Good news thread

Not as common as they used to be around Dorset these days Stan.
When I was a kid we used to see Bullfinches and Greenfinches quite regularly. I remember seeing a Hawfinch down here once. Never see any of them now where I live unfortunately.
Its incredibly sad that so many once common birds are now in serious decline and Britain is suffering some of the worst declines in the world with no real desire to address it. Greenfinches are making a remarkable comeback after nearly being wiped out by disease so hopefully you’ll see them again very soon.

We have linnets in our company carpark and just over the road two Lapwings have been holding off the crows for about a week now, the birdlfe here is absolutely amazing for a slag heap next to a steel works, there is hope yet.

Saw 2 Green Hairstreaks and 2 Small Copper butterflies enjoying the sunshine today on the heath. Probably 12 Nightingales in the woodlands too. Beautiful time of year, especially for nature lovers.

Got some spuds from Christchurch market today,

Me - "And I'll have some spuds, please Dan".
Dan - "Do you want New Potatoes?"
Me - "Of course I flippin' do, why would I want pre-owned second hand ones" : )

Think it’s either him or the other one who is a Saints fan when I spoke to him.

Think it’s either him or the other one who is a Saints fan when I spoke to him.

He used to have an interest in them Billy but as with a lot of their fans, "Football, especially the Premier League, ain't as good as it was" : )

Dan's a good lad, grew up with Wade Elliot, they got me a signed training top, years ago when Wade was still with the club. They didn't know my name, so it was signed "Thanks for your support ------, Wade Elliott" and I had to fill the blank in : )

He used to have an interest in them Billy but as with a lot of their fans, "Football, especially the Premier League, ain't as good as it was" : )

Dan's a good lad, grew up with Wade Elliot, they got me a signed training top, years ago when Wade was still with the club. They didn't know my name, so it was signed "Thanks for your support ------, Wade Elliott" and I had to fill the blank in : )

Seemed a nice bloke, said he didn’t go anymore, partly I think the cost.

Lady who works there saw my AFCB coat when we were in the Championship last season and said Up the Cherries, not sure if she comes from Southampton or not.

Its incredibly sad that so many once common birds are now in serious decline and Britain is suffering some of the worst declines in the world with no real desire to address it. Greenfinches are making a remarkable comeback after nearly being wiped out by disease so hopefully you’ll see them again very soon.
Yes we’ve noticed Greenfinches seem to be back in better numbers now. It was a couple of years ago I think when there was a nasty fungal infection affecting them and declining numbers but not seen that this year which is good, they’re back on the feeders. We’re disinfecting our feeders once a week now too just to prevent any disease- a good practice imo.

;