Gary O'Neil

There's absolutely nothing wrong with direct play and getting it forward quickly. Leicester's title winning side were more entertaining to watch than endless sideways passes from man city boring the opposition to tears.

Which is exactly what he adds…

“they’ve been successful with it. There’s no one way to do things and Bournemouth are doing very well with the way that they do it at the moment.”

There's a difference between getting it forward quickly into channels to create problems for defenders who may not have reset their position and aimless hoofs up the pitch.

Dare I say it, but against Villa second half was one of the first times this season I think we were more latter than former. Probably just a temporary glitch though, as we've shown on other games that we know what to do.

Which is exactly what he adds…

“they’ve been successful with it. There’s no one way to do things and Bournemouth are doing very well with the way that they do it at the moment.”

Yeah I agree with him. I don't think we should be sensitive about being described as direct. We generally do it really well in a controlled and clever way and it is pleasing on the eye.

We’re direct when we need to be. When winning the ball back, we look to play forward early, on the transition, if we can. When there’s not a lot else on, we knock it in the channel or over the full back and turn them round, rather than over-playing in our defensive third. It’s a pretty sensible strategy to be fair.

As for it being a criticism, it’s not like we’ve got a Trevor Aylott figure up front and we’re just banging it up to him looking for flick ons or knock downs.

Clever as well to create a whole new online persona by the illiterate misuse of capital letters…. The other name changers on here could take notes on this great subterfuge…

don't worry humpty, after we thrash wolves tonight i'll pop round and we can have a cuddle and watch gary's post-match together

promise i'll be gentle

It’s down to the stats.

View attachment 13953

Comparing to Wolves, it means we go long on average 8/9 times more often than Wolves per game.

On another point which I find interesting, due to general discussion on style of play.

Wolves will play 78 more passes on average per game, 15 to 16 more backward passes than we do, but that would be a lower percentage.

Coincidentally I saw this today and I wouldn't have thought we'd be associated with Everton and Brentford but only Everton, W Ham, and Forest get the ball quicker faster than us, and only Everton, Luton and Shef U have fewer passes per sequence.

Capture.png

I also saw this that I'm still trying to interpret, but again our patterns are similar to teams nearer the bottom of the table.

Capture.png

He’s definitely being coy and cute about describing us as a “long ball” team and being high spenders. He’s not wrong, but the passive aggressive tone of it is irritating. You can do the same thing for any team:

“Yeah, Wolves go about it completely different to us. They play with more freedom, whereas we have a structure and a system we apply to games. I love watching Wolves! Great team. They just give it to their star players and anything might happen!”

Wolves are the team that are exceeding their expected points by the highest margin by far, as well as having the highest number of attempted and succeeded dribbles per 90. Screams to me of “get the ball to Neto or Cunha and we might get a goal”. You can call it adaptable tactics, or you can call it no tactics lol. Pick your poison.

I know who I’d rather watch week by week. And I also know that whatever the circumstances, whatever the media says, the football under Gary was objectively dirge.

I wasn't a fan of his style of football and wasn't sorry to see him go but I'd resigned myself to him having another season here and was hoping he'd improve with more experience. It looks like he has and good luck to him but some of his public pronouncements are very self serving. You'd never know from what he's said that he was a coach here and knew, or should've known, what every player was capable of or that he got the equivalent of "new manager bounce" just by geeing them up after Parker had slagged them off. He's not a bad manager but his schtick is definitely "poor little me" managing to achieve all this against horrendous odds with Bournemouth and now with Wolves. The difference in squad values is £14m hardly worth mentioning especially when you factor in the £40m spent on Traore and Adams. Overall, for me, he's a bit like Dyche really.

Coincidentally I saw this today and I wouldn't have thought we'd be associated with Everton and Brentford but only Everton, W Ham, and Forest get the ball quicker faster than us, and only Everton, Luton and Shef U have fewer passes per sequence.
... graphics omitted
I hadn't seen your post before I posted mine, I swear! Change the "Zones of Control" graphic to the "Bivariate" version and it might make more sense. In that format we look a little more like the top 4 sides than the bottom 4. That seems more consistent with our position in the table.

I hadn't seen your post before I posted mine, I swear! Change the "Zones of Control" graphic to the "Bivariate" version and it might make more sense. In that format we look a little more like the top 4 sides than the bottom 4. That seems more consistent with our position in the table.
From the tenth game onwards we pretty much are a top 5 -6 team......incredible really.

Liverpool are set to open talks with Feyenoord on Wednesday over manager Arne Slot as they search for Jurgen Klopp's successor.

Klopp announced in January he would leave Anfield at the end of the season and the Reds have been conducting extensive research around a number of candidates.

Slot, who led Feyenoord to the 2022-23 Eredivisie title, has emerged as a candidate who fits Liverpool's criteria.

Liverpool are set to open talks with Feyenoord on Wednesday over manager Arne Slot as they search for Jurgen Klopp's successor.

Klopp announced in January he would leave Anfield at the end of the season and the Reds have been conducting extensive research around a number of candidates.

Slot, who led Feyenoord to the 2022-23 Eredivisie title, has emerged as a candidate who fits Liverpool's criteria.

He should slot in just fine. I’ve heard he is like a machine…

Yeah I agree with him. I don't think we should be sensitive about being described as direct. We generally do it really well in a controlled and clever way and it is pleasing on the eye.
Its hardly Cambridge United or Wimbledon, and the team can mix it up when needed.

;