is wrong given he chose his hill to die on that Solanke is weak, rubbish in front of goal etc.

Also, didn't old Depair & Doom say only a couple of weeks ago that he'd sell Dom for 20m?!

;