GON(E)

IMO the initial GON bounce was largely down to the players being told they were good enough whilst still using Parker's system as the bedrock.

As time has progressed we've seen Parker's system slowly dismantled and replaced with GON's approach.

And this is where we are today.
  • We're not playing in triangles
  • We're not overloading the channels
  • We're missing out the midfield and asking the centre-backs to ping 60 yard balls into congested areas of the pitch.
  • No one seems to have a defined role (see set pieces amongst other things)

Nice insight. I've got no idea what he's trying to do, but whatever it is, it isn't working.

I'm sorry but I do (or did) believe GON has a way of playing, under which THESE PLAYERS can get the ball forward and create chances. It worked for large sections of his first 8-ish games. I would just have wanted him to go back to that - play the tapes if necessary.

The decline can't just be the absence of Tavernier and Neto.

I dont understand what happened against Palace and Burnley - not surprisingly - I'm no different to any of us on here (ANY). I especially dont know what the plan is when our stationary back 4 have no ball which they can play forward and the other 6 are equally stationary making no space.

But this leads me to my current beef (well apart from the NHS, and Sports Direct refusing me a refund). Is there not just one commentator or pundit who has worked under the tactics of building patiently from the back, waiting till the right space appears, and then it's like a hot knife through butter?? And who can therefore offer insight, and critique it, rather than just say 'they should stop taking risks and get it forward'?

under GON originally he got a consistent line up and the team became pretty difficult to create chance against. In that period we were not always creating loads of chances but we were taking those chances.
When losing the easiest thing to do is tinker with a team to try and find the winning formula.
Us as fans during that period want us to create more and bemoaning why JZ wasn’t playing more . JZ offers a threat going forward but defensively is a mess

What’s O’Neil’s preferred pattern of play? I can’t work it out. Looks more and more like Route 1, with opposition CBs gobbling up balls aimed at Solanke and Moore.

What’s O’Neil doing in training??? Practising the long punt?? Oh for Eddie’s triangles, feints and deceptions to open up wide attacks with fast-moving strikers.

What’s O’Neil’s preferred pattern of play? I can’t work it out. Looks more and more like Route 1, with opposition CBs gobbling up balls aimed at Solanke and Moore.

What’s O’Neil doing in training??? Practising the long punt?? Oh for Eddie’s triangles, feints and deceptions to open up wide attacks with fast-moving strikers.
I think the idea is a routine of short passing around the back intended to draw the opposition on, and then a direct ball to Solanke / Moore / Billing trying to exploit space behind.

But it could just as well be them trying to play it short and then getting fed up or panicked and hoofing it. It looks just the same at the moment.

This is my main gripe with the present situation, I can't decipher the plan.

I think the idea is a routine of short passing around the back intended to draw the opposition on, and then a direct ball to Solanke / Moore / Billing trying to exploit space behind.

But it could just as well be them trying to play it short and then getting fed up or panicked and hoofing it. It looks just the same at the moment.

This is my main gripe with the present situation, I can't decipher the plan.
I don’t think our players can decipher it either….

Excellent thread from Ahmed Shooble on the plan and why it is no longer working.

It is an interesting thread

Having a game plan that relies on defending and countering when you've already conceded the first goal after 15 minutes, 19 minutes, 23 minutes, and 6 minutes in our last 4 games - is a disaster.

I would say:
a) we need a plan for when we have the ball with the opposition in front of us, regardless of score. We can't just rely on counter situations. Even the counter based attacks are clearly not working because time and time again we refused the option to counter on Satuday by passing it sideways anyway.

b) I would disagree that we "simply don't have the attacking firepower to go toe-to-toe with teams like they did last season". We couldn't against everyone clearly, and we probably couldn't for 90 minutes. But we've got enough evidence to suggest we have firepower to cause problems against middling sides.

If we only try to attack teams over whom we have several times the larger budget, that's a sad indictment of our mentality. And where we all that attack minded last season even?! I would argue not especially.

It is an interesting thread

Having a game plan that relies on defending and countering when you've already conceded the first goal after 15 minutes, 19 minutes, 23 minutes, and 6 minutes in our last 4 games - is a disaster.

I would say:
a) we need a plan for when we have the ball with the opposition in front of us, regardless of score. We can't just rely on counter situations. Even the counter based attacks are clearly not working because time and time again we refused the option to counter on Satuday by passing it sideways anyway.

b) I would disagree that we "simply don't have the attacking firepower to go toe-to-toe with teams like they did last season". We couldn't against everyone clearly, and we probably couldn't for 90 minutes. But we've got enough evidence to suggest we have firepower to cause problems against middling sides.
We managed to take on Villa, Forest, Leicester and Everton reasonably well. Played some good but eventually pointless games V Spurs and Leeds.

I think we are missing Tavernier quite badly.

Excellent thread from Ahmed Shooble on the plan and why it is no longer working.

Interesting read, plus this bit in reply to a post.

Ahmed Shooble
@AhmedShooble

·
14h

Replying to
@shakieran87
Not necessarily one quality creator, there can be multiple. And it might require an overhaul of the current playing style to accommodate. But you've got the idea. Without a proper link between the midfield and attack, those deeper feel obliged to take more risks + panic

So wonder when will we be bringing him as an advisor as well as his journalistic duties.

I can actually understand why he hasn’t been sacked yet.

In this age when releasing an official statement regarding a managerial departure, it is common practice to include in the statement, a picture of the corner flag with the club crest in it.

The club are clearly terrified that we would then just proceed to concede from that corner.

We managed to take on Villa, Forest, Leicester and Everton reasonably well. Played some good but eventually pointless games V Spurs and Leeds.

I think we are missing Tavernier quite badly.

Yes I think attacking wide men/central attacking players who can travel with the ball, with half decent pace and flair is what we're crying out for right now.

Last edited:
I think this piece here sums up my comments yesterday about sorting the midfield out and the rest will fall into place...

That #AFCB have the lowest xG from open play (9.13) + fewest open play shots (99) in the league along with the fact that left-back Zemura (1.14) and central midfielder Cook (0.99) have created the most open play chances per 90 shows the team's desperate need for creativity.

I've been to many games this season where we have outplayed sides with quick, precise pass and move football, and we've created plenty of opportunities... GON has moved the pieces around in a hope that we will lose games, and has neglected to remind the players they can also go out and win games as well.., We need a couple of creative players instilled in the side and break up the ineffective partnership of Lerma and Cook, and place more focus on our own game and winning, not the opponents game and not losing...

Still think he'll be gone after we lose to Brentford...

I can actually understand why he hasn’t been sacked yet.

In this age when releasing an official statement regarding a managerial departure, it is common practice to include in the statement, a picture of the corner flag with the club crest in it.

The club are clearly terrified that we would then just proceed to concede from that corner.

Haha spot on observation re the corner flag thing/crest clubs use... P

It's almost industry standard isn;t it. Perhaps we put bin liners over them when training, not to trigger negative thoughs... or more likely some kind of custom made velvet pouch with the crest on it.

A bit like how certain articles in the Echo have pictures of people looking grumpy with their arms crossed.

;