Gary O'Neil

There will be a load of clubs queuing up for his services when the time's right for him.

Harsh as it sounds I doubt there will be many clubs with our squad quality and budget. There's something missing with the guy I'm afraid, I dunno persona to start with.

He'll probably take a sabbatical and end up at Stoke or West Brom.

I think deep down he knew this juggernaut was to going to overwhelm him but wish him the best of luck.

Don't really give a toss what some of his old football mates plus the dinosaur Richard Keys think. Keys probably wants Allardyce or Curbishley to get the job anyway and hates foreign managers.

Henry Winter is right in that it is harsh, but doesn't mean it's wrong. Obviously if Iraola doesn't work out we will look stupid and have a lot of "I told you so" pundits, but it's a calculated risk to turn us in to a more consistently strong PL side. I doubt any of these pundits watched our performances against Palace, West Ham, Brentford, Burnley or Southampton (at home). Massive room for improvement.

There are so many ifs, buts and maybe to both sides of the argument. What if we had won a couple of those last 4 games and ended 13th and a few million pounds richer? What if they had stuck with GON and allowed him to refresh the squad over summer? Would he have attracted the players needed to stay up next season. Will the new manager provide a more attractive lure to players we are mooted to be chasing over GON? Did the owners always have him in mind, regardless of whether we stayed up, and were just waiting on his contract to expire? No one will really ever know the correct answers but what I do know is that GON is not the first and will definitely not be the last manager to be sacked when a lot of fans and pundits think it was harsh.
Regardless, I wish GON all the best and will look forward to the next few weeks with a mixture of excitement and sheer bloody trepidation.

It’s funny how literally every criticism seems to revolve around “don’t they know their place?!”

I see how it is. **************** em.
It's classic lazy journalism. They would rather we just quietly piss off back to the championship to be replaced by one of the "Big Clubs" and how dare we try to strive for something better than scraping survival every season.

It’s funny how literally every criticism seems to revolve around “don’t they know their place?!”

I see how it is. **************** em.

Ha yep getting similar tone from my mates/aquintances

'He kept you up in the Premier league... you're bournemouth for f***s sake, what more are you expecting' .

That kind of thing.

Particularly funny when its from more left leaning people who don't like class system and 'knowing your place' in life.

The dogs abuse the club are getting across social media is something else.

Oh well it's never been a popularity contest.
Sadly, most experts know little about afcb and thus their analysis is pretty weak.

Club got stick for sacking Parker but critics failed to distinguish between a 9/0 defeat and criticism of the board/team

As for GON, lineker is ignorant if he thinks the decision is ludicrous. Brutal, harsh and undeserved maybe but there is a clear distinction between a relegation scrap and developing a team for top ten of the prem and developing high end talent.

Mark mcadam’s quality makes these experts look like amateurs tbh.

Harsh on Gazza but the final.4 games of last season were pretty poor so although it may not have guaranteed him staying it certainly wouldn't have done him any favours. I sort of agree that GON should possibly have been given some next season but can see why the club have acted like this. It was a brave gamble from BF , especially after his January announcement of us staying up, but look at the three teams who went down . All changed their manager during the season. Everton who changed there's scraped survival on the last day by beating a half arsed AFCB performance. If BF is going to invest more millions on new players he needs to be confident that the man in charge is going to get the best out of them and I'm not sure GON gave him that confidence. GON relied heavily on certain names who ultimately repaid him but let's be fair some of what we watched from the stands was pretty poor. I'm more excited by having the new guy in than I would be if GON was still in charge. Still on a positive note for GON he will be well reimbursed for his efforts and he should have no issue getting future work. It's a new era of AFCB and although we may not all agree with the ' American-isms' that will creep into the match day ' experience' it's what happens on the pitch that really matters. This new guy will not know the players in a personal way that GON did so hopefully we'll see a break up of the ' boys club' and those that don't perform / aren't at the right level will be dropped / moved on. Some already have , of course. It will be interesting to see who Iraola has on his transfer radar and whether he will be able to attract them to us. No matter how we feel about our club we will always struggle if bigger or more well known clubs are interested in the same player.

Do we know if the back room staff are staying or is the new manager bringing his own

My assumption is they are staying. Otherwise it would have been announced in the previous statements. It also helps with continuity.

Neither Cooper or Elphick were officially announced as “assistant” so Iraola will come in with hopefully a number 2. Either of which hopefully know how to organise a defence for crosses and set pieces.

I think GON probably deserved a stab at next season, however, I am sure he was fully aware of his precarious position at the club, and if the club had this new guy on their radar from January, and then suddenly became available, and 'the owners' felt that GON's experience and stature probably did not match the long-term goal(s) of the club, then I don't have a problem with them asking him to step aside... Which lets face it, that is what has happened... yes he has been sacked, but not because he is sh*t, or there was any malice from either party... He has been asked to step aside for the good of the club and it's vision and goals... and I am sure he has had a nice pay off for it...

Something the media will not understand for several weeks, just like Parker's sacking...

I don't like to see the word 'Sacked' in all these headlines, but I get that technically he has been sacked... It also fits the media's current narrative and adds ammunition for them to beat us with... The only ones that I have seen that offer a level of sense to the story of this are the ones that know us... Mark Macadam and Alex Crook... which says a lot... Just grateful that these two have quite a far reach on their platforms... Everyone else just looks in and reacts as it being very harsh with very little understanding of the situation... again, like Parker's sacking...

It's a brave punt, but I guess we should applaud the club for taking the punt and daring to be ambitious...

Last edited:
My assumption is they are staying. Otherwise it would have been announced in the previous statements. It also helps with continuity.

Neither Cooper or Elphick were officially announced as “assistant” so Iraola will come in with hopefully a number 2. Either of which hopefully know how to organise a defence for crosses and set pieces.
I'm assuming both Coops' and Elphicks' previous roles have been filled anyhow, so what would they go back to... Two names that will not be departing the club anytime soon I hope...

We need to keep ex-players involved in the club for academy categorising as well let's not forget...

I think GON probably deserved a stab at next season, however, I am sure he was fully aware of his precarious position at the club, and if the club had this new guy on their radar from January, and then suddenly became available, and 'the owners' felt that GON's experience and stature probably did not match the long-term goal(s) of the club, then I don't have a problem with them asking him to step aside... Which lets face it, that is what has happened... yes he has been sacked, but not because he is sh*t, or there was any malice from either party... He has been asked to step aside for the good of the club and it's vision and goals... and I am sure he has had a nice pay off for it...

Something the media will not understand for several weeks, just like Parker's sacking...

I don't like to see the word 'Sacked' in all these headlines, but I get that technically he has been sacked... It also fits the media's current narrative and adds ammunition for them to beat us with... The only ones that I have seenthat offer a level of sense to the story of this are the ones that know us... Mark Macadam and Alex Crook... which says a lot... Just grateful that these two have quite a far reach on their platforms... Everyone us just looks in and reacts as it being very harsh without very little understanding of the situation... again, like Parker's sacking...

It's a brave punt, but I guess we should applaud the club for taking the punt and daring to be ambitious...
I think therein lies the problem with the media. How dare they show ambition ? Don't they realise that they're just there to fight relegation and make up the numbers?

I read quite a lot on social media yesterday, from various so-called experts, all dipping their toe in with 'disgusting behaviour', outrageous scenes at DC', 'such awful treatment' blah blah blah... These were usually followed by hundreds of 'hope Bournemouth get relegated now' comments (no change there then)... I think the only one that dared to buck the trend was Jamie Carragher who seemed to understand the club's plight...

Is it really too much to ask for these 'big names' in football to actually do some research before reacting to something they know diddly squat about... and Richard Keys...!??!? Richard f*cking Keys wading in... FML... Go back to underneath your bridge FFS...

GON is a sensible bloke, and I whilst he is probably hurting a bit inside, he'll reason with this decision, pick himself up and go grab him a great Championship club... and I wish him all the best and hope we get to play against his side in a couple of years...

And I imagine some fans giving the club stick for letting him go we’re the ones giving him dogs abuse during matches.

I think it’s a bold move and I hope Gary goes on to be successful.
It was only ever a subset of 'us' giving the abuse. Some just supported the team.

I'm sure he has learnt a lot in the past year that will be very helpful for him in becoming more effective than he was at times. There were definitely promising signs in his performance, mixed in with obvious lack of experience in decisions around and in matches and his media dealings.

Longer term it will probably do him good to start afresh.

;