Gary O'Neil

My honest opinion of GON is that he had a squad capable of staying up here and achieved it in a way that was dull. There he has a better squad and he seems to have learnt from his experience here, is a bit more expansive and has excellent players on the break to exploit his system better. When I’m not on the wind up here I’m happy for him as he is a decent bloke who works hard.

The reality is the chuckle brothers arguably appointed him when they shouldn’t and sacked him when they shouldn’t. But that sums them up. I did say a few times last year if he keeps us up he earns the right to start the season. I stand by that even though I’m glad we’ve got Iraola as I prefer the football.

The dull parts of last season were the bits where he didn't have a decent squad to pick from. He had very few attacking players available after Christmas. Once Tavernier got fit and Dango arrived we had some great results and performances. He did well with what he had at his disposal.

Now you're merging one of your obsessions with another. They appointed Gary O'Neil when we needed a manager and they were proven right. For you of all people to suggest that they should have replaced him with Iraola just shows how far you have twisted yourself in knots over these silly agendas.

The dull parts of last season were the bits where he didn't have a decent squad to pick from. He had very few attacking players available after Christmas. Once Tavernier got fit and Dango arrived we had some great results and performances. He did well with what he had at his disposal.

Now you're merging one of your obsessions with another. They appointed Gary O'Neil when we needed a manager and they were proven right. For you of all people to suggest that they should have replaced him with Iraola just shows how far you have twisted yourself in knots over these silly agendas.
Agree to differ Del. We all see games differently

You’d know about taking a break. What name should I come back as? Any spare? King Unal? ;)

I’m not tetchy… it was just a daft opinion. You said they’d not achieved anything in the game before GON. Cunha played 40 times for Athletico Madrid and 11 times for Brazil in the couple years before joining Wolves. I don’t know what your definition of not achieving anything is. Who have we got that would play 11 times for Brazil…. Or 40 times for Athletico for that matter…
So it’s daft because it’s not the same as yours?

Cunha before this season had a record of scoring:

-2 in 27 for RB Leipzig- Bundesliga
-12 in 39 for Hertha- Bungesliga
-6 in 40 for Athletico- La Liga
-2 in 17 for Wolves- PL

-0 in 11 for Brazil

Under GON he has scored-

-9 in 24

He is a player who has never been prolific in any league and all of a sudden under GON he is, but I suppose that must be due to other reasons than his coach getting the best out of him….

Similarly Hwang has never even gotten close to scoring ten in a season in either Germany or England, this season he has 10 in 22.

I guess GON has just gotten very lucky that players that have never shown any signs of being prolific have all of a sudden magically become prolific!

I actually have stats to back up my daft opinion, what do you have to back up yours?

Precisely. Gary O'Neil was clearly the cheap option who was put in because they thought he could do well with limited resources as he did here. Wolves fans were completely underwhelmed by his appointment but they are eating their words now.
Agree. And he was the cheap option. That’s because wolves were slashing costs.

That’s why he understood that if you have £100m to spend then would look for a better manager. The question was always for me was AI the right choice rather than should GON stay. I am not sure either way yet.

We can debate the GON sacking all day long but the reality is, had he been giving time this season, he would have been sacked after the first 5-6 games, as a result of our ridiculously hard start…

So it’s all pointless really… We would always have moved him on… We just did it sooner to capitalise on the availability of Iraola…
Agree with this. Doubt GON would have got more than the 3 points than AI but we would have had a smoother transition from
Last season.

A likely bad start would lead to a majority calling for his head so a repeat of last season when preferred choices didn’t want to join mid season, leading to a cheap interim etc

Iraola has had two bad spells so far this season and one very good spell...likewise the players as a team....individually the players are much varied in terms of good and bad spells....the team selections haven't been set regular or consistent in any way ......plus better players have been sent out on loan...namely Brooks, Rothwell and Anthony; Anthony being the most bizarre loan imo...the Rothwell loan quite displeasing when you weigh up his assets..the Brooks one I guess is forgivable on the fitness front....but hardly on that destination !
So basically the Jury is still out on the Iraola appointment...or it should be....
The odds are that he will ultimately be seen as successful in May whatever the position of safety....and it IS his 1st season in the PL..
I really hope it ends well because we need the continuity to progress next season.

Agree. And he was the cheap option. That’s because wolves were slashing costs.

That’s why he understood that if you have £100m to spend then would look for a better manager. The question was always for me was AI the right choice rather than should GON stay. I am not sure either way yet.

I'm loving AI personally. I would have been happy enough if GON was still here but think getting AI in was a positive.

No. It’s daft because it’s daft.

Find me another human being that will agree with you that a player good enough to pull the Athletico Madrid shirt on 40 times and the Brazil shirt 11 times ‘hasn’t achieved anything in their career’

I doubt you even agree with it secretly.

Imagine being good enough to play for Brazil or Madrid youth teams let alone their first team.

It’s just talking shit.

Iraola has had two bad spells so far this season and one very good spell...likewise the players as a team....individually the players are much varied in terms of good and bad spells....the team selections haven't been set regular or consistent in any way ......plus better players have been sent out on loan...namely Brooks, Rothwell and Anthony; Anthony being the most bizarre loan imo...the Rothwell loan quite displeasing when you weigh up his assets..the Brooks one I guess is forgivable on the fitness front....but hardly on that destination !
So basically the Jury is still out on the Iraola appointment...or it should be....
The odds are that he will ultimately be seen as successful in May whatever the position of safety....and it IS his 1st season in the PL..
I really hope it ends well because we need the continuity to progress next season.
No question on Iraola appointment from me, it’s the best I’ve ever seen

Cunha before this season had a record of scoring:

-2 in 27 for RB Leipzig- Bundesliga
-12 in 39 for Hertha- Bungesliga
-6 in 40 for Athletico- La Liga
-2 in 17 for Wolves- PL

-0 in 11 for Brazil

Under GON he has scored-

-9 in 24

He is a player who has never been prolific in any league and all of a sudden under GON he is, but I suppose that must be due to other reasons than his coach getting the best out of him….

Similarly Hwang has never even gotten close to scoring ten in a season in either Germany or England, this season he has 10 in 22.

I guess GON has just gotten very lucky that players that have never shown any signs of being prolific have all of a sudden magically become prolific!

I actually have stats to back up my daft opinion, what do you have to back up yours?
Exactly the same as Solanke...... he has found form.

Not covering yourself in glory with this argument are you unbelievable_coconut, of is it KingKieffer, or MidfielderMagic?

Hard to keep up with your usernames, but you spout the same **************** under all your different monikers.

Solanke has completely countered your ridiculous argument.

Players hit form, regardless of who's on the sidelines.

Luckily for Andoni, Solanke has been pretty much top class, and without his goals, Andoni would have been fired.

Is that down to Solanke himself, or Andoni............... unbelievable_coconut?

Exactly the same as Solanke...... he has found form.

Not covering yourself in glory with this argument are you unbelievable_coconut, of is it KingKieffer, or MidfielderMagic?

Hard to keep up with your usernames, but you spout the same **************** under all your different monikers.

Solanke has completely countered your ridiculous argument.

Players hit form, regardless of who's on the sidelines.

Luckily for Andoni, Solanke has been pretty much top class, and without his goals, Andoni would have been fired.

Is that down to Solanke himself, or Andoni............... unbelievable_coconut?
You make some very valid points and it’s impressive how cohesively you are able to articulate them. Not sure why you couldn’t have just included this in the multiple PMs that you send to me though, save everybody else having to read it? Maybe next time save everyone else the bother.

No. It’s daft because it’s daft.

Find me another human being that will agree with you that a player good enough to pull the Athletico Madrid shirt on 40 times and the Brazil shirt 11 times ‘hasn’t achieved anything in their career’

I doubt you even agree with it secretly.

Imagine being good enough to play for Brazil or Madrid youth teams let alone their first team.

It’s just talking shit.
Okay, so my wording wasn’t the best. But I think you know what I was getting at, they are hitting heights from an individual perspective under GON that they have never come close to hitting before previously in their careers. Surely you cannot deny that as a fact? Of course they are both talented players and I’m not suggesting otherwise, but they now have a manager who is getting the very best out of them.

To be honest Neil I find your replies very disappointing, I always had you down as one of the best debaters on here but responses like “it’s just talking ****************” seems like I made a misjudgement there.

I think it’s pretty obvious at this point that the majority of posters on this board who accuse all of your posts of being ‘agenda driven’ are correct. You will attempt to twist any discussion in order to suit your pre conceived argument, and you are totally incapable of shifting from that viewpoint even remotely. You are too stubborn to even see it too. It’s a shame.

Okay, so my wording wasn’t the best. But I think you know what I was getting at, they are hitting heights from an individual perspective under GON that they have never come close to hitting before previously in their careers. Surely you cannot deny that as a fact? Of course they are both talented players and I’m not suggesting otherwise, but they now have a manager who is getting the very best out of them.

To be honest Neil I find your replies very disappointing, I always had you down as one of the best debaters on here but responses like “it’s just talking ****************” seems like I made a misjudgement there.

I think it’s pretty obvious at this point that the majority of posters on this board who accuse all of your posts of being ‘agenda driven’ are correct. You will attempt to twist any discussion in order to suit your pre conceived argument, and you are totally incapable of shifting from that viewpoint even remotely. You are too stubborn to even see it too. It’s a shame.
I get you I’m just not sure what you are trying to prove. Yes managers and system changes bring out different things in different players. We are seeing it with Solanke and Christie but not in Tavs. You have to have talent to work with though and I think Wolves had better talent than us. They have a few players over that magic 30m bracket we have none. They have players good enough to play 11 times for Brazil up front. We have none….

I don't know about aligning with my views...I am 'peculiar' compared to the more conventional and staid posters.
With non - league you weigh up the value of paying far less to watch far less in the way of quality.....but the excitement of more local derbies and short distances to travel come into the equation.
I sometimes watch two games in the same day if the kick - offs are staggered, for around ten quid...twenty with eats and drinks.
I believe that Arsenal away is just £14 for someone of your age.

I believe that Arsenal away is just £14 for someone of your age.
I daresay it is : Fine and Dandy - for anyone 'of my age'...to take a punt.
I once went to watch Arsenal out of curiosity, when having a few hours to spare passing through Londunburgh, or was it Lundenwic , Lundinir or Londinium ?
... at Highbury, circa 885...I kinda logged it as the second worst place, football wise, on Earth.
Part of this semi-digression must be for me to state that Old Trafford was the number one sick- bag destination of my excursions.
Anyway, i'm happy now, jumping in my 5 year old Suzuki X-Cross, whizzing around Cornwall and West Devon, ground hopping in my somewhat Country attire, field testing facilities in step 10 of the English League pyramid.

It's amazing how, when i'm properly awake, that a circa 13 word post like yours can extract such vacuous verbosity of over 100 words..and the more I like a poster ..the more words seem to tumble down my nerve routes into the keys.:wack:

Wolves look set to avoid breaches of Premier League spending rules despite recording a loss of £67.2m for the financial year to 31 May 2023.

That figure follows on from a loss of £46.1m for the previous 12 months.
Former boss Julen Lopetegui was not allowed to spend heavily last summer, as Wolves tried to stay within Premier League profit and sustainability rules.

Clubs can lose a maximum of £105m over a rolling three-season period, or £35m per campaign, before facing sanctions.

Interesting interview with GON twenty minutes or so in …
Feeds in nicely to some of the debate on here as to whether or not we’d have started the season in the same way ….
Very interesting on the point you make.

Yeah ..listening to that..Gary is nobodies fool is he ?....( apart from some on this Forum)....so resourceful - a 'thinking mans manager' i'd say ..

There's no doubt Gon has improved ......he"s still doing the same things this season as he did last season with us as in a low block and counter attacking but he's got better at it and he has players that are better suited to it........he still hasn't got a clue what to do when teams like Brentford let them have the ball though .......we didn't get rid of him because he's a bad manager ........we got rid of him because he's an extremely dull one.

;