Formula 1

It's a no-win situation for the sport. As it stands it's pretty unsatisfactory with the feeling of it being contrived. An 'evening after the race' overturn of the result, even if the legally correct thing to do, would also be a poor way to end things. Spectators paid for subscriptions to see the conclusion unfold live on track, not be decided in a meeting room.

Stewards enquiries can change results in horse racing after the race has finished. Surely the same can happen in motor racing as well?

I guess had it been the other way around ..the Forum Elites would turn a blind eye..
...same as football do you not think?

They can't reverse it now after all the celebrations...and at least Hamilton congratulated Verstappen on his season achievement. Once the silly champagne thing is done...that's it.

Best to put the moans aside....fresh start with new rules next year .

The stewards had 10 minutes while the safety car was out to contrive the result they wanted and they achieved their required outcome. Farce.

As someone said, once Latifi crashed crashed they should have red flagged the race. That would have allowed the teams to change the tyres in the pits.
That would then mean a normal start on the grid. 4 or 5 laps with Max & Lewis.

This I realise is all with the benefit of hindsight.

Sorry to say that FIA's race director Michael Masi isn't up to the job.

It's been a great season to watch this year.

Who will he be driving for next season?

Well Lando Norris has said the same. (Edited to add so has Ricciardo and Sainz and probably more who I haven’t seen.) You can argue it all you like. It’s a massive screw up which anyone who cares about F1 will be angered by.

The sport has once again shot itself in the foot. There is no denying that.

Last edited:
I stopped watching F1 regularly 20-odd years ago as I was bored by the procession and the way everything bent to the demands of Ferrari. I've probably missed a lot of decent stuff since but simply had no interest anymore.

Gave it a whirl today, probably the first race I watched since the one where Hamilton beat Massa to the title on the last day, only to see more of the old-style nonsense.

I've better things to do with my time.
such as post on here? ;)

once the last lapped car has passed the leader the
safety car will return to the pits at the end of the following lap.

That’s the rule apparently just seen elsewhere. Clearly broke it. Be interesting to see now.

So a double protest from Mercedes.
1. That the rule on unlapping of cars was broken. That would seem to be a fact and
2. That Max was at one point ahead of Lewis while under safety car rules. Again TV footage seems to bear that out. So Max not blameless either.

For those failing to understand why Massi broke the rules (which he did, there is no argument around that)....

The rules are clear.

1) All lapped cars overtake (in which case Hamilton champ), or
2) No lapped cars overtake (in which case Hamilton champ)

Massi instead made up his own rule to "race". The only way that would allow Verstappen to be champ.

as black and white as that.

One crossed the line before t' other.

...and the drivers don't make the rules!

In Sport its often good to switch into neutral occasionally to get some perspectives ...because Grey is not a colour that likes being ignored !!!

For those failing to understand why Massi broke the rules (which he did, there is no argument around that)....

The rules are clear.

1) All lapped cars overtake (in which case Hamilton champ), or
2) No lapped cars overtake (in which case Hamilton champ)

Massi instead made up his own rule to "race". The only way that would allow Verstappen to be champ.

It’s farcical.

Even the argument over lap 1…what happened to having to leave a cars width when overtaking? Not mentioned at all today by the Sky commentators or pundits?

Due to Max’s defensive manoeuvres (and Masi and the FIA turning a blind eye when it suits) we’ve now got dangerous weaving down the straights, more than one move when defending a position into a corner.

All these rules were installed for safety.

One crossed the line before t' other.

...and the drivers don't make the rules!

In Sport its often good to switch into neutral occasionally to get some perspectives ...because Grey is not a colour that likes being ignored !!!

The only grey area for me is the colour of Hamilton’s car – though you could argue it’s silver, which is what Hamilton ended up with when he should have got gold.

;