Gary O'Neil

Possibly. My Wolves season ticket holder friend is most definitely of the view that GON has done wonders with a squad that hadn’t performed hitherto; a squad that had been reduced because of outgoings and with no funds available to strengthen the squad. His view is seemingly universal among Wolves fans.
It’s why lopetegui left - unhappy with the squad esp with a number of forced sales. That’s why people try to dismiss GON’s achievements as the squad is so good are wide of the mark - not least because, if you follow that logic, it means GON would do better this season at afcb given the squad improved

It’s why lopetegui left - unhappy with the squad esp with a number of forced sales. That’s why people try to dismiss GON’s achievements as the squad is so good are wide of the mark - not least because, if you follow that logic, it means GON would do better this season at afcb given the squad improved

Precisely. Gary O'Neil was clearly the cheap option who was put in because they thought he could do well with limited resources as he did here. Wolves fans were completely underwhelmed by his appointment but they are eating their words now.

I agree with all of this, but I still think they have a very good squad even after some of their sales, personally. Doesn’t negate or detract from anything he’s achieved IMHO.

You don’t think that he’s overachieving with that squad? You only have to look at the track record of the likes of Hwang and Chuna and compare them with what they are producing now to see that he’s clearly a very good manager.

Two of our most influential attackers last season (Billing and Tav) performed better under GON than they are under Iraola.
I don’t think he is overachieving with that squad no. Like NW Cherries said it’s a really decent squad on paper. One poor manager decision was the reason they looked like they should struggle. I’ve not seen even his small group of fans in our fanbase say he is a brilliant manager. Therefore the squad has to be a really decent one. Neto, Hwang and Cunha are players a lot of the bottom twelve would start.

Last edited:
I don’t think he is overachieving with that squad no. Like NW Cherries said it’s a really decent pub on paper. One poor manager decision was the reason they looked like they should struggle. I’ve not seen even his small group of fans in our fanbase say he is a brilliant manager. Therefore the squad has to be a really decent one. Neto, Hwang and Cunha are players a lot of the bottom twelve would start.

Two of those had done nothing in a wolves shirt before O'Neil showed up. Talk about dying on a hill. It's incredible the way you are willing to bend logic to support your pre-existing viewpoint. Have you ever admitted you were wrong?

Two of those had done nothing in a wolves shirt before O'Neil showed up. Talk about dying on a hill. It's incredible the way you are willing to bend logic to support your pre-existing viewpoint. Have you ever admitted you were wrong?
Is that you replying to my reply to someone else looking for a row that will bore everyone senseless for a third time in a day?

Also you challenging someone for not admitting they are ever wrong is a bit like Reality and Realism criticising someone for being a touch pessimistic

Is that you replying to my reply to someone else looking for a row that will bore everyone senseless for a third time in a day?

Also you challenging someone for not admitting they are ever wrong is a bit like Reality and Realism criticising someone for being a touch pessimistic

I've been wrong loads. Why all the deflection? Can't you just address the football related point that is being made?

I don’t think he is overachieving with that squad no. Like NW Cherries said it’s a really decent squad on paper. One poor manager decision was the reason they looked like they should struggle. I’ve not seen even his small group of fans in our fanbase say he is a brilliant manager. Therefore the squad has to be a really decent one. Neto, Hwang and Cunha are players a lot of the bottom twelve would start.
But Hwang and Chuna had never done anything anywhere in their careers up until this point, so all of the past managers they had must just be really bad then? To the point that they’re worse than a PE teacher? Seems a bit far fetched. Why not just acknowledge that he’s probably learned from his time here and has developed into a bloody good manager now? Seems the most likely

I've been wrong loads. Why all the deflection? Can't you just address the football related point that is being made?
If Hwang and Cunha are better than last year it follows your constant reiteration that players take time to settle in a new country and shouldn’t be written off early surely?

Zabarnyi looks a lot better this year. Are you putting all that down to Andoni?

But Hwang and Chuna had never done anything anywhere in their careers up until this point, so all of the past managers they had must just be really bad then? To the point that they’re worse than a PE teacher? Seems a bit far fetched. Why not just acknowledge that he’s probably learned from his time here and has developed into a bloody good manager now? Seems the most likely
I’m really sorry but when it comes to listening to someone’s opinion on other teams players I’m going to go with someone who didn’t continually slag ours off compared to Forests for two years…

I’m really sorry but when it comes to listening to someone’s opinion on other teams players I’m going to go with someone who didn’t continually slag ours off compared to Forests for two years…
So much for playing the post and not the poster ey Neil? Think you might need to take a break, you seem a bit tetchy. Was just raising an alternative opinion

We can debate the GON sacking all day long but the reality is, had he been giving time this season, he would have been sacked after the first 5-6 games, as a result of our ridiculously hard start…

So it’s all pointless really… We would always have moved him on… We just did it sooner to capitalise on the availability of Iraola…
Impossible to judge that. I felt sorry for GON, didn’t think he deserved it at the time. But, I’m enjoying the football more this season.

So much for playing the post and not the poster ey Neil? Think you might need to take a break, you seem a bit tetchy. Was just raising an alternative opinion
You’d know about taking a break. What name should I come back as? Any spare? King Unal? ;)

I’m not tetchy… it was just a daft opinion. You said they’d not achieved anything in the game before GON. Cunha played 40 times for Athletico Madrid and 11 times for Brazil in the couple years before joining Wolves. I don’t know what your definition of not achieving anything is. Who have we got that would play 11 times for Brazil…. Or 40 times for Athletico for that matter…

Precisely. Gary O'Neil was clearly the cheap option who was put in because they thought he could do well with limited resources as he did here. Wolves fans were completely underwhelmed by his appointment but they are eating their words now.
Wolves were the third shortest odds for relegation at start of season.

They are doing rather well to say the least and that’s down to GON.

The way we got rid of him was disgusting.

If Hwang and Cunha are better than last year it follows your constant reiteration that players take time to settle in a new country and shouldn’t be written off early surely?

Zabarnyi looks a lot better this year. Are you putting all that down to Andoni?

I think it's down to both player and manager. They won't improve all players and different players will do well under different managers as we seem to be seeing from Christie, Cook Tavernier, Billing, Rothwell, etc.

It's not a black and white scenario but what you can say is both O'Neil and Iraola are very competent managers. Well you could say it if you weren't wedded to your ridiculous pre-conceived ideas about O'Neil that you refuse to change despite the mounting evidence to the contrary.

I think it's down to both player and manager. They won't improve all players and different players will do well under different managers as we seem to be seeing from Christie, Cook Tavernier, Billing, Rothwell, etc.

It's not a black and white scenario but what you can say is both O'Neil and Iraola are very competent managers. Well you could say it if you weren't wedded to your ridiculous pre-conceived ideas about O'Neil that you refuse to change despite the mounting evidence to the contrary.
My honest opinion of GON is that he had a squad capable of staying up here and achieved it in a way that was dull. There he has a better squad and he seems to have learnt from his experience here, is a bit more expansive and has excellent players on the break to exploit his system better. When I’m not on the wind up here I’m happy for him as he is a decent bloke who works hard.

The reality is the chuckle brothers arguably appointed him when they shouldn’t and sacked him when they shouldn’t. But that sums them up. I did say a few times last year if he keeps us up he earns the right to start the season. I stand by that even though I’m glad we’ve got Iraola as I prefer the football.

;