European Super League

Its not a Euro Super League if German and French clubs are not in it ! Or Holland and Belgium...It seems like a British and Mediterranean Alliance League...Feeble attempt at semi-global Elitism.

Last edited:
Its not a Euro Super League if German and French clubs are not in it ! Or Holland and Belgium...It seems like a British and Mediterreanian Alliance League...Feeble attempt at semi-global Elitism.
The elite clubs consider the Dutch and Belgian top flights as useful feeders, they'd want to keep that conveyor belt of talent where it is. Countless players have trodden that path due to the gulf in finance. No good levelling up Ajax and PSV, or Brugge and Liege, with the elite clubs who take their pick every few years. Same goes for Portugal.

The big omission is Germany’s Bayern and Dortmund, together with perhaps one or two more Spanish outfits. PSG? I'm sure room would be created if needs be.

Last edited:
Its not a Euro Super League if German and French clubs are not in it ! Or Holland and Belgium...It seems like a British and Mediterreanian Alliance League...Feeble attempt at semi-global Elitism.
Absolutely right ! Without the French and German clubs being involved their claim to being a European Super League will have absolutely zero credibility.
If the football associations in those two countries stand firm and refuse to allow their clubs to take part, I'm hoping that might be enough for the whole thing to come crashing down.
Surely the teams they are allegedly currently negotiating with have Bayern und PSG amongst them ? There must be good reasons why they haven't signed up already. I hope the French and German football associations take a hard stance on this and that could still save the day. Although in principle I'd like the big six to eff off I fear that they will end up being allowed to play in both leagues and I think that skews the EFL competition massively, so definitely should not be permitted ( but probably will be ! ).

Leeds fans must be suicidal..'mental health' with knobs on.....and some Cherries fans at the thought of Danjuma not playing for us in the PL v the ' top six' ( the Worlds greatest League ! ha ! ) F√ck me... this has got legs ...screaming , squirming Elitists ...Scousers bombarding the Radio stations - they are scared of change..of probably not being top dogs any more... Manu fans less so because they think they are ' by rights ' THE Worlds top club..and would win the damn thing most years..oh yes most of THEM will be Elated at this.... proposal. Bolton Wanderers are like dog sh*t on their shoes...cat sh*t even ...same with PNE....Blackburn and Burnley ...once their equals !

Last edited:
Hate to say it, but retaliation in some form of expulsion of these teams from the league will likely lead to a lot of teams going bust - including AFCB.

I have zero interest in watching teams play that I have no affiliation with unless my team has some kind of stake in the game. but this league is **NOT** for fans like us, its for all those other "markets"

Last edited:
Hate to say it, but retaliation in some form of expulsion of these teams from the league will likely lead to a lot of teams going bust - including AFCB.

I have zero interest in watching teams play that I have no affiliation with unless my team has some kind of stake in the game. but this league is for fans like us, its for all those other "markets"

Including them in the domestic game devalues the competition as well though. There’s no winners other than the 6 rebels.

When Spurs are playing Real Madrid on a Wednesday and Crystal Palace on the lunch time kick off on a Saturday, we’re likely to see mass rotation depending on where the real incentive (money) is.

When final league position in the Premier League is worth little to them, they’ll be basically fielding a B side.

Competition will be less enthralling, tv revenue and sponsorship will drop as will interest. It’s just a massive mess.

Including them in the domestic game devalues the competition as well though. There’s no winners other than the 6 rebels.

When Spurs are playing Real Madrid on a Wednesday and Crystal Palace on the lunch time kick off on a Saturday, we’re likely to see mass rotation depending on where the real incentive (money) is.

When final league position in the Premier League is worth little to them, they’ll be basically fielding a B side.

Competition will be less enthralling, tv revenue and sponsorship will drop as will interest. It’s just a massive mess.

It might sound dramatic, but I honestly believe it would lead to absolute B teams with different managers and squads as they currently have in Spain.

That will be a slow death, can you imagine what would happen if the Arsenal B team gets relegated. That's a lot of revenue to miss out on...I can't see any of this working to be honest

Also, I imagine the League Cup will be the first competition to be hit. a mid week competition that none of the top teams care about.

Glorified training sessions with no fans in the grounds should boost the viewing figures for mid week championship matches and get people back in watching live games.

Not sure if this thread or the Brexit one is the right place but are there any EU legal experts out there? Might Article 101 of the EU Treaty that prohibits Cartels as anti-competitive come into play? Is it possible that 'Our friends in Europe' could ride to the rescue here?
You probably know more about that than anyone else on here CP, and the President of Porto seems to think that it is a relevant consideration.

"PORTO REJECTED SUPER LEAGUE INVITATION

Porto president Pinto da Costa confirmed they rejected an invitation to join a breakaway European Super League as they "cannot participate in anything that is against the principles and rules of the EU and UEFA".

Reports last night claimed Porto could be one of the additional three Founding Clubs which are yet to be announced.

"There were informal contacts from some clubs, but we didn't pay much attention for two reasons. The first is that the European Union does not allow a closed circuit of events like in the NBA, for example.

"As the Portuguese Football Federation is against this, and as part of UEFA, we cannot participate in anything that is against the principles and rules of the European Union and UEFA.""

You probably know more about that than anyone else on here CP, and the President of Porto seems to think that it is a relevant consideration.

"PORTO REJECTED SUPER LEAGUE INVITATION

Porto president Pinto da Costa confirmed they rejected an invitation to join a breakaway European Super League as they "cannot participate in anything that is against the principles and rules of the EU and UEFA".

Reports last night claimed Porto could be one of the additional three Founding Clubs which are yet to be announced.

"There were informal contacts from some clubs, but we didn't pay much attention for two reasons. The first is that the European Union does not allow a closed circuit of events like in the NBA, for example.

"As the Portuguese Football Federation is against this, and as part of UEFA, we cannot participate in anything that is against the principles and rules of the European Union and UEFA.""

Surely EU competition law can't dictate that all sports leagues must have relegation. There would be a lot of sports caught up in that other than football. By extension you could say that not allowing Real Madrid to enter the Bundesliga is against EU competition law.

I'm sure someone has already said it, but what are the chances that at least some of the matches will be in the US, China, etc..

Putting the morals and traditions aside, this format of ESL is just a really bad business idea, by being so non-inclusive.

I will be the first to support an ESL if they go about it right. They need to take a leaf from T-20 in India. Create a dozen NEW teams that pick squads from the teams locally, a bit like international teams. A genuine franchise model that all the teams have an equal share of that doesn't the benefit the top teams only, limited games, but the best of the best. Also takes pressure of players to join a top team if they get selected.

Sometimes you need the worse possible idea to generate better alternatives.

At least Boris is dead against Euro Super League, so it'll take a lot of lobbying to change his stance ( but they have got deep pockets )
Didn't we have a decisive vote on leaving Europe 5 years ago, so unless it's called the English ( plus some chosen others ) Super Football Empire League, I'm not interested : )

The 'Afcb' mob..in charge of Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletics finances will be cock - a- hoop at the prospect of we becoming say, Chelsea's Super League feeder lapdogs...more money for their yachts and villas but bugger-all for a Stadium.

;