Guinness or Heineken?

billythekid

UTC Legend
Two brands which have for decades been among the biggest commercial backers of elite European rugby are engaged in a multimillion pound bidding war to become the Premier League's next brewing partner.

Sky News has learnt that Guinness, which is owned by the FTSE-100 drinks giant Diageo, and Heineken have tabled rival proposals to replace Budweiser at the end of this season.

Insiders said this weekend the 20 top-flight clubs were briefed last week about the interest from the two brands.

Two brands which have for decades been among the biggest commercial backers of elite European rugby are engaged in a multimillion pound bidding war to become the Premier League's next brewing partner.

Sky News has learnt that Guinness, which is owned by the FTSE-100 drinks giant Diageo, and Heineken have tabled rival proposals to replace Budweiser at the end of this season.

Insiders said this weekend the 20 top-flight clubs were briefed last week about the interest from the two brands.

Neither.

I'd rather drink my own urine.

Guiness is shite, worst stout around..so many better out there..just my opinion of course

Sure but if you find yourself in a pub that looks like this you are not likely to be able to get a pint of Rye Hipster Brunch Stout are you?

Screenshot_2024-04-16-17-53-51-819_com.google.android.apps.maps-edit.jpg

More than happy with a few Heinekens on a match day, if I’m not driver.

Nothing wrong with a pint of Guinness if it’s done well. Hard to drink a few of ‘em though! A meal in a glass!

Guiness is shite, worst stout around..so many better out there..just my opinion of course
Agree with this, although as Derek says, in the absence of any proper beer, it is a decent fallback option.

For me, having lived in Germany for 13 years, Heineken is a terrible lager. Worse still is Heineken 0% which somehow, after all these years of beer development, still manages to taste worse than Kaliber did back in the 80s !!!

I love Murphy’s Irish Stout but since the Guinness brewery has most of the world’s Irish pubs in its sweaty paws, it is becoming increasingly hard to find on draught.

Last edited:
Agree with this, although as Derek says, in the absence of any proper beer, it is a decent fallback option.

For me, having lived in Germany for 13 years, Heineken is a terrible lager. Worse still is Heineken 0% which somehow, after all these years of beer development, still manages to taste worse than Kaliber did back in the 80s !!!

I love Murphy’s Irish Stout but since the Guinness brewery has most of the world’s Irish pubs in its sweaty paws, it is becoming increasingly hard to find on draft.
Agree. Murphys is far better. I can't even find it in their usual draught tins anymore as ive heard they they have gone bust. Is there any outlets that still sell it?

Agree. Murphys is far better. I can't even find it in their usual draught tins anymore as ive heard they they have gone bust. Is there any outlets that still sell it?
Wouldn’t surprise me if they have gone bust.
Back in the days when maybe half of all Irish pubs were independent, you stood a reasonable chance of finding one that had Murphy’s on draught. But over time, more and more Irish pubs seem to be tied to the Guinness brewery and subsequently only sell Guinness and Guinness beers, such as Kilkenny ( Hi Gav ! ).
Never found Murphy’s draught tins but I have bought it in bottles and it’s simply not the same thing as Murphy’s on draught !

;