Gavin Kilkenny

1. For me he’s been our best player in preseason and the first 2 competitive games. 4 games of good form is fair imo. Granted it’s not like months and months of consistency; but for me, like I said, he’s been our best player period in terms of executing his role.

2. As someone who loves stats and used them to big up players like Rico- stats aren’t everything. I’d imagine SP will have been impressed with his determination to get on the ball and make himself available and his mental approach to the game more than anything. That aside, he also made more than a couple notable forward passes, lots of interceptions, and helped dictate the rhythm of the game from deep. Everything you could want in a deep lying midfielder.

There’s also just that “eye test”; I can see why players like Rico didn’t pass it despite having mostly incredible stats. Kilkenny has an air about him this season; he doesn’t really play like a youth. The games I’ve seen this season he really does seem like he’s been there for years.

3. Agreed

4. Agreed :grinning:
Completely agree with that eye test. The most recent memory players to do that in pre season before Kilkenny 2 years ago for me were Danjuma, and King when they both first signed for us.

Kilkenny is the Man...the fact he didn't cost anything will arch the backs of the Elitists.....but plenty of posters have mentioned his skills and potential so why wouldn't he be the one to give us someone to build on...

Whilst still not as good as first team football, lets not forget the U21s are in the PL cup this year which is a group phase, so guaranteed 6 games against high (ish) level oppositions...

Like I said, it's never going to rival first team experience, but at least we know the likes of JZ, Anthony and Kilkenny will get at least 7-10 decent games (including league and FA cups) outside of first team championship football over the coming months...
Not sure West Brom did cut though our midfield tbh....I think they just went over it!

1. For me he’s been our best player in preseason and the first 2 competitive games. 4 games of good form is fair imo. Granted it’s not like months and months of consistency; but for me, like I said, he’s been our best player period in terms of executing his role.

2. As someone who loves stats and used them to big up players like Rico- stats aren’t everything. I’d imagine SP will have been impressed with his determination to get on the ball and make himself available and his mental approach to the game more than anything. That aside, he also made more than a couple notable forward passes, lots of interceptions, and helped dictate the rhythm of the game from deep. Everything you could want in a deep lying midfielder.

There’s also just that “eye test”; I can see why players like Rico didn’t pass it despite having mostly incredible stats. Kilkenny has an air about him this season; he doesn’t really play like a youth. The games I’ve seen this season he really does seem like he’s been there for years.

3. Agreed

4. Agreed :grinning:

It's a very valid opinion and view. What I am saying is that sometimes we see what we want to see as fans, and when you get the feedback from neutrals it can be a useful reality check. The ratings across many sites are not just stats but also occasionally from people commenting in some ways.

I see the same potential but I can't say there was any rhythm to our play vs WBA, which for the majority was between Mepham and Kelly. Kilkenny was responsible for 5 accurate long passes, but Travers successfully completed 3 and Mepham 4, with Kilkenny's passing completion bettered by Phil (who is notoriously sloppy).

I just think some moderation and balance is needed at that this early stage of the season. So, I am not knocking him, but neither has he set the world alight enough to be credited with everything you would want in a deep lying midfielder, because I would certainly want more tackles and the ability to get the ball safely off the back four and goalie so everything is not a long clearance. Hopefully, that's what he will demonstrate against Forest and bring us back 3 points.

He's in the U21s so I would assume they think, with these being the final two matches to get to the World Cup, they don't want to risk introducing him in such a crucial set of games. After all, they are...

*checks table*

...below Luxembourg in their qualifying group and have absolutely no chance of qualifying.

You're right. I can't explain it either. Two matches that have lost all meaning where they could have had him around the squad.

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but it would appear that his days may be numbered with us if there's truth behind what is being reported in that he was going to be part of the Bowler deal with Blackpool. Not surprised given the number we now have in midfield.

I can't make my mind up on Kilkenny. Talent obviously there. Loses the ball carelessly in dangerous areas too much, can be a bit of a luxury player and away from home we have sometimes looked better when he has been subbed - Reading for example. Will he progress with us I am not sure, I just don't see him as a game changer..

Too lightweight for a Championship midfielder. He also likes to stand around waiting for the ball instead of moving into space, thus he is closely marked and loses the ball in dangerous positions.

;