Fulham v AFC Bournemouth

@Waz afcb not picking fault but come on, if you were keeping tabs on the championship you’ll see that there have been results that absolutely no one would have expected - Us V derby, Derby V Fulham, Us V Preston, West Brom’s form to name a few. We are talking about 1st V 2nd here. For all you know Cahill could start, Pearson could be back. You’ll also realise Parker is very secretive with regards to team selection so you can’t write us off 2 days before the game. You’ve got a very very very negative slant on everything. Cheer up, you’ll enjoy life a lot more.

Mmm ..I think we might just do em over...stuff em like Xmas Turkeys.
Just a feeling like..because this will be a sort of 'derby'..what with it being SP returning up there... and a top table ruck !

'Injuries' and 'illnesses'. ..part of the hype.....
..trad stuff these days.

When we get to the Football ..it could be anything from both teams being cautious and boring, settling for a point...or an all out rumpus, a 'foul fest' with half of em back down the tunnel showered, dressed and watching with the stewards and ballboys !

The Fulhampalumpa will give SP some 'nice' Xmas greetings I guess...with words normally associated with what you do if you can't find a woman..or to a pancake etcetera ..if you get my analogical inference .

This is a Friday that draws one to the pub for an afternoon of juicy contemplation of the evenings timeline.

Im praying for an absolute humdinger..one in which we go For Glory.....take Glory to the alter ..and home to bed.

Well that's how I've jigged it on this sweet Thursday...which seems like a Friday ..best i get get pubward for a training sesh !

This is only one of four matches where we can legitimately use injuries as an excuse so hopefully we get a few players back......saying that we have the attacking players to really cause them problems given the high line they will play.....Anthony could have a lot of joy up against their right back due to him getting no help from Wilson.....wouldn't mind us going with 3 at the back if Kelly is still out as it'll allow us to go with Cook and Kilkenny in midfield again....Christie and Billing as the 2 no.8s behind Dom.......I can see us doing what we did last season against the better teams and nicking a win and I can also see a high scoring draw.......anyway I'm looking to it.

@Waz afcb not picking fault but come on, if you were keeping tabs on the championship you’ll see that there have been results that absolutely no one would have expected - Us V derby, Derby V Fulham, Us V Preston, West Brom’s form to name a few. We are talking about 1st V 2nd here. For all you know Cahill could start, Pearson could be back. You’ll also realise Parker is very secretive with regards to team selection so you can’t write us off 2 days before the game. You’ve got a very very very negative slant on everything. Cheer up, you’ll enjoy life a lot more.
If the players you list are fit then expectations will be different for sure. I am quite cheery right now thanks, just think we need to be realistic for this one!

If the team news is accurate and we don't have anyone back (added to Lerma's suspension) then I don't see how we can play our usual high pressing game with a defence of Cook and Mepham. We will have to use a deeper press and counter attack with balls over the top into the channels.

If the team news is accurate and we don't have anyone back (added to Lerma's suspension) then I don't see how we can play our usual high pressing game with a defence of Cook and Mepham. We will have to use a deeper press and counter attack with balls over the top into the channels.

Seeing as it’s Parker’s old team, I wonder if he is doing an ‘Eddie’ re injury news.

Parker admitted after Coventry that there was no chance Cahill was going to be fit, so to say he was 50/50 was just media guff and mind games...

Saying that, I don't expect to see any of those injured players line up tomorrow night...

We could do worse than go with...

Trav
Stacey, Meps, S.Cook, Davis
Kilkenny, L.Cook, Anthony
Christie, Billing,
Solanke

Parker admitted after Coventry that there was no chance Cahill was going to be fit, so to say he was 50/50 was just media guff and mind games...

Saying that, I don't expect to see any of those injured players line up tomorrow night...

Trav
Christie, Billing,
Solanke

That's still a pretty decent team or at least a team in which every player has looked very good in some games. And hopefully all the injuries will have instilled a feeling of backs against the wall, us against the rest, so you never know.

For an old codger who still thinks in terms of centre and inside forwards and 2 wingers, could someone explain high press please ? Does it just mean all out attack ?

Trav
Christie, Billing,
Solanke
Also with the possibility of Smith and Brady on the bench along with 5 from the 7 that were subs against Coventry.
It’s also a bit unclear how bad Cahill is.
If it’s bruised ribs as opposed to pulled tendon or cracked ribs he could be back tomorrow.

Trav
Christie, Billing,
Solanke

Would that be with Kilkenny out on the right though? I'm not sure he's played there. Would it be better for Christie to go out wide right and have a 4-4-1-1 formation?

For an old codger who still thinks in terms of centre and inside forwards and 2 wingers, could someone explain high press please ? Does it just mean all out attack ?

I think it's equivalent to swarming their defenders so they have to boot it long, or risk an error passing it out. Think back to playing in the playground at school :)

With Kelly's pace we were less vulnerable to a hoof than we are with a Cook / Meps partnership. Hence the discussion on if we need to change the style.

A high press can be used in any formation or shape of team, it's more the attitude and style in which the players play when the opposition have possession.

Parker likes us to use a high defensive line to play for offsides at the back, combined with our midfielders attackers being aggressively high up the pitch hunting the opposition defenders, trying to win the ball off them.

When you have quick defenders like Kelly or Lerma to cover the space you leave at the back, together with hard working forwards like Solanke Anthony and Christie, it can work really well.

The opposite to a high press would be sitting deep, two banks of four, letting the opposition have the ball on halfway. Which is something (IMHO) we might need to do a bit more of, without any pace at centre back.

I've seen Cook and Mepham attempt to play a high line and get caught too many times. Eddie sometimes used to try it with disastrous results!

This must be an error, re Mepham, I know he picked up his 5th yellow last Saturday, but thought it didn‘t count for suspension now.

With Lerma and Chris Mepham both suspended for this contest, Parker may feel that he has little choice but to revert to a back four.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/footba...outh-prediction-team-news-lineups_471605.html
It is an error BTK. The players guide for 21/22 season issued by the FA says the cut off for 5 yellow cards is 19 EFL (cups don't count) games. The cut off for 10 yellow cards is 37 games.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-02 at 13-50-18 essential-information-for-players-2021-22---english pdf.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-02 at 13-50-18 essential-information-for-players-2021-22---english pdf.png
    212.8 KB · Views: 6
Feel sorry for Parker here, going away to his former club, who also happen to be the top scorers in the league by a country mile, with likely his entire first choice back four and only two defensive midfielders out injured… I’m not inclined to write off games (even in the Prem I didn’t like this idea of a free hit as what is the point of turning up if we don’t believe we can compete) but even the most optimistic person from optimism land must admit that getting anything here is a very tough ask.
Re the formation and set up (assuming there are no miraculous recoveries) he has essentially got to pick from the lesser of two evils. Does he go for a back three with Rossi or a back four with Davis at left back? Both have shown themselves to be defensively naive at this point if we’re being honest and it’s highly likely that the most ruthless side in the league would take advantage. Personally I wouldn’t want Davis up against Harry Wilson and it might be beneficial to get as many bodies in our box to try and crowd out Mitrovic, so I would go for a back three with Ibsen Rossi but honestly can’t see either option being fruitful. Will be very interesting to see how we approach this.

What about Davis as LCB?

;