Gary O'Neil

Of course, we all want brilliant performances and wins every week if possible.... but nobody prefers getting beat every week with allegedly beautiful football (if that were even possible) than grinding out shitty 1-0 wins all the time. Crappy 1-0 wins aren't the best but they are always better than getting beat.
Again nobody prefers getting beat every week with beautiful football no Del but that’s you wedged at one end of the spectrum again.

It’s hard for you I know….

Scott Parker/Gary O’Neil over 2 seasons across two divisions, averaged 1.51 points per game.

Andoni Iraola over half a season, averaging 1.25 points per game.

On a week per week basis, it’s hard to look beyond the level of entertainment under Iraola, even with fond memories of a promotion and 3 month purple patch immediately after covid.

The mistake people make and you hear this trotted out by pundits all the time is to ask people to choose between attractive football or results.....it not an either or debate........we can win games playing the way we are now or we can win games as we did last season......why wouldn't anyone want the former?

Scott Parker/Gary O’Neil over 2 seasons across two divisions, averaged 1.51 points per game.

Andoni Iraola over half a season, averaging 1.25 points per game.

On a week per week basis, it’s hard to look beyond the level of entertainment under Iraola, even with fond memories of a promotion and 3 month purple patch immediately after covid.
Exactly. While Del will want to polarise the argument as arguments have to be won the reality is different.

What we are taking about here is would you rather play open entertaining possession based football and say finish 15th or pragmatic low possession football and finish 10th winning more games. I have no fall out with people in the latter camp as I totally get their logic but my personal preference would be to the former.

Not sure liars. Plenty have indicated on here they'd rather go down playing attractive football than 'grinding' our way to safety playing (overly) pragmatic football.

Going down provides its on set of issues, which imo are much more serious than having to 'endure' pragmatic football. Clubs future can go to total sh1t if you dont manage to bounce back immediately, for example. We'd then be back to 20 blokes on here debating about if we can hang on to our best players each window, and when tickets go on sale for for Morecombe away.

Attractive football but losing most weeks quickly becomes old imo.

I take survival and pragmatic football, over the relegation lottery, stress, uncertainty and risks that accompany it every time tbh.

Of course - an entertaining win is better than a boring win and an entertaining defeat is better than an abject defeat - it goes without saying.

It doesn't matter what way you scan it though - style of football comes second to results.

No, for everyone. Nobody, including you, would put up with terrible results for a sustained period no matter how pretty the performances. Everyone, including you, would put up with shitty 1-0 wins if it meant lifting the PL trophy or FA cup.

If hypothetically you had a team capable of pulling off enough shitty 1-0 wins to win the Premier League, then you’d still sack the manager as it’s not sustainable and doesn’t last forever… Leicester City…

No, for everyone. Nobody, including you, would put up with terrible results for a sustained period no matter how pretty the performances. Everyone, including you, would put up with shitty 1-0 wins if it meant lifting the PL trophy or FA cup.

we had numerous scrappy one nils in eddie's early days
no-one gave a flying fcuk as I recall
only the football sanctimonious claim otherwise

If hypothetically you had a team capable of pulling off enough shitty 1-0 wins to win the Premier League, then you’d still sack the manager as it’s not sustainable and doesn’t last forever… Leicester City…

You only sack the manager when the results go bad not the performances.

Leicester sacked raneri when they started losing
what's your point?

You only sack the manager when the results go bad not the performances.

But even in your extreme scenario, it would still be evident that it won’t last forever and change is eventually coming.

Under a normal scenario, that’s even more obvious. Without performances, results are harder to come by.

Whilst performances without results still shows potential that you’re headed in the right direction over time.

But even in your extreme scenario, it would still be evident that it won’t last forever and change is eventually coming.

Under a normal scenario, that’s even more obvious. Without performances, results are harder to come by.

Whilst performances without results still shows potential that you’re headed in the right direction over time.

Nothing lasts forever. Eddie Howe didn't lose his job when performances started getting boring he lost it when results got us relegated.

Agree - what what the hell did he tell the players in the last 4 matches?

Getting into Selhurst for the Palace match I was so looking forward to a team free from the shackles of relegation

So angry by the time I left, one of the worst performances I have seen from us.
You mean the match after they had secured safety when many, including people on here, had written him and the players off 10 games previously.
I feel sorry if you place more weight on a meaningless game at Palace over a 3-2 win at Spurs, 1-0 win over Liverpool or winning at Scum to pretty much condemn them to relegation. No let's remember those last 4 games and use it as a stick to beat him with. Yes, yes all games are important, we travel to away games at great expense and expect effort, determination and pride in our performance. But that all rests on his shoulders and everything that came before it should be forgotten?

I have no major issue with what happened afterwards as long as people can accept that GON did an amazing job keeping us up.

The football might not have been great but he achieved his goal and that set by his employers.

What's 'deserve ' got to do with anything?....the owners wanted a better manager...should we just keep a manager just because we feel he's owed something for keeping us up?....he wasn't on 10 pound an hour you know....he got a massive pay off and is now a PL manager because we gave him a chance nobody else would have given him....we owe him fck all.
Where did I say anything to do with "deserve" or "owing" him?

Three, all in a single month from a rookie manager. It was do or die. Not really the same context.

View attachment 13120

more the following season and some nil nils
that burton game was awful
not so do-or-die and the same context....

15 August 2009Rotherham UnitedDean Court1–05,091Garry 45'Match Report
318 August 2009Aldershot TownDean Court1–05,556Pearce 48'Match Report
422 August 2009Northampton TownSixfields Stadium0–24,102Match Report
529 August 2009Crewe AlexandraDean Court1–04,563Feeney 51'Match Report
65 September 2009Torquay UnitedPlainmoor2–13,881Pitman 49', Fletcher 87'Match Report
712 September 2009Lincoln CityDean Court3–15,385Pitman 7', Igoe 20', 61'Match Report
819 September 2009DarlingtonThe Darlington Arena2–01,999Pitman 15' 83' (1 Pen)Match Report
926 September 2009Burton AlbionDean Court1–06,327Pitman 86'Match Report
1029 September 2009Hereford UnitedEdgar Street1–22,104Fletcher 60'Match Report
113 October 2009Port ValeVale Park0–04,905Match Report
1210 October 2009ChesterfieldDean Court1–25,896Hollands 75'Match Report
1317 October 2009Accrington StanleyCrown Ground1–01,858Hollands 76'Match Report
1424 October 2009Grimsby TownDean Court3–15,270Connell 27', Linwood 34' (OG), Pitman 87'Match Report
1531 October 2009RochdaleDean Court0–46,378Match Report
1614 November 2009Bradford CityValley Parade1–111,732Pitman 33'Match Report
1721 November 2009Macclesfield TownMoss Rose2–11,413Pitman 45'+1, 78'Match Report
1824 November 2009Dagenham & RedbridgeDean Court0–06,881Match Report
191 December 2009BarnetUnderhill Stadium1–12,030Pitman 44'Match Report
205 December 2009Shrewsbury TownDean Court1–04,652Dunfield 85' (o.g.)Match Report
2112 December 2009MorecambeChristie Park0–52,034Match Report
2226 December 2009Cheltenham TownWhaddon Road1–04,114Feeney 57'

;