Francis and Surman both gone

Forgive me if I’ve missed this somewhere, but doesn’t this indicate it was Max & Hughes (can we just nickname him Paddy from now on :) ) who made the decision rather than Tindall though?

If so are there any indications whether Tindall is getting a say on the players we are bringing in?

Forgive me if I’ve missed this somewhere, but doesn’t this indicate it was Max & Hughes (can we just nickname him Paddy from now on :) ) who made the decision rather than Tindall though?

If so are there any indications whether Tindall is getting a say on the players we are bringing in?
The problem was (apparently) that we were without a manager at the time when these contracts were due to be discussed. We couldn't leave the players in limbo until whenever it was we finally resolved the question of Eddie's successor and of course had also made it public. I suppose in that situation it is up to Hughes to speak to the players concerned, either tell them that we are working on new contracts for them both and to relax or that we are not looking to offer them new contracts at all.

I guess these decisions would normally be made in conjunction with the manager but since we didn't have one at the time, the director of football or whatever his title is, just informed the players of the club's decision.

So whether or not JT knew of the board's decision depends upon whether the club had internally already decided that JT was going to be the new manager. If so, then I'm sure they would have checked with him first but if not then they would have had no obligation to ask for his opinion.

I suspect the manager situation was still slightly up in the air when these discussions were taking place and JT probably wasn't asked IMO. For all we know though, Hughes may have discussed these players' futures with Eddie towards the end of last season and maybe this is what Eddie was intending to do anyway.

I guess we'll never know but it does sound as if JT was not involved in the decision making for this one. You would think that now he has been officially appointed as manager he will be involved in all future decisions regarding player sales and purchases.

Last edited:
The problem was (apparently) that we were without a manager at the time when these contracts were due to be discussed. We couldn't leave the players in limbo until whenever it was we finally resolved the question of Eddie's successor and of course had also made it public. I suppose in that situation it is up to Hughes to speak to the players concerned, either tell them that we are working on new contracts for them both and to relax or that we are not looking to offer them new contracts at all.

I guess these decisions would normally be made in conjunction with the manager but since we didn't have one at the time, the director of football or whatever his title is, just informed the players of the club's decision.

So whether or not JT knew of the board's decision depends upon whether the club had internally already decided that JT was going to be the new manager. If so, then I'm sure they would have checked with him first but if not then they would have had no obligation to ask for his opinion.

I suspect the manager situation was still slightly up in the air when these discussions were taking place and JT probably wan't asked IMO. For all we know though, Hughes may have discussed these players' futures with Eddie towards the end of last season and maybe this is what Eddie was intending to do anyway.

I guess we'll never know but it does sound as if JT was not involved in the decision making for this one. You would think that now he has been officially appointed as manager he will be involved in all future decisions regarding player sales and purchases.
All very well, but it doesn't explain why JT said he was sitting down with Franno, Surman and Daniel to discuss their futures if those decisions had already been made

All very well, but it doesn't explain why JT said he was sitting down with Franno, Surman and Daniel to discuss their futures if those decisions had already been made
I reckon when JT was asked and said that, he hadn't been told this news himself.
A dysfunctional period of time, hopefully something that settles down now we have various staff in place. But handled very badly. And players we could still use IMHO if Tindall had the authority / budget.

Beat me to it - although I’m not sure JT actually came out and said that, it was an “echo believes he will be involved” story, which explains things if they believed wrong! JT did say he wouldn’t have become manager if there was going to be a fire sale so I Guess it’s not improbable they discussed the out of contract players at the same time.

Thanks for taking the time on the explanation otherwise Gazzyb

He said he was sitting down with 'those guys' didn't he? Franno was offered a backroom role and Daniels given a chance to prove himself - sounds like discussing their future to me.

Sure he should have spoken to Surman a bit earlier but he rectified that by all accounts.

Even if this decision was made by the bean counters and JT had to accept it I'm not sure what the issue is. We've just seen our revenue collapse, there's going to be people sold etc that he may ideally want to keep.

Paras from the Echo.

The news that Surman would not be offered an extension to his contract was made public on Sunday and speaking to BBC Radio Solent yesterday, the 33-year-old admitted he hadn't spoken to Tindall at all about his future with technical director Richard Hughes instead breaking the news to him two weeks ago.

"Before Jase had been announced there was obviously no manager in charge and in the hierarchy at the club, it's Hughesy's responsibility to tell me where I stood and I appreciated that,"Surman explained in an interview with the Daily Echo.

“I have since yesterday spoken to Jason Tindall and that was fine. I wished him all the best and he wished me all the best and we left on good terms so there's no issues there.

"I'd found out and the club were obviously just waiting for the right time to make announcements and Jason Tindall has got a lot on his plate.

Last edited:
As Red Dez says, I think this was just the Echo making things up, probability being represented as fact. I doubt that it was ever communicated to them that these contracts were being discussed with JT, they just made that assumption as many of us also did. It appears to have been decided already by the time of the article. As NSM says, the club was in a bit of turmoil for the first two weeks after Eddie's departure so the lack of official statements probably just led the Echo to speculate that contract talks were still pending.

EDIT : Just seen BTK's post. That seems to confirm that the players were told that their contracts would not be renewed BEFORE JT was in charge, which makes perfect sense, since the club would not want them hanging around and potentially losing a move to another club whilst we waited to decide upon and then publicly announce the next manager. Seems only fair to let them know ASAP that they can start looking for a new club.

Last edited:
Just caught the two interviews with both Surman and Franno on afcbTV...

Must say, watching these interviews brings back some memories and despite all the stick some have given these guys, makes you realise just how big a part of this club these two have both been...

Necessary decisions, but still sad to see them both hanging up their shirts for the club...

https://www.afcb.co.uk/videos/interviews/surmans-full-farewell/?autoplay=true

https://www.afcb.co.uk/videos/interviews/frannos-farewell-feature-1/?autoPlay=true

Just caught the two interviews with both Surman and Franno on afcbTV...

Must say, watching these interviews brings back some memories and despite all the stick some have given these guys, makes you realise just how big a part of this club these two have both been...

Necessary decisions, but still sad to see them both hanging up their shirts for the club...

https://www.afcb.co.uk/videos/interviews/surmans-full-farewell/?autoplay=true

https://www.afcb.co.uk/videos/interviews/frannos-farewell-feature-1/?autoPlay=true

Haven’t had a chance to watch the Surman interview but the Franno one was certainly an end of an era interview.

He really wouldn’t have had much game time here if we‘d kept him, so I don’t think it made sense for either party for him to stay here. Still a very good player and top professional though. I hope he finds a team where he gets plenty of games for as long as he still feels physically capable.
A top bloke and I wish him well wherever he ends up.

He would have 100% done a job for us in the champ as shown during his appearances last season in the Prem. But the one area we are rich this season is in the middle. Wish him all the best.

I wouldn't say rich we have Lerma, Billing, Cook and Gos, then we're an injury away from relying on Kilkenny who has played 2 league cup games. Nnamdi could play CDM but looks like we prefer him at the back.

I may have missed this, so apologies if that’s the case, but I thought Francis was due to rejoin the club in some back room capacity?

I may have missed this, so apologies if that’s the case, but I thought Francis was due to rejoin the club in some back room capacity?
Last we heard was that it was a scouting role. But he hadn't yet decided whether to accept or not, I believe.
I think it was in a recent interview.

;