Fire sale

Personally think it’s great we are giving some of the young lads like JZ, Surridge and Ofoborh a place. See how hard they work and how enthusiastic compared to some of the miserable shower that got us relegated.

Last edited:
Personally think it’s great we are giving some of the young lads like JZ, Surridge and Ofoborh a place. See how hard they work and how enthusiastic compared to some of the miserable shower that got us relegated.
I don't think we really have any other choice than to give them a shot.

It's not necessarily a bad thing at all, and they're doing well.

We've lost a few and it's good to get rid of the bad eggs like Wilson and Fraser.

Ake performed his way to a better salary, and deserved his move.

Ramsdale was almost too good an offer to refuse.

King you could argue has earned a move, but that hasn't yet eventuated, and if he doesn't want to be here then it's better he goes.

Brooks, you could also argue deserves not to play in the Championship.

So that leaves us with a few of the high earning oldies who we've cut, Francis and Surman.

Arter wanted out, so he's gone.

I think Billing and L Cook and possibly Lerma and Smith may think they're too good for this league.

So hopefully Max has recouped his 90 million debt and is willing to put another 10-15 on the table for some additions.

I really do worry about our depth if we don't make some additions, even if they are just loans.

To be fair, Derek Showers looked more dangerous than Wilson last season.

we should never..............
Whenever I think of Derek Showers, which admittedly is not often, I always think of the last game of the 81/82 season. Cant remember who it was, Hereford maybe, anyway it was televised for highlights, and we had plasters over our shirt sponsor, because they weren't allowed at the time. When he equalised, his plaster was falling off, never forget our tinpot roots :LOL:

If we had sold Oforborh to Wycombe last year, I would guess he would still be a regular this year for them. If we had sold Surridge to Swansea he would still be a regular there. Given they are just some of the depth we have (good enough for other teams starting XI), and they have peers of similar ability like Zemura, Anthony, Taylor, etc then I am less concerned about bringing anyone in.

It also seems like we might be flexible enough with different systems which also helps overcome injuries i.e. we can adapt to suit the best 11 players available rather than weaken the team if a position where we have least depth has a gap.

Finally Norwich comes at a good time for us to see how far we've come and is followed by time on the training ground during the international break with so few hopefully on duty. Plenty to be positive about.

If we had sold Oforborh to Wycombe last year, I would guess he would still be a regular this year for them. If we had sold Surridge to Swansea he would still be a regular there. Given they are just some of the depth we have (good enough for other teams starting XI), and they have peers of similar ability like Zemura, Anthony, Taylor, etc then I am less concerned about bringing anyone in.

It also seems like we might be flexible enough with different systems which also helps overcome injuries i.e. we can adapt to suit the best 11 players available rather than weaken the team if a position where we have least depth has a gap.

Finally Norwich comes at a good time for us to see how far we've come and is followed by time on the training ground during the international break with so few hopefully on duty. Plenty to be positive about.
You aren't concerned about bringing anyone in?

Simple question then.

If Solanke or Sturridge get injured (given King isn't getting picked) then who is our third out and and attacker.

Danjuma is an attacking midfielder so he doesn't count.

Simple question, and that only covers the attack.

Simple question then.

If Solanke or Sturridge get injured (given King isn't getting picked) then who is our third out and and attacker.

Simple answer

Fletch can get his boots back on:grinning:

If we want to play David Brooks regularly in the number 10 role with either Solanke or Surridge we need another option outwide.

As last season showed we cannot rely on just Stanislas and Danjuma. For all the quality they have Stanislas is always going to unfortunately have time on the sidelines and Danjuma struggled with injuries to both feet for the whole year so who knows if they’ll hold up.

We won’t have King to play outwide either, so then you’re looking at Adam Smith or Diego Rico in an advanced role which isn’t ideal if we want to chase the top 6.

Simple question then.

Don't we have a 17/18 year old in the youth team (Scrimshaw or something like that?) who is quite handy at scoring goals?

May be worth a go at sometime?

I don't think we really have any other choice than to give them a shot.

It's not necessarily a bad thing at all, and they're doing well.

We've lost a few and it's good to get rid of the bad eggs like Wilson and Fraser.

Ake performed his way to a better salary, and deserved his move.

Ramsdale was almost too good an offer to refuse.

King you could argue has earned a move, but that hasn't yet eventuated, and if he doesn't want to be here then it's better he goes.

Brooks, you could also argue deserves not to play in the Championship.

So that leaves us with a few of the high earning oldies who we've cut, Francis and Surman.

Arter wanted out, so he's gone.

I think Billing and L Cook and possibly Lerma and Smith may think they're too good for this league.

So hopefully Max has recouped his 90 million debt and is willing to put another 10-15 on the table for some additions.

I really do worry about our depth if we don't make some additions, even if they are just loans.

I am ok with the squad except at

1. CB if we are going to stick at 3 at the back every game. Not sure we need to at home but JT has shown some flexibility.
2. another winger for when we move away from 3 at back
3. Lose king, I would like another striker.

Simple question then.

Jaydon Anthony
?
THat may be hoping for a lot but who knows?

If we want to play David Brooks regularly in the number 10 role with either Solanke or Surridge we need another option outwide.

As last season showed we cannot rely on just Stanislas and Danjuma. For all the quality they have Stanislas is always going to unfortunately have time on the sidelines and Danjuma struggled with injuries to both feet for the whole year so who knows if they’ll hold up.

We won’t have King to play outwide either, so then you’re looking at Adam Smith or Diego Rico in an advanced role which isn’t ideal if we want to chase the top 6.

If we want to play Brooks?

Do you really think he is committed to us?

I'd love to be proved wrong, but I can't see him sticking round, can you?

Whenever I think of Derek Showers, which admittedly is not often, I always think of the last game of the 81/82 season. Cant remember who it was, Hereford maybe, anyway it was televised for highlights, and we had plasters over our shirt sponsor, because they weren't allowed at the time. When he equalised, his plaster was falling off, never forget our tinpot roots :LOL:
Showers was playing for Hereford in that game. I'm sure Tony Funnell scored for us.

I find this obsession with signing new players bizarre frankly. It's been said that we need to "signal our intent" and announce some new faces. As if the act of signing a new player for a hefty fee is in itself a requirement of a football club these days. It's not of course, you just need whoever is in your squad to be good enough but people have been convinced by Sky that big money signings are more important than they are.

It's probably more about having some depth.

King seems, for one reason or another to be absent.

So if Solanke or Surridge get crocked, who do we use?

Weve lost probably 8 established players from the squad, and promoted the youth.

Do you not genuinely feel we need at least 3 or 4 additions to balance the outgoings?

;