Dominic Solanke

It was those 3 goals mousset scored in 3 seasons, that clearly made him stand out as a proven goalscorer

I argued for years with druss that Ibe had all the skills and would come good. I said Harry Arter didn't have the right attitude to achieve anything in the pro game after he stupidly got sent off. I thought that Tindall had managed to restore the players confidence after relegation and had steady the ship ready for a promotion charge. I thought Traore looked great and was convinced he would be great for us... I was not correct (so far on Traore). We've all been wrong loads if we've expressed an opinion. Not sure what the issue with holding your hands up is.

I argued for years with druss that Ibe had all the skills and would come good. I said Harry Arter didn't have the right attitude to achieve anything in the pro game after he stupidly got sent off. I thought that Tindall had managed to restore the players confidence after relegation and had steady the ship ready for a promotion charge. I thought Traore looked great and was convinced he would be great for us... I was not correct (so far on Traore). We've all been wrong loads if we've expressed an opinion. Not sure what the issue with holding your hands up is.
The whole argument is bizarre, they were both 3rd or 4th choice at the time, which means they were going to get a low number of minutes, so unlikely to influence table position.
To also claim mousset was a better goalscorer based on so few goals, is hardly conclusive stats.
To get £10m for mousset was unbelievable business, he did nothing for us, I'm sure also that eddie and Co saw his attitude issues, and were keen to get rid.
Just proves how sadly misguided our poster is

I guess it is how you define success when talking transfers. We are now in position to break our best PL points total, we have a striker that is worth a lot of money after a record breaking season. You have to say that right now, despite dropping a division after Solanke joined, we are probably in the best position we have ever been in terms of squad value and possible league place. Solanke was key to that, not only in getting us out of the Championship but getting us to where we are now.

Of course we don't know how Mousset would have worked out, but the Ibe vibe is hard to look beyond

I guess it is how you define success when talking transfers. We are now in position to break our best PL points total, we have a striker that is worth a lot of money after a record breaking season. You have to say that right now, despite dropping a division after Solanke joined, we are probably in the best position we have ever been in terms of squad value and possible league place. Solanke was key to that, not only in getting us out of the Championship but getting us to where we are now.

Yeah you can look at it that way but I prefer to see it as he cost us £300m.

Of course we don't know how Mousset would have worked out, but the Ibe vibe is hard to look beyond
I think we do know how Mousset would have worked out had we kept him. Much the same as he has. That wasn’t what was being talked about in 2019 though, it was why we had a bloke that had never scored for us missing loads of chances while people we let go were scoring.

That first paragraph, you'll never see it but it's quite damning of how you go after players. Dom, a rookie, cost us £300m. Such a negative way of looking at his signing. Some players take time to hit their mark, Adams may be another for different reasons but you will always take the negative angle for the sake of it.
You can keep lying to prop up your flaky points but Dom didn’t cost us anything. He wasn’t the one that decided to leave the bench goal threat to a man that had never scored for the club. He just got his head down and concentrated on becoming the player he is today. None of this is on Dom. you just ignore me saying that for your making dramatic point purposes.

Yes. He missed so many chances to get us points that season before scoring in the last three games. It’s hard to remember now he has finally clicked as a top flight striker that prior to this season his record was poor at this level and he was questioned by many fans as a top flight striker. In his first five seasons of top flight football he got 10 goals in 96 games.

He has a manager now that has worked with him and unlocked his potential which is fantastic and a joy to watch but it doesn’t rewrite history.
Rewriting history? I literally just gave a factual account of how many goals each player had scored.

All the players above also missed many chances for us, even Defoe.

Someone with 9 PL goals was more likely to score than someone with 1.
He had 3 when he left us, how does the 6 he scored after he left come into the equation. The decision was made based on his contribution when he played for us. We all agree was the right decision to sell, he was useless

Rewriting history? I literally just gave a factual account of how many goals each player had scored.

All the players above also missed many chances for us, even Defoe.
Yes but they’d also scored. At the time of the argument Nostalgia Del likes to bring up Dom hadn’t.

Yes Neil, Dom was obviously a poor signing "at the time" as he only had the one full England cap against Brazil to go with his many at different age levels including winning the golden boot when he scored 4 goals in the U-20 World Cup Finals. This when England, captained by a certain Lewis Cook, won it.

He had 3 when he left us, how does the 6 he scored after he left come into the equation. The decision was made based on his contribution when he played for us. We all agree was the right decision to sell, he was useless
He wasn’t useless. He scored the same amount of goals for Sheff U in the season we went down as Dom did last year for us. The relevance is we chose to rely on someone that had never scored for us to pick up his slack.

The decision to cash in may have been the right one, it was the decision to rely on Dom at that time that was being debated.

Yes Neil, Dom was obviously a poor signing "at the time" as he only had the one full England cap against Brazil to go with his many at different age levels including winning the golden boot when he scored 4 goals in the U-20 World Cup Finals. This when England, captained by a certain Lewis Cook, won it.
He scored 1 goal in his first 50 league games. He was a late developer but…. that wasn’t what we needed to rely on in 2019. Which was the debate…. In 2019.

Yes but they’d also scored. At the time of the argument Nostalgia Del likes to bring up Dom hadn’t.
Do you honestly think that if we kept Mousett then we would have survived? I could get on board with your argument if we were relying on Solanke as first choice but we weren’t, for example if we sell Solanke in the summer and then replace him with an unproven youngster and then get relegated then that would be a clear correlation. If we sell Kieffer Moore and replace him with a youngster and then get relegated, I think it will have little no bearing on the eventual outcome.

He scored 1 goal in his first 50 league games. He was a late developer but…. that wasn’t what we needed to rely on in 2019. Which was the debate…. In 2019.
In 2019 we needed our two proven forwards and star winger not to act like complete pr**ks and spend large portions of the season not giving a s**t. We also needed certain players to be available more often and we needed to be more ruthless in showing the door to loyal servants who were no longer capable of playing at the top level. We needed a lot of things, but a third choice striker to score more often was pretty far down on the list.

Yes. He missed so many chances to get us points that season before scoring in the last three games. It’s hard to remember now he has finally clicked as a top flight striker that prior to this season his record was poor at this level and he was questioned by many fans as a top flight striker. In his first five seasons of top flight football he got 10 goals in 96 games.

He has a manager now that has worked with him and unlocked his potential which is fantastic and a joy to watch but it doesn’t rewrite history.
I have to say your memory is so much better than mine as I struggle to recall those “so many chances” but I do recall him not being the main out and out striker playing in every game. Just shows what time can do to one’s memory.

Do you honestly think that if we kept Mousett then we would have survived? I could get on board with your argument if we were relying on Solanke as first choice but we weren’t, for example if we sell Solanke in the summer and then replace him with an unproven youngster and then get relegated then that would be a clear correlation. If we sell Kieffer Moore and replace him with a youngster and then get relegated, I think it will have little no bearing on the eventual outcome.
In 2019 we needed our two proven forwards and star winger not to act like complete pr**ks and spend large portions of the season not giving a s**t. We also needed certain players to be available more often and we needed to be
more ruthless in showing the door to loyal servants who were no longer capable of playing at the top level. We needed a lot of things, but a third choice striker to score more often was pretty far down on the list.

Good questions asked without hyperbole or personal agendas. Had we kept Mousset or Defoe or let them go (as there were clear reasons to release both) and signed an equivalent I think we may well have stayed up yes.

Its hard to remember now he is a scoring machine but back when Dom had never scored for us he looked abject in front of goal with that slow daisy cutter thing he had going on like Christie when the goal opened up for him. In his run of 30 odd games without scoring he missed so many key chances that other strikers would score. Bearing in mind we were relegated by a point it’s not unreasonable to suggest any striker that could score more than 0 would have given us that point.

Obviously there were other reasons we went down but at the time had each of these been solved that would also have kept us up.

I have to say your memory is so much better than mine as I struggle to recall those “so many chances” but I do recall him not being the main out and out striker playing in every game. Just shows what time can do to one’s memory.
He wasn’t the main striker. He was someone we brought on. But had never scored for us. We let others go that had. There’s nothing wrong with your memory for heavens sake.

That last sentence was clearly a reference to your user name….

Only because you brought it up. We lost two years in the premier league and 300m quid. So yes, while he has turned out well it was the wrong decision at the time as I believe just one of the chances he missed being scored makes a one point difference and either both the misfits were more likely to get that or they should have brought someone else in a instead. It was too big an ask for a 1 in 50 striker.

You are clinging to the best ever striker bit that happened four years later to give credence to the fact you were wrong at the actual time we were discussing this in 2019. Other than my four pile on fanboys people will see through this Del. We weren’t discussing Solanke in 2024 we were discussing staying up.
Is that £300M without minus the parachute payments we received? I thought £150M a season in the PL only went to those around the top but hey, I’m no accountant.

;