Ex players who were shyte.

What about Mark Watson a striker that we signed from West ham as part of a transfer deal involving one of our players. This is another who Mel Machin lost patience with. Then there was Jason Brissett who had plenty of ability with no end product.

Jason Brissett was top drawer for about 6 games a season. Look at the highlights from the Shrewsbury game in the great escape season where he had their right back on toast.

In terms of the question:
Roger Boli
Miles Addison
Jo Tessem

Reactions: rgb
Defoe isn’t fair imo, we didn’t play to his strengths at all. He could have easily scored double figures for us if we used him correctly, same as Glenn Murray, but Howe never did. Both players with a lot of qualities but just not a good fit, the only strikers who ever really thrived under Eddie were all rounders eg pace, power, channel runners, proficient at holding the ball up etc for those two it was our/Eddie’s fault for signing players that were never going to fit in here.
It was almost as though Eddie bought them in for his plan B but could never bring himself to resort to a plan B.

Jason Brissett was top drawer for about 6 games a season. Look at the highlights from the Shrewsbury game in the great escape season where he had their right back on toast.

In terms of the question:
Roger Boli
Miles Addison
Jo Tessem
I was in the room ( merely as a supporter whose Company had expressed a tentative interest in club sponsorship) when Trevor Watkins concluded the signing of Roger Boli with him and his agent. I remember being quite taken back by the £50k signing on fee that his agent negotiated which at the time was a huge amount of money for our club. That evening Boli was paraded in front of our fans as one of the best signings we had made. To be fair, at the time I think he had been a pretty prolific scorer for Walsall or somebody.

Nicholas Bignall - only a few appearances, but may was well have been "none"
Jordan Ibe - played football as well as he parked is car
Marcos Painter - played two games for us, and was so bad I suspected Jim had fixed it for him

Really?!

Dave lennard was a good old pro in a poor team while showers somehow scored 1 in 3 games for a benson side!

Before anyone mentions him too, lay off Dean Mooney!!
I think Derek has become a trigger for the misery of watching AFCB during that era!!

Wes Thomas was one of the first complete strikers we’d had during that time. If he was on “it” had everything, pace, strength and an eye for goal.

I remember in particular his performance away at Preston, think he only scored one, but it was special. 10 goals in 17 games during that spell.

I was in the room ( merely as a supporter whose Company had expressed a tentative interest in club sponsorship) when Trevor Watkins concluded the signing of Roger Boli with him and his agent. I remember being quite taken back by the £50k signing on fee that his agent negotiated which at the time was a huge amount of money for our club. That evening Boli was paraded in front of our fans as one of the best signings we had made. To be fair, at the time I think he had been a pretty prolific scorer for Walsall or somebody.

He joined us off the back of a pretty good season at Walsall: he'd made the PFA Team of the Year, scored a couple against us, and scored in a cup tie at Old Trafford. It was also only a few years after he'd won the Golden Boot in Ligue 1. He was objectively a huge coup for us at the time.

I think the key for me regardless of loan/purchase price it has to be the excitement at the deal happening so can't really say I was giddy for example by Moussett or Iturbe, the former fairly unknown and later famous because of FIFA.

The return of Defoe and complete lack of class demoted him from legend with a hard bump. Easily the top one for me.

After that probably Tubbs just because it felt like an amazing deal all round. He was doing great at a lower level, we needed firepower and he was a supporter of the club.

I think last one of the Dutch duo of Demouge or Davids just because they seemed to have great pedigree on paper.

Thomas, so good I couldn't remember his name : )
Wes Thomas was a strange one, an absolute handful and a goal machine on loan but the moment January came and he signed permanently he couldn’t hit a barn door from that point. Still a better player than Tubbs though, who was merely a BTEC version of James Hayter that we (the Mitchell boy) decided to pay 800k for!

Probably, given fees and expectation
1. Ibe
2. Rantie
3. Tubbs

Honourable mentions for Lorenzo Davids, Miles Addison, Iturbe, Brad Smith, Charlie Sheringham. Josh McQuoid the 2nd time (especially as we traded Scott Malone who I thought was decent for him).

I recall a funny occurence involving George Lawrence. It was an away game at Oxford. Our crowd was giving him verbal shite for over an hour. Then Lawrence lets fly and stuck it in the top corner. Our crowd suddenly rose up and sang - There is only one Georgie Lawrence, one Georgie Lawrence etc

I stood behind the gosl laughjng my head off.
It was one hell of a goal. Still remember it

Probably, given fees and expectation
1. Ibe
2. Rantie
3. Tubbs

Honourable mentions for Lorenzo Davids, Miles Addison, Iturbe, Brad Smith, Charlie Sheringham. Josh McQuoid the 2nd time (especially as we traded Scott Malone who I thought was decent for him).
Ooh Miles Addison. The oil tanker. There’s a player I’d forgotten

It was almost as though Eddie bought them in for his plan B but could never bring himself to resort to a plan B.
Eddie doesn’t do plan B, it’s his biggest weakness as a coach imo. It in large contributed to our relegation (there were obviously other factors) and you are seeing a lot of comments from Newcastle fans criticising him for this now. Once his plan A gets worked out he seems to struggle to come up with a solution.

It’s also got him where he is though, his strength of conviction in his methods. It can be a huge positive when things are going well, but when they begin to turn you worry for him.

Eddie doesn’t do plan B, it’s his biggest weakness as a coach imo. It in large contributed to our relegation (there were obviously other factors) and you are seeing a lot of comments from Newcastle fans criticising him for this now. Once his plan A gets worked out he seems to struggle to come up with a solution.

It’s also got him where he is though, his strength of conviction in his methods. It can be a huge positive when things are going well, but when they begin to turn you worry for him.
Correct. Howe, never had a plan B of which was his only fault. He continued to play the same way when it was glaringly obvious that a change of direction, shape and pattern was required for certain games and opposition.

How come we switched from an attacking to a counterattacking style under Eddie then?

;