European Super League

Can you really imagine they the premier league will take any action against their top six money earners? It’s all bluff.

To make a case more relatable as well, AFCB would probably vote in favour of allowing them to go and stay in the domestic league. Without them and the money they bring, how would Max ever stand a chance of getting his money back?

The problem is what happens when they become full on reserve teams with different managers and squads just like a B team? What sort of draw would sponsorships and TV viewer counts have then?

What I find most galling about this announcement is the arrogant and entitled assumption that they can just start up an independent midweek league outside football's established structure yet still carry on as normal playing in their national leagues at the weekend.

A few angles:

I've been trying like F√ck. on this Forum to get it across that Football these days is a Crock of Sh*t...with all the Money aspects and interference from FOREIGNER's ( JPMorgan Bank)....
WE invented the Game of Football !

But don't listen to me....just learn the yankbuzz . you'll get wide-receivers - umpires - time outs....hot dog and popcorn tossers moving among the crowd during the game..oh yes Batman..
Gee Buddy ....see ya at the ' ballgame !
That is where its going y'all !

Anyway the Pandemic hasn't finished its decimation of events and crowds.

This is all Mickey Mousery ..in its 1st 10 years Real Madrid would win it 7 or 8 times..its their owners driving this circus into town ! Refs and VAR ' operators would be paid to ensure that !

How far can yo' take 22 geezers tapping the plastic around for 95 minutes?

R.Savage and his Radio Rodeo bods will be dancing in the studio with this....the prospect of Joshua Kingatario and Rona Fraserio ripping through the Real McDrid defence at the San Siro...

Hey...this is a natural progression( like the PL !!!)...Global stoof i'nt it.? Gary Neville, if still playing would have been Big for it. Big Big Manu and all that. As it is, he is involved with Salford ! Long and Winding Road Gaz..which end you start at bro ?

Super League without Cultuc and Rainjarrrhs?
Te f√ck jimma ! Tis nae braw McDuff !

What's gone and happened is....these Rich Owners got a rise in their pants seeing that Roving Device moving about on Mars!

Stick Wrexham and Shrewsbury's entire and rural populations into Wembley...get em p*ssed first...bring on their badboys...stick the Thing on the Telly....Bobs yer Uncle...Fanny's yer Mums Sister...the Nations of these Fair Isles will be riveted for 95 minutes ! 12 or 13 bottles of 'pop' and a truckload of cheese puffs from Co-op....you won't need no Super League..mooocho!

Following week..same format...but bring on Dundee v their United.....then Ipswich v Norwich...Xchurch v Parley....Frome v Martock.....Swanage v Wareham Rainjars...' Amwervey Rec v Amwervy Utd...Poole Park v Whitecliffe...and so on. Revolution!
Eleben good men in appropriately shod footwear...on green grass....keep it local and pitchforky !
Ye don't wanna be catching no Trains across no Plains of Spain to see a few step - overs !

And as for the next step....there aint no atmosphere ont' Mars !

What I find most galling about this announcement is the arrogant and entitled assumption that they can just start up an independent midweek league outside football's established structure yet still carry on as normal playing in their national leagues at the weekend.
Yes, particularly with the massive additional earnings in their pocket, making their position of strength in the domestic league even stronger. Gary Neville is spot on in saying that they can't walz back in from an ESL game with tens of millions just earned and expect to kick off on a Saturday against a team which does not have access to that additional income. It just skews things even more than they currently are. It has to be either or, not both. An interesting game of poker now !

This is a very tricky one. If the so called super league goes ahead and those clubs are banned from their domestic leagues the TV companies will immediately renegotiate the TV PL money downwards (or withold payments) by a substantial sum. the knock on impact on all clubs would be huge. Players would still be drawing "normal" salaries (at least until their contracts are renewed) and clubs would go bust. This needs some clear thinking and the TV companies need to brought onside with the PL.
Are the TV rights to the Super League going to be owned solely by say ManU TV, or Barcelona TV. If they are then Sky etc could rally behind the PL to safeguard their cash cow product.

This just confirms my feelings over recent years that the big clubs are purely businesses rather than football teams. Money is of more interest to them than fans or even how the game is played. The money they throw at buying players and keeping the poor dears enjoying a lifestyle most of us will only dream of is obscene.

This is a very tricky one.

Indeed. The announcement of the three-nations-we-couldn't-qualify-for-the-champions-league league could be just the gambit. There are so many possible twists and turns in this one.

I notice that the share price of a company called Juventus FC SpA are currently up 12% on the Milan exchange, while the futures of another Manchester United PLC are up 5% in New York. Both companies are massively in debt and, especially the former, need a quick fix.

The turncoat "sixtet" have left a lot of real fans looking elsewhere for a proper club. Best get your Bournemouth shirts now before the hoards turn to clubs like ours. Strange times indeed.

If the PL hold their nerve and eject the six this could actually prove to be very beneficial. A lot of fans of clubs outside the six threatening to form the ESL say how much more fun it is watching their team in the Championship because it is a more competetive league.
There are many outstanding players in the PL apart from those playing for the six, and without those clubs the PL would be increasingly competitive itself which could be a boost to the TV companies as there would be many more even and attractive games for them to broadcast between many of England's great old clubs, and those with a lesser history on the up. Two of the breakaway group are not even in the top six of the PL at present.
We enjoy the Championship because there are more games between teams of comparable quality on offer which are attributes that could easily transfer to a less polarised PL and make it a good buy for the TV companies, especially as the standard of players and play in the PL is generally higher than that in the Champ.

If the PL hold their nerve and eject the six this could actually prove to be very beneficial. A lot of fans of clubs outside the six threatening to form the ESL say how much more fun it is watching their team in the Championship because it is a more competetive league.
There are many outstanding players in the PL apart from those playing for the six, and without those clubs the PL would be increasingly competitive itself which could be a boost to the TV companies as there would be many more even and attractive games for them to broadcast between many of England's great old clubs, and those with a lesser history on the up. Two of the breakaway group are not even in the top six of the PL at present.
We enjoy the Championship because there are more games between teams of comparable quality on offer which are attributes that could easily transfer to a less polarised PL and make it a good buy for the TV companies, especially as the standard of players and play in the PL is generally higher than that in the Champ.
I was thinking last night how crap La Liga will be without the two Madrids and Barcelona. I really can't see many countries fighting for the TV rights of what will be left there.

The Premier League without the big six would still be very marketable in my opinion and has a decent chance of doing well without them.

But as I say, in other countries, Spain and Italy, France without PSG, there will be practically nothing left of the leagues worth watching.

This is a very tricky one. If the so called super league goes ahead and those clubs are banned from their domestic leagues the TV companies will immediately renegotiate the TV PL money downwards (or withold payments) by a substantial sum. the knock on impact on all clubs would be huge. Players would still be drawing "normal" salaries (at least until their contracts are renewed) and clubs would go bust. This needs some clear thinking and the TV companies need to brought onside with the PL.
Are the TV rights to the Super League going to be owned solely by say ManU TV, or Barcelona TV. If they are then Sky etc could rally behind the PL to safeguard their cash cow product.

Each club can negotiate the rights to 4 of their games or market them themselves on their own platforms.

Each club can negotiate the rights to 4 of their games or market them themselves on their own platforms.

So Madrid's away games would never be available as part of a standard subscription to Madrid fans all over the world... Nice.

While we have had some nice days out to visit Stamford Bridge and Anfield where we have often been competitive, has anyone enjoyed a trip to Arsenal, for example?

If we do ever get back to the Premier League, I wouldn't miss any of them.

I was thinking last night how crap La Liga will be without the two Madrids and Barcelona. I really can't see many countries fighting for the TV rights of what will be left there.

The Premier League without the big six would still be very marketable in my opinion and has a decent chance of doing well without them.

But as I say, in other countries, Spain and Italy, France without PSG, there will be practically nothing left of the leagues worth watching.

I'm not so sure. I think it would improve the leagues that only have 2/3 clubs that ever win anything. I certainly think the SPL would be better without Rangers and Celtic.

Might be time to combine the English and Scottish structures. Four Scottish teams in the PL, with a separate promotion/relegation system amongst themselves. Replace the little six with Celtic and Rangers, would strengthen the Scottish game and more than replace the antiseptic grounds, save Anfieid, that would be leaving us. Will miss beating Chelsea, though.

Not sure if this thread or the Brexit one is the right place but are there any EU legal experts out there? Might Article 101 of the EU Treaty that prohibits Cartels as anti-competitive come into play? Is it possible that 'Our friends in Europe' could ride to the rescue here?

I'm not so sure. I think it would improve the leagues that only have 2/3 clubs that ever win anything. I certainly think the SPL would be better without Rangers and Celtic.
Yes in that regard you might be right. I was thinking more in terms of absolute quality and tradition. I think the EPL would be in better shape than most leagues, should the "big" ( in their own minds ) six leave. We'd still have some big clubs left and over the years the "lesser" teams have been able to improve to the point where they could often beat the big boys. As top leagues go, ours has become pretty competitive. All I was thinking was that of all the leagues to be affected by this, the EPL is probably in the strongest position to play hardball ( and they should ! ).
I think they would still have a decent product should the big six be forced to leave.

Expect some fudged omnishambles of a compromise to be made though !

;