Gary O'Neil

Name the players that weren't trying, providing you actually know the names of any...
Just about All except Smith.....ironically the only one left from the excellent team that got promotion in 2015 !
Anyway let's see what happens game by game from now...with the three 'easy ones' coming up...at Turf Moor...then Sheffield and Luton at home... :unsure:

Last edited:
Not sure how a side that's finished 7th twice and never finished below 13th since it was promoted 5 years ago after smashing the Championship with Champions League players via a super agent and multi billionaire ownership could be labelled as "relegation fodder"
I know… they made a bad decision on a manager and now a few keen PE students on here are painting GON out to be a miracle worker. Imagine Iraola if he had Neto or Chong as his big signings as opposed to Traore and Dango

I know… they made a bad decision on a manager and now a few keen PE students on here are painting GON out to be a miracle worker. Imagine Iraola if he had Neto or Chong as his big signings as opposed to Traore and Dango

He did have Dango and he helped us go on a run that kept us up comfortably. He also had Tavernier pulling up trees, which isn't something the current manager has managed. The world simply isn't as black and white as your agendas would suggest.

He did have Dango and he helped us go on a run that kept us up comfortably. He also had Tavernier pulling up trees, which isn't something the current manager has managed. The world simply isn't as black and white as your agendas would suggest.
Is that you jumping on a reply to someone else looking for a row to bore everyone senseless again Del.

If players don't feel inclined to 'perform' these days ...they just f√cking won't ..end of....some managers can't spot this for ages....Howe for one...and they get away with it...two or three doing the same in the same game...that's it ...you lose the teamwork !

Well yeah....that's basically how I see it...but I can see the gist of your post....and it tbf makes my recent contribution seem smacking of downright hypocrisy..
Ok I can admit to that.

When you load on top of that your views on the corporate results driven Premier League verses non league entertainment, it’s peculiar to dismiss the views of supporters on this topic.

They argue the benefits of Iraola based on the entertainment his football brings and the smiles on people’s faces over the results driven style of O’Neil. You’d think that would closer align to your views?

A factor of why Gary might be doing so well also, in comparison to how he did here, is that it’s an entirely fresh start.

Here, he was the holdover from a successful at points, but very sour and mechanical set up with Parker. He was merely a coach in an intensely disliked regime. Both from the fans and also the players. With the squad he had, he may well have found it easier to default to the very bland, sat back style that Parker utilised. He probably wasn’t realistically in the position to really try and play the way he would want to.

Again, as much as the wider footballing world wants to laugh at us, you just need to look at the stats. Overall, we were the worst team in the league under him, and it’s very easy to make a case for the players keeping him up, rather than the other way around.

At Wolves, however…he’s got a MUCH better squad with somehow much lower expectations than even we had here. They’re expectations at the start of the season, with a squad of quality footballers full of internationals (that had regularly finished in the top 10), was to just stay up. That is insane! I genuinely can’t think of an easier job for someone of O’Neil’s specific talents. That is, motivating a borderline depressed squad that actually has a lot of talent, under absolutely NO external pressure (relative to the talent level of the players) from the media or other neutrals.

He is doing very well, and I think this is his first true managerial job where he’s able to stamp down his actual style without any kind of baggage. But I also can’t think of a manager that’s had an easier job, personally. That Wolves squad were ripe for a solid coach to tell them they’re not as bad as they’ve been told they are. It’s basically the situation our players were in, on crack. The media were practically BEGGING for him to succeed, and the barometer of what success is from their fans and the media both was very low.

I can’t think of a worse job for O’Neil than the England job, as has been suggested. A job where you have the most massive of expectations, dealing with players that will have these expectations of the coach. He would get absolutely eaten alive imho. Get real.

Do you think he's referring to Hwang? The player that was bang average last season and a world beater under O'Neil?
Possibly. My Wolves season ticket holder friend is most definitely of the view that GON has done wonders with a squad that hadn’t performed hitherto; a squad that had been reduced because of outgoings and with no funds available to strengthen the squad. His view is seemingly universal among Wolves fans.

Always small margins in football. Liverpool won the cup on Sunday but could easily have lost it. Similarly we could have won in regular time on Tuesday too.
Chelsea have lost their last 6 cup finals.

The trophy cabinet is something to behold apparently.

You don’t think that he’s overachieving with that squad? You only have to look at the track record of the likes of Hwang and Chuna and compare them with what they are producing now to see that he’s clearly a very good manager.

Two of our most influential attackers last season (Billing and Tav) performed better under GON than they are under Iraola.

When you load on top of that your views on the corporate results driven Premier League verses non league entertainment, it’s peculiar to dismiss the views of supporters on this topic.

They argue the benefits of Iraola based on the entertainment his football brings and the smiles on people’s faces over the results driven style of O’Neil. You’d think that would closer align to your views?

I don't know about aligning with my views...I am 'peculiar' compared to the more conventional and staid posters.
With non - league you weigh up the value of paying far less to watch far less in the way of quality.....but the excitement of more local derbies and short distances to travel come into the equation.
I sometimes watch two games in the same day if the kick - offs are staggered, for around ten quid...twenty with eats and drinks.

;