Harry Arter

its totally stupid to compare Arter and Gosling, they are different types of midfield player. It's all about which players complement each other best. EH clearly doesnt think Arter and Cook are good together.

Gosling has been instrumental in a number of games in 2018. Arter hasn't played well this season and didn't exactly pull up many trees last season. We've literally just come off the back of our best ever run in this league and you're saying Gosling has never done it. Do you just ignore it when he plays well because you don't like him?

If you want to pick our side based on how well people used to play why not get Darren Anderton in there?

Neil Dawson - 11/2/2018 17:04
He is the best central midfielder at the club and he battles..... of course we missed him.

Sorry Neil but that hard-on you've got for Arter has drained the blood and common sense from your brain.

Arter was stunning in the Championship and for the first season and a half in the PL he did well.

However, sadly, he's not been the best midfielder at DC for quite a while and can't be when he's been off form for so long.

You mentioned 'playing him back into form' - why would any manager do that when his side was been on the best run in the club's history?

I think this boils down to whether or not you believe that run would never have happened had any one of those players not been available. Had Smith played right back for the whole run or had Stan been available for the whole run for example I still think we would have got the same results.

Similarly...had Arter or Surman played with Cook instead of Gosling I still think we would have. Gosling was good in those games but he wasn’t the sole reason we didn’t lose. He also didn’t play in one of the games, Arter did.

Arter probably would have been given a chance to play his way back in to form if his discipline was better.

When he’s off form he does stupid things and almost becomes a liability.

Little bit too similar to play with Cook I feel and that’s why Gosling gets the nod.

If we replaced Gosling and invested in a player with real quality we would be a much more reliable team.

Gosling wouldn’t get into many other teams if any in this league.

He runs around a lot, that’s about it.

Tracking back is awful, he thinks if he just chases the guy with the ball that’s his job done.

Positional sense sometimes almost catastrophic, often getting in the way of his own players, or being too far away from the opposition.
You
First touch woeful.

Pretty weak in the tackle, average in the air.

Range of passing is pretty poor. You never see Gosling rake an accurate ball over the top to a player on the wing.

He’s just a modern day Marvin Bartley without the aggression.

No thanks.

Interesting that Neil thinks Arter is the best midfielder at the club. Apparently you cannot use last season as a guide Neil, you have told me that endlessly this season as I pointed out our results have not been bad this year.

But as normal, when it suits Neils agenda, you can use any historical performances to prove your point.

As mentioned on another thread, if you are suggesting we should have started Arter yesterday then you are clearly now on a wind up.

Cook IS the better player. Now and going forward. I'm a big Harry fan and love him playing but Cook is the better midfielder and is only getting better.

Arter not close to being the best midfielder at the club anymore. Surman has had a better season. I'd have Arter in about 5th place at the moment, hopefully he'll turn it around.

Nobody has ever suggested replacing Cook with Arter Druss....

You don’t lose talent unless you are over 33 and your legs might go. So referencing a players ability in a previous season is more relevant than your referencing a result with different players, managers and circumstances which is laughable.

Not sure why people, correctly, give a lot of credit to our management team for developing and motivating players but when one isn’t it’s apparently their own fault? Can’t have it both ways.

With Arter though it could quite feasibly be his own fault. Not based on fact before anyone jumps down my throat! But there are attitude issues there without doubt.

Why don't you think he's playing Neil if he is indeed our best midfielder?

The game wasn't lost in midfield though, as bad as we were there. It was lost because of an insanely dodgy defensive performance, individual errors from Cook/Francis and a gaping chasm of space to exploit down the flanks.

Would Arter have helped this? No. Not really.

Arter was well below his best for the end of last season and start of this, he couldn't seem to play his way back into form.
Surman and Gosling stared the season below their best, Gosling has shown the most improvement of the established midfielders.

The PL culture of players going from hero to zero to hero seems popular now AFCB are an established PL club. Given injuries and suspensions it is likely everyone in the first team squad will be needed to stave off relegation/grab a Europa League spot.

I am sorry if the point has been raised already but Taylor was in the squad and EH commented that Ibe and Pugh were carrying injuries. No mention of Arter? I find it hard to believe he is below an U 21 player in the pecking order so what is happening with him?

It doesn’t look great, I thought that when they named Taylor after Arter played in the U21s.

Still...wait for our intrepid Echo journalists to ask the searching question and get to the bottom of it....oh no....they are too busy asking yet another player ‘so, when you concede an equaliser that late, does it feel like a defeat’

There was an interview with Solent where Eddie was very brief on the subject. Does certainly sound like there are issues, though we're not likely to find out what they are.

It seems to me that there is something troubling Harry that is personal and not football related and Eddie is trying to protect him, hence why the Echo seems to have been warned off the subject and the Club is not commenting on his fitness or availability.

As most of you know, I picked up the team just after it was promoted. Not much TV coverage of the Championship here. Arter was a big story because of the family tragedy. But, you couldn't help but notice him, running at the opposition like his kit was on fire, disrupting, playing with that edge that made me, a new fan, just love the guy. I miss him already, if he is to go I wish we would see one more flash. It occurs to me that he was also front and centre in the Anything is Possible video. Never seemed quite the same after the World Cup Qualifying.

He is still a young man,and I don't think the loss of a child can be underestimated,the feelings he had won't go away just like that,the fact he had another child may have made his feelings worse.
He may be suffering from depression for all we know and the club as you say rightly are protecting him.

The only strange thing is a couple of weeks ago he said/I read that he had asked to play in an under 23 game, he’s also been featuring on the bench which he wouldn’t necessarily do if he wasn’t fit or in the right mindset. I wouldn’t be surprised if he demanded to move in January and the club blocked it and there is some ill feeling there between him and Eddie. Of course all speculation and I hope everything is ok personally behind the scenes. But I would be very surprised if he is still here come August

;